“Great place to walk dogs, go for a jog or walk around”
Review of Kings Heath Park

Kings Heath Park
Ranked #58 of 284 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: The location of the BBC's Gardeners World, this delightful park serves as a family gathering place for picnics and recreation.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great place to walk dogs, go for a jog or walk around”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Great place for walking dogs and in doing so you'll most likely bump into dogs first thing in morning or late afternoon. I have been visiting this park from the age of a toddler with several play areas and plenty of grass for those that love a bit of footy. Tea rooms are nothing to get excited about, you are best off visiting local shops for drinks and ice creams! Generally clean and litter for free - one of the better parks in Birmingham, particularly South brum!

Visited June 2013

Birmingham UK
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Park needs work and Tea room management ruined our day.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visit this park about once or twice a week. There are other parks closer to where we live, but this park is the only park we know of that has toilet facilities that are clean and fine to use. The park also has a car park but spaces are limitied and I have seen many people have to turn and leave. The park needs some work and updating. There is a large pond that could look beautiful but it has been neglected and now resembles a smelly swamp. The landscapes also need some work as they too, have been neglected. There is a childrens play area, a tennis court and a bowling green. There is also an on site nursery, where you can purchase flowers, plants etc but this closes at 2.30 or 3pm. This could be a very beautiful park if only the council would spend some money on it.

On a separate note I would like to say the following with regards to the Victorian tea rooms which are located at the centre of Kings Heath Park:-

Myself and my husband have been regular customers of these tea rooms for several years. We go out of our way to visit these tea rooms as we like the pleasant atmosphere and the quality of coffee and food. Having said that this is not the cheapest cafe in the world, a pot of coffee for two and two lots of sandwiches comes to about £13.00. One of the main reasons we go is that this one of the few park cafes that has toilet facilities and onsite parking. Over the years the family who run the tea rooms have come to know us and we were more than happy to sign their petition to keep the tea rooms run by the family and we genuinely felt for them when they were temporarily closed down by the council. Today (14th May) I decided to treat my husband and my parents to afternoon cream teas as it was my husbands 50th Birthday. Upon arrival we noticed lots of people heading for the the rooms and that some of these people were giving us unpleasant looks. I have no idea why. We entered the tea rooms, which was very busy with lots of elderly customers drinking wine or champagne. Such was the amound of people myself and my parents could not get through the crowd, but my husband managed to get to the counter where he spoke with the owner. My husband asked if he could make an order and was told rather abruplty NO. When my husband asked why he was told, again rather abruplty, that there was a private function in process. My husband was turned away and was acutely embarressed, as were we all. Everyone turned to look at us in a rather derogatory manner, and I felt very much for my husband who felt humiliated. No apology was made to us and no offer was made for us to return another day. We all scuttled out like some unwanted group of tramps, made to feel by everyone in the tea rooms, as unwelcome in the extreme. We feel very much let dowin by the owner who knows very well we are regular loyal customers. The reaction to our refusal to be served by the other customers, was totally unwarranted. We all returned home feeling rather upset. This is the thanks we get for supporting this business. There are several other venues we could go to that are much nearer home, which from now on we will visit. The cafe does not accept credit or debit cards, which at times has caused us some real inconvenience, but we have, once again, gone out of our way to get some cash, in order that we may visit this establishment. We will never be going back there and neither will any of our family and friends after the way we were treated.

19 Thank diamondlady11
Birmingham, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“good for the kids”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

nicely laid out, shame about the amount of dog poo. Good area for smaller children - enclosed with a few things to play on. Garden areas well kept, nice area for basketball. good places to play cricket, football or take the bikes. pathways well kept.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank ConeyImagesPhotograp
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A lovely park to visit!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I visitors this park on the bank holiday weekend.
It was nice and hot, took a piknic. Had a sun bathe on the grass.

Then later on in the day took a walk down to the cafe at the bottom and brought a nice cold icecream. So much space for bikes, scooters, dogs e.c.t and a small childrens park and a big childrens .
Great park been going here since I was tiny

1 Thank 8286holt
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent park for small families”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Friendly little cafe with outside seating during the summer. Two small playgrounds including one with a zip wire. A decent size pond with ducks and a bowling green. Excellent local park.

1 Thank Steve C