“Would have been nice to stay here !!!!”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Ely, United Kingdom
“Would have been nice to stay here !!!!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

After booking a 12 day car parking / room for our return , we arrived at 4am and parked the car , and was drivinen to the airport by the Hilton transit van ... :-)

NOW THE BAD BIT !!!

After leaving Portugal 14 hours earlier , we arrived back at the Hilton via the Transit van ,upon our arrival . we were told ... THERE WAS NO ROOM AT THE INN !!!

Yes they said sorry about 100 times and we were given a letter from the front of house manager . We were told that we had been moved to the nearby Crown Plaza ....

SHOCKING , Not what you would expect from a 5* hotel

WE WILL NOT USE THE HILTON GROUP EVER AGAIN !!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sjbare
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were outbooked to another hotel in the vicinity due to an over-booking situation. This is a very rare occurrence and I very much regret that you were disappointed and inconvenienced as a result of this situation.

I do hope you will reconsider returning to the hotel in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The staff were friendly and polite on arrival/check-in and the room was spacious and comfortable. The best thing about this hotel was the food! The downside was that the bedding and towels were marked/stained and the drinks were over-priced. Overall this is a nice hotel and I wouldn't be put off staying here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Suzanne

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

Whilst I was delighted that you had enjoyed your dining experiences during your stay, I am disappointed that you found the bed linen and towels to be slightly stained. We would of course have been more than happy to have replaced these items had we have been made aware at the time. Nevertheless, please accept my apologies for this lapse in service and I can assure you that I will certainly bring this matter to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper to review with our laundry supplier.

I am glad that despite this issue, we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Stroud
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for one night while attending concert at the NEC.
This is a busy hotel with with large reception area combined with bar, lounge and coffee shop.
The staff were friendly and helpful, although we did not have an evening meal the restaurant provided an excellent breakfast.The rooms are comfortable and clean.
The hotel is an easy 10 minute walk from the LG Arena making it very convenient for major functions.
My only criticism was the delay in getting a drink at the bar when returning at the end of the concert, this in no way reflects on the two bar staff but just the influx of customers in a very short time. In my case I gave up rather than wait, I would suggest arranging staff rotas to meet such a peak which must have been expected.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cotswoldgolfer

Thank you for providing your review following your stay with us when you attended a concertat the LG Arena.

I was very pleased to see that you had found our team here friendly and helpful and you also enjoyed your breakfast experience.

Your comments regarding the staffing levels in the Lounge have been shared with our Lounge Manager and I apologise for any disappointment in tis regard.

I do hope we may see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I attended the 'Return To The 11th Hour' Doctor Who convention expecting top quality service and facilities as I have stayed at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole several times in the past and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Checking in was in itself a pleasant experience as we were met with a warm friendly greeting by efficient staff. This set the standard for the weekend with everybody from housekeeping to bar and restaurant were helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. We were very lucky to have an executive room which was exceptionally spacious and comfortable and comes with the added bonus of access to the executive lounge, which features complimentary food and refreshments and a computer with internet access. Once again a very pleasant stay at, undoubtedly, one of the best hotels in the UK.

Room Tip: Try to book an executive room on the 5th floor. It will enhance your stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Phil

What a great review - thank you!

It's always pleasing to welcome back regular guests and I'm delighted you had yet anothyer enjoyable stay.

We look forward to offering you a warm welcome when you return again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed in the Hilton Metro-pole London & the Hilton Miami & this should NOT be a four / Five star hotel. I have had better service in the Ibis.
There was broken glass on our hotel floor, not enough towel, it took half an hour for fresh towels to be delivered.
The reception staff did not seem surprised that there was glass on the floor, so i can only presume this is a regular occurrence.
To make matters worse House keeping found it acceptable to make lots of noise outside the room at 7am, considering checkout was at 12pm I do not understand why they where outside the room at this time let alone making a tremendous amount of noise.
I complained to the reception staff who assured me the hotel manager will email me, well unless it is in my spam box I am yet to receive this.
I would rate this hotel -5 (it's only not -10 because breakfast was good).
Not recommened

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simone S
Dear Simone

Thank you for your review following your stay at the hotel.

I was surprised to learn that you found broken glass on the floor of your room and can only apologise that our Housekeeping team failed to attend to this. Your comments will be shared with our Executive Housekeeper for review with her team.

Although check out is at 12 noon, the majority of guests do check out before this time and of course our Houekeeping team will be servicing these rooms. Needless to say they are regularly reminded to keep noise disturbance to a minimum whilst servicing rooms. Again these comments will be passed on to the Executive Housekeeper.

I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast experiences and I do hope you will reconsider visiting us again at some point in the future.

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business last week, having arrived at around 9am for my meeting I was advised there were rooms available if I wanted to check in, always a positive start. The check in itself was efficient and courteous however when I went up to my room I was only saved from entering a room with a guest still in it by one of the housekeeping staff who had spoken to the occupant a few moments before, who knows what I would have seen had it not been for that alert lady as my key would almost certainly have opened the door! I was then offered a smoking room as being the only other one ready at that point, which I refused, but then another room suddenly became available. The room itself was a corner one, large, spacious and as it later turned out, very comfortable. After various business events I returned to my room at around 11pm but my attempts to sleep were hampered by a strange whooshing noise which I traced to the window catch being very loose and not allowing the window to close fully. This resulted in a constant 'wooooooo' sound as it was a slightly breezy night. I did not call down at that point as I didn't want a maintenance man in my room a that time of night trying to repair it, and I knew the hotel was full so a different room would not have been an option. These small issues are not the end of the world, but enough to warrant marking down by a point. As noted earlier the room was very comfortable and spacious, the food I had; hot buffet during my meeting, buffet evening meal in the restaurant and a buffet breakfast were all pretty good. At the prices charged for a room here, plus £8 parking even for guests, it needs to be faultless for 5 out of 5!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wanderlust1000
MaxFlude, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Wanderlust1000

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in relation to your stay with us.

I regret that you were advised that a room was ready for you to occupy when this was not the case. Our Front Office Manger is looking into this matter in order to ascertain why the room appeared on our system to be "vacant".

I am sorry that you experienced a fault with your window catch, our Maintenance tam are in the process of checking all window catches to ensure they are not loose.

I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed your dining experiences whilst at the hotel and I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I guess you can only 'speak as you find' but after reading the last few awful reviews I thought I'd share my genuine experience - the reason I say genuine is there are a couple of points in the previous few reviews that just AREN'T true - trust me, we know this hotel VERY well.

We stayed in an Executive Room with a great view of the lake and were very pleased - the bed was extremely comfortable and we slept very soundly during our short break.

It's a bonus getting the Executive Lounge - it's lovely to spend a couple of hours in the evening watching the world go by while enjoying the drinks & nibbles the lounge has to offer.

We had excellent service, a lovely room, a great breakfast - particularly good service on the last day we were there - overall, another great stay and we can't wait to come back in November - in fact we have already booked!

I must admit we paid a little more for our room than normal - due to time of the year I think - but we got our money's worth in the lounge!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jaybee

Thank you so much for your review.

I am delighted you had yet another enjoyable stay with us at the hotel and we very much look forward to giving you a warm welcome when you return again in November.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#23 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!