“Very good refurb in executive room”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
England
“Very good refurb in executive room”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Diamond upgrade to executive room after very efficient check in.Parking crowded and difficult but speed at reception offset this.
Room new and of a good standard although pillows poor by Hilton standards.
Very busy conference Hotel so be prepared for hectic bars and lounges.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your review following your visit to the hotel.

I was pleased to see that you had a speedy and efficient check in upon arrival - we always aim to make this a hassle-free experience.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the pilows in your room - I will share your comments with our Executive Housekeeper.

We hope to see you back again very soon.

Ross Mounsey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (961)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Me and my sister stayed here 3 nights and had a great stay. The room was beautiful and the beds were very comfortable, slept really well. The room was very clean and there was a hair dryer, ironing board in the room which was handy. But the only problem in the room was not enough milk and the wifi did not work.
The staff were lovely, very friendly and would always say hello and give you a smile and chat.
The corridors need more light, very dark. I heard some people walk into bottles and cup which were in the corridor, since it was dull they could not be seen.
Other than that, we enjoyed our stay and will be staying at this hotel again next year for the next convention. :)
I would recommend people to stay at this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Louise

Thank you for leaving your review, after you recently attended a Convention at the hotel.

Glad to hear you had such a great stay. We would always be more than happy to provide extra milk if requested - just call Housekeeping next time and they will pop along for you.

I am delighted that you found our team here friendly - we aim to make all our guests feel welcome and I thank you for taking the trouble to comment on this.

Your comments regarding the lighting in the corridor have been noted and will be passed to our Chief Engineer.

We look forward to welcoming you and your sister back again next year.

Bollington, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed here in April for a wedding at the National Motorcycle Museum.
Hotel was in a good location for us, but the rooms were small and the decor could do with an update as seemed very tired.
It was a busy hotel but the rooms were still quiet. Parking has to be paid for

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter

Thanks for your review.

Maybe next time you visit the hotel, I could recommend one of our larger rooms or suites, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. Although we have a parking charge policy, residents do receive a discount on parking.

I hope we hae the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

belfast n ireland
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel may18th single room friends were round in the ibis,£150 for a room for 1 ngt that didnt even have a tv,it was like a business mans room with a table with a light a pen and a notepad lets just say I will not be back to a hilton hotel dont see what the fuss is about waste of money

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Stephen

Thank you for posting your comments following your stay at the hotel.

I was most surprised to learn that you had been allocated a room without a TV. All of our rooms are equipped with TV's, however I am aware that a supply of spare TV's is awaited and I very much regret that we were unable to provide a replacement TV for this room. I will of course share this feedback with the team.

Once again my sincere apologies for any disappointment experienced and I do hope you will reconsider visiting us again in the future.

Birmingham NEC, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel was very tired looking and in desperate need of an uplift and was very dark, the rooms didnt represent a hotel that was £230 a night, and also didnt represent what was shown on the internet, Breakfast was very poor, the hotel parking was very disjointed and the cost of drinking verged on extortion.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Richard S
Dear Richard

Thank you for providing your feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations in relation to your room. We do have a variety of different room types and size and without further detail, I am unsure as to which room type you occupied.

I was surprised to see that you were disappointed with breakfast. We usually receive very positive feedback regarding the quality and variety of choice from healthy options to a full English. However, I apologise for any disappointment.

I am sorry that you experienced difficulty with parking and would advise that our prices are monitored to ensure we remain compeitive with other 4 star hotels throughout the country.

I do hope that any disappointment on this occasion, we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Ross Mounsey

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Oxfordshire,UK
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I really can't describe how disappointed my husband and I were with this hotel. If we hadn't been here for a conference I wouldn't have stayed the full two nights. After the experience I realise they probably don't care what anyone thinks, as it's right next to the NEC and airport so they will always get customers, but I will certainly never go back and even if a conference was being held there, I would stay at the Crown plaza next door instead.
The rooms are OK, a bit small and dated as is the rest of the hotel. They seem to have been left behind in the usual Green credentials so many hotels try to achieve now - they don't care about using/reusing towels and in fact took ours away and didn't replace until I called house keeping.
The 3 lifts took forever to arrive - even at 7am on a sunday. The public toilets around the convention areas where very small cubicles - you could barely get in the door to close it.
There's no nice touches at all, I really did have a higher opinion of Hilton until I stayed here, and everything costs 3 times as much as anywhere else I've been. In all honesty we've stayed at some pretty expensive hotels around the world, but at least in those (most anyway) the service and all round quality was good. They stopped serving food on the Saturday evening in the main bar restaurant as they were too busy - surely with conventions going on they could anticipate that.
It took 5 minutes to even be acknowledged by bar staff when trying to get a drink one night - there were 4 barman and about 10 guests around a big central bar - so slow, didn't even look at us to say they'd be with us in a minute, just carried on slowly doing other non emergency things and talking amongst themselves. 2 standard alcoholic drinks cost over £12! And don't even get me on to the Costa franchise in the lobby where their small range of coffees are actually more expensive than the Costa coffees at the motorway services! I don't think they are doing the brand any favours there.A med Americano in a normal Costa is £2.15, here it was £4.10! At that point I left.
The lunches we had were expensive too, with service charge snuck into the bill - which I didn't notice the first time so they got a double tip out of me.
As I say the only thing that wasn't disappointing was the buffet breakfast which was unusually efficient and had a reasonable range of food options available.
I have to say I'm seriously worried about the Hilton I've booked for our main holiday in Oregon later this year and may re-consider for an alternative hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JRD_Oxon
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to see that you were disappointed with certain elements of your stay with us. Firstly, I can assure you that we most certainly do care what our guests think and we always endeavour to provide the highest possible levels of service. I do regret on the occasion of your visit, this proved a little challenging at times, and do hope you will accept my sincere apologies for any lapse in service. Your comments will of course be shared with the management team for their review.

Whilst we are indeed a large hotel, large sums have been invested to ensure the highest standards are maintained. I am sure youu will appreciate, the hotel has a wide variety of room types and sizes and perhaps I could recommend one of our larger rooms if you decide to visit us again.

Once again I apologise for any disappointment experienced and do hope that we may have the opportunity of demonstrating our usual high levels of service on a future visit.

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel was actually much better than I had imagined from previous stays. The check was a really good experience and they were very friendly. I got an upgrade which was nice.

The room was OK, not very big but clean and well appointed

I had access to the Executive Lounge on the 5th floor. The lounge was quite good and had a good selection of food and drinks. There were the usual freeloaders who stayed until the free drinks finished and then disappeared.

The food in the bar was OK. We had a curry and it was average

Next morning the breakfast in the lounge was pretty good actually and the staff were good too

Same problems with all Hiltons it seems though when we tried to get a taxi. They just dont appear

I would definitely stay again and hope for a similar experience

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear John

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to see that you had an enjoyable visit and we were able to offer a complimentary upgrade.

Apologies for the delay with the taxi - we usually don't experience problems with taxis, however demand at times can result in a slight delay - I will share your comments with our Concierge Manager - please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Ross Mounsey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,301 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!