“Housekeeping lets it down”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Camberley
“Housekeeping lets it down”
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I stayed in the hotel for one night following an award ceremony. A colleague had booked a number of rooms for us and, arriving first, at 1100hrs, I found my room ready. It was an executive room but I was not informed of the location of the executive lounge. The room however was in good order with pristine fixtures and fittings. My collegues' rooms were not ready even at 1700 hrs and they had to be relocated - I believe that one may have been down graded.
Lunch in the bar was expensive but good quality. The dinner at night was excellent - over 1000 covers served with a 5 course meal cooked beautifully - the duck slightly pink and extremely tender, the asparagus was al dente and everything was served with military precision.
Breakfast was excellent with a superb manager ensuring everything ws running smoothly.

However housekeeping need the proverbial boot etc. A towel in my bathroom looked as if it had been used to wipe a muddy floor. A phone call had this replaced with a pile of fluffy and clean towels. Going to bed I spotted that 2 of the pillow slips had black marks all over them. In the morning, when I was returning from breakfast at about 0830, housekeeping were having a jolly old party in the corridors near rooms which were quite clearly displaying 'Do Not Disturb' signs. When I say party I mean just that - music playing and all sorts of raucous behaviour.

Back to the good bit. I filled in a customer questionnaire and detailed the housekeeping issues. One week later I had a polite letter of apology from Marco Foelske, Director of Operations. My issues regarding housekeeping have and will continue to be addressed and I was thanked for my positive comments about the award dinner. The letter made me feel that I was being listened to. Overall, as a business hotel, this Hilton provides what is needed within pleasant walking distance of the NEC, rail station etc.
They just need to get some of their housekeeping elements sorted out.

• Liked — Generally high standards throughout
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (961)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 25, 2008

The hotel is adequate for a purpose such as attending a conference or event at the NEC or availing yourself of one of their fly-away specials for Birmingham International Airport. It wouldn't be a first choice hotel for a romantic get away or much else. The value for money equation isn't stellar. I'm not averse to paying a bit more as long as more is delivered.

The hotel is in the process of a 20m GBP renovation that has some time to go (judging by fit and finish of my room and the adjoining hallways). The lobby areas and restaurants are more appealing as a result.

There are several restaurant and food options on the premises. The most popular (and decent food) is the Gastropub. Should you choose it i highly recommend making a reservation for the Gastropub, otherwise you might very well wait. Yes, what has the world come to when you have to make reservations for a gastropub?

The hotel backs up to a lake and the NEC. It is a nice stroll from the BHX train station, through the NEC, and then around the lake to the hotel. If it is a nice day and you're not carrying too much baggage then it is a pleasant stroll 10 minute stroll. The hotel also has a shuttle running every 30 minutes or so.

• Liked — Proximity to NEC
Kansas
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We usually like Hiltons because Hiltons are very nice. This one is not. I was surprised to see the rooms at the Travel Lodges are exceptionally better than this Hiltons. The room's decor is dingy and old, and the bathroom tiles are loaded with mildew. And the service is even worse. We reserved two rooms, the occupent of the other room had an early flight home. He had ordered Breakfast via room service. They delivered it late and missed him. So, they brought it to our room, waking us up at 7 am. Then soon after 8 am construction started in the hallways, with several guys hammering on the walls at once. Nice. Then just before 9 am room service came back for their tray. 15 minutes after that house keeping is openig our door, not even bothering to knock. And we are justing trying to get some sleep, we are in the music industry and late nights are the usual. Never again will I say yay it's a nice hotel lets stay there. Especially since they are currently drilling on the walls outside our room, and you have to yell to speak to ther other person in the room. All this for only 150 pounds.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Noise, and disruptions by staff.
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

DUBLIN , IRELAND
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Just a one night stay, but very enjoyable nonetheless. Not too far from Birmingham International Airport: the hotel shuttle is precluded from calling to the airport and has to use nearby railway station instead. Not too big an issue really.

A very impressive hotel with lovely reception area. Staff wery welcoming despite the size of the hotel. I was delighted to be upgraded to Executive on foot of Hilton Hhonors vip status.

The room was very comfortable, well appointed and presented. I was delighted to have access to the executive lounge where I partook of some lovely nibbles and chilled Stella Artois.

Pool and sauna/steam room were very welcome after a 6.00am departure from home.

A short but very confortable stay in what is an example of what Hilton Hotels are all about.

• Liked — executive floor
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
sheffield
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Well i stayed at this hotel for 1 night before a flight and to leave the car there for the week to be collected when we arrived back off holiday. First impressions where good, hotel lobby is a nice public area as well as the bar area. reception staff could have done with a bit of a servce refresher course, didnt seem to be with it and it was all a bit fluffed if you get what i mean, but apart from that check in was ok. Went to book the transfer to take us to the NEC rail link so we could get the sky train to the airport, again no probs and the mini bus was to pick us up at 3am., took all car details and what date we was picking it up etc....great. Got up to the room and oh my word, i thought most people knew of the saying 'red and green should never be seen' obviously not Hilton, i thought we had stepped back in time......its was some thing out of an old people home....awful!!! the hairdryer in the bathroom along with the fittings dated around 1950-60's....it was like a time warp....totally not a hilton. we had a room over the front of the hotel and it was so noisy its was beyond a joke. yes we did try to get some shut eye earlier than most because of the 3am start however at 1am there was a bunch of drunken women screaming their lungs out for round 40mins...called down to reception to see what was happening and if they could maybe calm them down a little but this was met with a huge 'not my problem' attitude!!! i could understand if it was 8pm but 1am please? is that so unreasonable.
Then to top it off at Birmingham airport i called the hotel to let them know we had landed and what time and where could the transfer coach pick us up from, the girl told me to go on the sky train and down into the NEC where all the free shuttle bus links are and the hilton mini bus wiill pick us up there at around 12:30 lunch time...brilliant! i said! how wrong was i.........we stood waiting in the cold for 35mins...still no mini bus....calls the hotel to ask if they had forgot us.....the girl had told us the wrong information and we was to walk...suitcases and all right back up to the sky link and wait there however it would be another 45mins now....beyond a joke, im sorry but the last thing you want after a long flight is to be stood hanging about for no reason what so ever, the stupid girl on reception could have saved us over an hour if she gave out the correct info so after all that we decided to walk from the NEC to the hotel as it wold be quicker....all we wanted to do was get in the car and make the 2hour car drive to get back to home sweet home as soon as possible.
will i ever book Hilton again.......I think not and this is coming from a travel agent who knows her stuff!
stay at the novotel on site and the airport or maybe try the ramada encore......nothing could be worse than this hotel surely?!?

• Liked — The chandelier in the lobby...thats it!!!
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING!!
Exeter UK
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for a night and I was a bit disappointed with the room, it was dated and there was mould in the bathroom. That said we slept very well and were both blown away by the great breakfast the following morning.
All in all not a bad hotel, reception staff were friendly and helpful but the rooms need a re-style.

Stayed May 2008
Devon
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I visited the Hilton Metropole to attend an event recently. On approach to the hotel I was less than impressed - the building is grey and dismal with flaking paint and it would appear that the building has been lacking maintenance for some years. On the plus side there was work taking place in the grounds of the building - but I was pleased that I wasn't a guest listening to drilling and banging going on at 9an in the morning.

The rooms which were hired to the conference organisers were of a good standard - however this was ruined by speakers having to compete against diggers only feet away outside the window, plus at the same time ongoing drilling coming from the next door room.

As I say I did not stay in the guest rooms at the hotel, but I feel that the general attitude and appearance of the hotel left much to be desired.

1 Thank LC73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,301 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!