Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Tri-Star Hotel(Solihull)
Great 4.5/5
5,721 results
All reviewsthe executive loungehuge hotelcourtesy busbusy hotelgenting arenaleisure facilitiesvisiting the necstayed here for one nightconventionconcertmotorway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We decided to stay here as it was close to the LG Arena only 5 mins walk away, the outside of this hotel is truely awful and doesnt do the hotel any justice. It seems the hotel allows anybody to park in their car park so when we arrived late at 8pm the car park which has 700 spaces was nearly full and the only place we could park as at the side of the hotel next to what looked like a scrap heap with broken down cars and large containers. I personally think a hotel car park should be for paying guest only and not for people visiting the NEC or LG Arena. Once in the hotel your opinion changes, its a good typical Hilton hotel, the reception staff were very polite and the lobby and bar areas are very nice. The breakfast the next day was excellent with everything you need to start the day with. We used the pool and spa the next morning which was ok and clean but nothing special.

I think this hotel is perfect for a stopover night but only if you can get a good rate.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
GUESTSERVICESEXEC, Guest Services Executive at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2008

Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review in respect of your recent visit to the hotel.
The hotel does have some 700 car parking spaces which are normally adequate to accommodate most of our guests, given that the hotel has 800 bedrooms. When our car parks are full, we would try and direct guests to the NEC owned car parks opposite the hotel and I am sorry if this was not made clear to you. I apologise for the condition of the car park you used. The hotel has been undertaking an extensive refurbishment and this car park has been used to house storage containers. These containers should be removed by the end of December.

I was pleased to hear that the rest of your stay was satisfactory.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We value all customer opinion to ensure we continue to provide the quality of service our guests expect.

Reviewed November 28, 2008

We stayed here for one night in November 2008. All staff that we had contact with were polite and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean and what we expected. Breakfast was good and plentiful. The spa area, pool and gym were better than most hotels. Ideal location for concerts at the arena, literally no more than 5 minutes walk from the rear of the hotel. Not impressed with the bar meals or the price of drinks!However would stay again if there is a good deal on offer.

Reviewed November 20, 2008

I booked into this hotel as I had no choice but to stay here as part of a dental conference in Nov 2008. Big mistake...!The reception staff especially one particular lady who i can not mention on this site, was terrible. she does not know how to treat customers. her service and attitude is what i expect from government/cilvl service. even they are starting to give better service than her!!!
why is she working here??? hitlton hotel please give her and some of your other reception staff some customer care training or sack them. otherwise you will hear more bad reviews of your hotel on this site from other customers.

My friend was staying in the same hotel as delegate for the conference. we were double charged for the lounge dinner. My friend was charged for one extra night and when questioned, the attitude of reception staff was that its not their problem and even asked me to fax the bill to them! Dont they have this billing information in their computer?

i ordered a room service pizza, when i opened the lid the pizza smelt very bad. it did not look properly cooked. i think it was just microwaved. it gave me flashbacks of watching rogue restaurants on BBC2. no choice for vegetarians even. the food was overpriced and terrible.

the hotel room reminded me of prisons that i see on TV. there was no window at all!!!!
whilst i was staying there, the AC broke down and the room was very hot. i called room service many times to fix it, but they couldn't. They didnt even bother to offer me another room, instead they gave me a fan to use, but it didnt work properly, so i was still very hot in the room at night.

all in all, i would never ever come back to this hotel unless it's been knocked down and rebuilt and with new hotel management installed that CARES about it's customers.

next time theres a dental conference i will check to see which hotel they are using before i book it.

i already made a complaint to the hotel when i had checked out. i have yet to hear a reply back from them.

i stay at many hotels around the world, and most times they are a good experience. this is the first time i feel let down, especially by a big brand like hilton. i expected more hilton. maybe their staff at this hotel see soo many customers (being next to NEC and holding loads of confreences) that they can not be bothered to be nice to them customers more?

hilton hotels UK i am here waiting to tell you my experience. i just hope you will and then learn from your mistakes and improve on your customer relations at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
GUESTSERVICESEXEC, Guest Services Executive at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2008

Dear Sir or Madam

I was most concerned to learn of the problems you encountered during your stay.

Poor staff attitude is certainly not acceptable and not the standard we set out to achieve, though I have to say that it is more usual for me to receive positive remarks with regard to the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.

I do assure you that management and staff at this hotel always endeavour to provide the very best care for our guests.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment during your stay.

Regards.

Reviewed November 16, 2008

My wife & I stayed at this hotel for a show at the nec, which we go to every year, the last 4 years we stayed at the Crowne Plaza nearby. This year we thought we would try the Metropole, BIG mistake! Before we arrived at the hotel we rang to see if we could book in early, the woman on the phone was very rude and unhelpful, not a good start. When we checked in we were given our meal vouchers (we had paid for dinner, bed & breakfast) then told we could only use them in the carvery restaurant, which we didn't want. I asked the receptionist if this could be transferred, she said not, but after asking for the manager she did transfer allowance to other restaurant. The food in the restaurant was ok, wine very expensive, service was good until it came to the bill, our allowance hadn't been deducted correctly, he then had to check it with reception, no apology for the mistake or hassle. The room was ok, air con a bit pathetic & noisy, it did have a good shower though! On checking out, final bill included breakfast, which we had already paid for in room deal, on enquiring about this I was told that because we'd had it in the room, it was extra, £30 extra! wasn't told we would be charged if we had it in the room. Overall, staff were not as polite or helpful as you would expect for a 4* hotel, parking was a nightmare! definately won't be staying at another Hilton

1  Thank cathy701314

Dear Sir
I was concerned to learn that you were disappointed with your recent visit to the hotel.

Our check in time is 3pm on the day of arrival but we would always endeavour to find rooms for guests wishing to check in earlier, though this is not always possible if the hotel has been full the night before.

Meal vouchers are only transferrable in our Buffet Restaurant which has a fixed price menu. I am sorry if this was not clear at the time.

The hotel prepares breakfast food for the number of guests with breakfast inclusive.
Therefore, if guests order breakfast from Room Service, this has to be cooked from scratch in a different kitchen. Our Room Service menu clearly states that this facility will incur an extra charge.

I am sorry you had difficulty parking, the hotel has some 700 car park spaces which is normally sufficient for our guests.

Once again, my apologies for any disappointment.

Regards

Reviewed November 16, 2008

Stayed at this hotel as we were visiting a show at the NEC and was a bit anxious after reading some of the reviews on here.
From the outside the Hotel looks awful however inside was immaculate.
We arrived an hour earlier than check in and were given our room straight away, the man who checked us in was so friendly and helpful as were all of the staff we came across.
The room was a good size and spotless.
Food and drinks were quite expensive - £6.50 for a pint and half of lager! But other than that could not fault a single thing.
Would definately use this hotel again

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mrs_b25
GUESTSERVICESEXEC, Guest Services Executive at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2008

Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that the level of service you received was to a high standard.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I thank you once again.

Kind regards