“Main Wing ok annex is a dump”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Had to be in the NEC for work. Hotel was overbooked apparently, so i got a room in the annex. Awful small rooms. Colleagues had rooms in the main building and those were good rooms. Breakfast is ok and so is THE sports centre (apart from a very slippery floor). Service was good in the sports centre. Quite poor service at reception (queuing at the Hilton honors desk was min15 min longer wait. Food in bistro is definitely not recommended.
All in all not a nice stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to leave your comments on this website regarding your recent visit to the hotel.

We were concerned to learn that you were disappointed with the room were you allocated upon arrival. Naturally, the hotel has differing room types and sizes and regret you were unable to occupy one of our larger rooms on this occasion.

Whilst we were pleased to read your comments regarding our LivingWell facility and your breakfast experience, were concerned that you were less than satisfied with our Bistro. We usually receive very high praise and positive feedback regarding this outlet, however we do have other food outlets throughout the hotel which may suit your particular taste.

We do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Executive Management

Write a ReviewReviews (5,507)

Reviewed July 26, 2010

We arrived at the hotel around 5pm, check in was very busy, but as Hilton Honours Diamond members, we went to the Honours check in queue, which was empty, quite correctly, when we approached the desk the receptionist advised a guest from the long queue who thought we were pushing in that we were Hilton Honours members and had priority.
We are also entitled to a space available upgrade, although we were advised that no executive doubles were available, we could have had an executive twin but settled for a standard double, which although a little small, was adequate for our needs and was also nice and clean.
Again as Diamond members, we are granted access to the Executive lounge, where there is an open bar for a couple of hours in the evening as well as canapés and snacks. We went up to the executive lounge but did not stay long as there were quite a few families with small children. The children were running around playing, screaming and using the internet stations to play games. The children were also pawing and touching the food .We went back to our room and ordered some room service as after a busy day on the road, the kids just got us down.
I did mention this on a comment card and did get a letter from the hotel, saying that they would look into my comments. I hope they do.
Breakfast was very busy but fodd quality was good

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on this website, following your recent visit to the hotel.

We were surprised to read your comments regarding children in our Executive Lounge. We note from your details that you last visited the hotel in the early part of the year. I can advise that since your last visit the hotel has reviewed its policy and now has age restrictions in place, which should ensure maximum enjoyment of the Executive Lounge facility for all guests.

I was pleased to note that you had an enjoyable breakfast experience.

I do hope we may welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

We booked this as treat for our youngest daughter, we have to be in Birmingham two days running and we thought a nice hotel for the night would be better for her. We therefore picked the Hilton, family room, seating area, video games in the room - expensive compared to most hotels in Birmingham, but much better for a child.

I even put a comment on the booking request to make sure that we got the room with the video games machine, daughter packed dvds to play on it this evening, it was going to be a real treat.

First problem - the blue badge spaces are behind a barrier. No bell/call system, no clue how to get it lifted, other then by going it to reception. Apparently they offer valet parking if you need it, but my crystal ball was not working... so husband ended up trecking into reception, and back out. Shame I could not see over the reception counter either, so husband had to take over, despite it being my booking. Oh, and have I mentioned the eye watering parking charges? Bizarrely, the credit card charge that went through was £47 more than the amount we should have paid - no idea why?

I was also bewildered, why, when I had booked dinner as part of the package, I was told that the restaurant was not available, we would be eating in the "pub", and that we needed to ring them to be told when we would be eating. I always assumed that hotels worked the other way round, in that the guests decide when to eat rather than the hotel staff deciding for them, but not here.

Anyway, went upstairs to our "family" room. First point: this is not a family room with a seating area, as the seats are converted into beds if you want a child in the room. The gap between the main bed and the folded out sofa bed was smaller than the width of my wheelchair - so I reckon under 30cm. Old fashioned tv, made our 10 year old model look fashionable. Dingy carpet. Rusty railings outside of the window. No mini bar. Bath room is tucked into an acute angle of the room, the smallest hotel bathroom I have ever seen - and that includes bed and breakfast places. Most important, no playstation.

We ring reception, and get told that the hotel has not done those for months. They did look to see if they could find an old one, but no, they have taken them all out.

We ended up coming home, our 11 year old daughter decided that she would rather do the motorway twice than stay in such a dingy, cramped room.

Oh - and they charge for the wired internet in the room, this hotel does not even provide wifi - how this hotel is supposed to be 4 star beats me.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2010

First impressions of this hotel were not what I would have expected from a Hilton hotel. We had booked one night's stay including parking for one week for the sole purpose of catching an early morning flight at Birmingham Int'l the following morning, and having a space for our car for the duration. We arrived to find no parking spaces available. Guests for a large function were gathering in the foyer which I assume was the reason for the lack of parking. I spoke with the receptionist who immediately pointed out to me that the package I had booked did not guarantee a parking space. This was not true and none of the paperwork I had specified that this was the case - we would not have booked it if it was. The best she could offer was to try to see if the barrier was still up at the NEC and if so to use that. When I asked whether I could leave the car there for the week as arranged (and without charge), she did not exactly fill me with confidence and I had visions of us returning to a significant bill from NEC. She then suggested that we move the car in the morning over to the Hilton car park (if there was a space). Not so easy when you are catching a 6:30am flight, particularly as she had no idea whether a) the NEC car park would be open, or b) whether Hilton would have a space. This whole situation was resolved by another member of staff who could be bothered to help us, and opened up a small area at the front of the building which did have one or two spaces available. Without this I really have no idea what we would have done with our car for the duration of our holiday. Very very poor, and certainly not the relaxed start to our holiday that we had planned. I particularly objected to the 'whatever' attitude displayed by the receptionist. I would never book this hotel for the same purpose again. The last thing I want at the start of a holiday is this kind of problem.

After the parking debacle things did improve. My fiancee and I enjoyed a lovely meal in one of the restaurants and the service was excellent. The room was clean, comfortable and well furnished. In fact the remainder of our stay fulfilled the expectations I'd had beforehand.

I would absolutely not book another room/parking package here despite the recovery in service etc later on. It's just too much of a risk. I see that Hilton review these comments and so will make a suggestion. If you cannot guarantee parking for customers who pay for a week upfront, then do not advertise it and take people's money. Another simple solution would be to review those arriving each day who have pre-booked parking, and reserve spaces for them.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on this website, following your recent visit to the hotel.

I do regret the confusion you experienced with regards to parking your car. On your day of arrival, the hotel was particularly busy and the car park was full to capacity. However, I am pleased to note that we were able tgo find a suitable space for you to park your car. In cases such as these, we would of course always endeavour to make suitable arrangements for our guests on hotel and park packages.

Your comments and observations will be discussed with our Front Office Manager with a view to improving levels of service.

Although initially disappointed with the level of service you received, I was pleased to learn that you and your fiancee enjoyed our restaurant facilities and the remainder of your stay was pleasureable.

Once again my sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced and do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

Only one complaint! We were charged for using the Hotel car park!

We stayed in the hotel for the convenience of being so close to the NEC and then had a good 10 minute walk to get to our exhibition. If we had realised this we would have taken the car and parked for free nearer the exhibition halls.

You have no choice but to take the parking ticket on the way in. I think this is very poor. There is no advantage to exhibition users who are not staying in the hotel to use the car park due to the distance, therefore it is only the hotel guests who are penalised. This did blight an otherwise excellent hotel, great food and very friendly staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

Dear Guest

We were pleased to note that you found your stay with us enjoyable. The hotel does operate a car park charging policy and full details are found on our website. Naturally, residents do receive a preferential rate for parking.

We do hope we may welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2010

We have used this hotel several times on trips to the National Exhibition Centre of the LG Arena which are both within a very short walking distance. It is a large and busy hotel but very well run and, as individual travellers, we did not feel in any way inferior to the large number of conference delegates.

The staff are always excellent and they are just as good as they were in the late 90s when I used to stay at this hotel for business conferences. Mind you, we generally find that service is good in Hilton hotels that we have stayed at.

For something special book an Execuitve Room and you get access to the Executive Lounge with free drinks and snacks with a peaceful place to relax.

There is a good leisure club and we always enjoy the pool area and steam room etc.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review of the hotel on this website, following your stay with us.

We were delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel recently and that you still found the service provided to be excellent.

We were also pleased that you enjoyed our Executive Lounge facility and took advantage of the fabuluous LivingWell Leisure Club.

We look forwarding to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 7, 2010

Here for a conference. Car parks full staff very unhelpful setting new, low standards in this area. After a few minutes hotel's fire alarm started. Not the hotel's fault - there was a schools' kitchen supplies exhibition with burners in the main hall - but the first thing to evaporate was the hotel staff. Conference break out rooms not equipped as requested. Not a roaring success.

ConventionBirmingham, Executive Management at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent visit to the hotel on this website.

We were sorry to learn that you found the car park full when you arrived at the hotel. Although we have over 700 car parking spaces, once these are exhausted we do make alternative arrangements with the NEC for guests to park on an adjacent facility, and this facility was available on the day of your visit.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused as a result of the fire alarm being activated. Naturally, the safety of our guests and employees is paramount and we can advise that the evacuation was handled in accordance with Fire Regulations and witnessed by the Chief Fire Officer. Although you may not have been aware of staff presence, we can reassure you that the safe evacuation of all guests remains a priority.

Regarding your function rooms not being equipped as requested, we noticed that you were a speaker at the event and therefore have contacted the main organiser to investigate this further.

We do hope you will return to the hotel at some point in the future.

Executive Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#33 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!