“A perfect day to visit these Wonderful Gardens”

Birmingham Botanical Gardens and Glasshouses
Ranked #44 of 289 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fifteen acres of glorious landscaped gardens with over 7000 plants, shrubs and trees - and a new Butterfly House. Close to Birmingham city centre, this hidden tranquil setting also has four glasshouses taking the visitor from the hot steamy heat of the Tropical rainforest with its rich vegetation, through to the Sub-Tropical House with its stunning palms and tree ferns. The visitor moves through to the Mediterranean House, with its citrus plants and bright conservatory-type blooms - and finally to the stark contrast of the Arid House with desert climate and stunning cacti.
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The gardens were absolutely wonderful. The species of plant life was extraordinary. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and was amazed on your collection of cacti, especially the "prickly pear" tree.
I loved every minute. The only down side was my inability to donate funds to the Gardens. I wanted so very much to make a memorial in the name of my grandmother, who came to the United States in 1916 from her home in Birmingham. I have attached a photo of her, taken in 1916. Unfortunately I was unable to do so. Although my contribution was not accepted, I hope that the gardens will supply wonder, beauty, and knowledge to the future generations.
Barbara Cowell
Las Vegas, NV USA

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We visited on a beautiful sunny August bank holiday, expecting to be there for an hour or so.

It turned out to be 5 hours, wandering the paths with our brochure and gawping at the beautiful displays, and wondering 'how can we grow that at home in our little garden'! A band was playing on the lawns in the afternoon, which was nice to sit and watch.

I can understand that on a dull or rainy day, it might not be such a spectacle, but we considered it well worth the money, in the height if summer.

The gardens would have got an Excellent rating, if it were not for the extortionate prices in the tearooms. If I had had my wits about me, I'd have popped into Morrisons on the way and picked up a decent pasty for half the prices they were charging. They could do with a few more staff at busy times.

Make sure that you log your car registration number at reception to get free parking for your visit!

1  Thank Twonicemice
Reviewed September 18, 2013

It was a cloudy day with bursts of sunshine and blue skies; a temperate warmth made it a perfect day for a peaceful stroll around Birmingham's hidden treasure, Edgbaston’s Botanical Gardens. In contrast to the bustling City Centre it was exactly what we needed, peace, tranquility and an opportunity to enjoy a variety of colourful and interesting structural plants to view. Put simply, it was a relaxing experience.

There are excellent disabled facilities and the wheel chair access provided an inclusive experience for visitors of all ages and abilities. The paths allow visitors to gently saunter around the various areas of the manicured gardens without any noticeable bother. Families with young children are encouraged to explore the various nooks and crannies that have been incorporated within the landscaped gardens and of course, the adventure playground is suitably equipped for our energetic grandchildren.

A visit to the butterfly house is always a positive experience as nature never ceases to surprise. There is always something magical about observing the various stages in the evolution of butterflies and we even managed to photograph some rare species as they conveniently perched themselves on visitors.

We noticed that some visitors came prepared with packed lunches and enjoyed their picnics sitting alongside tropical plants as their backdrop. The cafe/Bistro offered freshly cooked meals and a selection of sandwiches and refreshments. We enjoyed a decaffeinated coffee and a modest toasted tea-cake and chatted with the pleasant catering staff . Maybe, the menu was a tad expensive for larger family groups, but at least there’s the option of bringing your own packed lunch and eating al fresco. An afternoon tea & coffee accompanied by a buttered scone (or was that a toasted tea cake), rounded off a very pleasant day.

All in all, we enjoyed the experience and recommend you pay a visit to Birmingham's Botanical Gardens, located in the leafy suburb of Edgbaston & only a mile away from Birmingham’s vibrant City Centre.

Regards,

Paul R

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Two of us visited on an overcast but mostly dry day.
It's a pleasant enough walk around a compact site. Plenty of interest with the indoor plants, aviary, gardens, herb garden (strong curry plant!) and occaisonal nooks and corners. The cafe was fine.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We arrived and once navigated the ridiculously small car park, we started our afternoon in Botannical Gardens. Ironically there isn't really a big collection in indoors, but excellent outdoors spaces, different gardens, lots of new and unusual plants to see. We spent a full afternoon there, listening to the brass band. We had lunch which food was good, carpets could do with a makeover, and toilets didn't work. So some simple maintenance needed. Definitely worth a visit.