“Good staff Hotel Tired” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Good staff Hotel Tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

There was a major exhibition on so the hotel was full especially with flights cancelled. The bar and restaurants were packed but service by staff was attentive and fast. The hotel rooms are in urgent need of re-furbishment. Mine had no air con not that it was needed and a single bed I thought they had gone our with the Ark!

Room Tip: Pay extra to get an upgraded room if they exist
1 Thank 657maestro
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Woka13

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your visit to the hotel.

I was pleased to see that you found our team here friendly and helpful - we always endeavour to deliver the highest possible levels of service.

I can advise that our single rooms are due for refurbishment in February and would apologise for any disappointment with regards to air conditioning. This issue will of course be addressed during the refurbishment of these rooms.

We hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Metrapole before departing on our ski holiday, we mustered as a small group of six! bar was nice but menu had no gluten free options so we headed out for a meal! We had a nice room which was by the lifts which was great for us to access with ski's etc but we later found out it was nit such a bonus.
There was a conference for City Electrical Factors and a Wedding taking place whilst we visited, we were unable to sleep due to noise of people screaming exiting the lift and finding their way back to their rooms. The lift itself was noisy and quite frankly it was similar to trying to sleep in a high st! very noisy.

I spent the night bleary eyed and when we went downstairs at 6 am there were a group of men in a drunken state shouting and swearing loudly still at the bar!

Room Tip: Take ear plugs
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Thunderblob

Thank you for your comments in relation to your visit to the hotel.

Whilst I was pleased to see that you were happy with your room, I am sorry that you were disturbed by inconsiderate guests returning to their rooms during the night.

I can advise that you can request a room away from the lifts in future, if you wish to avoid ther possibility of being disturbed.

I do hope we see you again soon.

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel last weekend and had a relaxing time. The rooms are clean and the breakfast was very good (although it was a bit on the cool side). We didnt enjoy our evening meal because it was self service and again on the cool side. The drinks are pricey but the atmosphere in the bar area is very relaxing. The staff are very friendly and helpful

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hazel R
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Hazel

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to the hotel. It is always pleasing to see that our guests have had a relaxing stay.

I was sorry to see that you found the food had not kept warm during buffet service - this is not usually an issue and I will of course pass on your comments to our Food & Beverage Manager.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Good hotel, 4 star corporate, been many times before but for those considering functions and events I simply cannot rate the food more highly. An event catering for 200 had 3 main meals over 2 days and they were superlative. For mass catering it was imaginative, beautifully presented and sensationally delicious.

In the foyer you'll be ripped off for coffee but for the all else; rooms quiet and warm, pool clean, staffing excellent but the food made this last event.

Recommended.

1 Thank HappyHayling
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Happy Hayling

thank you so much for such a great review.

I am of course delighted that you were impressed with the catering you received whilst at your conference. Your comments will of course be shared with our Executive Chef and his team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

N. Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have spent several hundred nights in this hotel during the past 2 years - I had reason to spend a single night recently, and I must admit, in the right room this is the best value best quality hotel in the West Midlands.
Without exception the staff are so charming and professional, and the breakfast is superb!
Highly recommend Hilton and HHonors.

1 Thank Beckinhill
Dear Beckinhill

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

It is always pleasing to receive such positive remarks regarding the levels of service provicfed by our team here. - thank you again.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed here for a recent work conference and although some of the room reviews on here were unfavourable I still had high hopes purely because of the Hilton reputation. First off, the hotel is literally in the middle of nowhere so don't expect to be able to pop out for a stroll around Birmingham or anything. The car park is huge and although some of the spaces were a bit tight I found it easy enough to find a space. It cost me £8 for 24 hours which I thought was very reasonable compared to other hotel car parks I've used in the past.
On entering the hotel I was greeted with a large open plan lobby/reception/lounge bar which was spacious, clean and beautifully decorated. On checking in I didn't have to queue and the service was slick - great considering there were around 100 of us (albeit not arriving at exactly the same time!). I was given a key card for room 205 in Block B of the hotel which was quite a walk from reception. I passed lots of nice public areas on the way to my room and the lift and corridors were well kept so I was expecting my room to be of the same high standard. How wrong I was. The room was small (which wasn't really an issue) with a single bed (again not a massive problem) but the decor, fittings and furnishings were appalling for a Hilton. The sockets on the walls were all wonky, the wallpaper was marked with bits ripped off in places, the lampshade on the lamp of the desk had clearly taken a battering at some point and was dented in various places. The TV was working but the remote sensor had been smashed. The alarm clock looked like something from the early 90's and don't even get me started on the bathroom. Mouldy tiles, a shower head that produces a fine mist and would be completely useless for washing hair of any length, a big black hair attached to the lid of the toilet seat and the most hideous big brown contraption attached to the wall masquerading as an 80's - possibly 70's style hairdryer. Was I really staying in the Hilton? Although I didnt order any room service, I checked out the prices - £14 for a sandwich? No thanks! I was under the impression that wifi was free - not so and I wasn't going to even enquire as to how much this would set me back so I did without. An evening meal had been arranged by my employer wich was served in one of the conference rooms - again all nicely decorated. The food itself was mediocre in flavour but presented beautifully and the service from the waiting staff was actually very good and should be highly praised. The bar area was also quite nice though the prices were off the scale - £4.40 for a pint of lager and nearly £10 for a glass of wine. Finally, although I didn't use the pool or spa - both looked really nice though be warned that if using the pool/jacuzzi, you will be surrounded by glass windows looking into a lobby area where conference attendees stand around drinking refreshments and eating lunch whilst gawping at you - be warned!
Overall this is a lovely hotel if you intend to spend most of your visit in public areas - badly let down by the bedrooms (and believe me, it wasn't just me who had a below standard room). The only reason I have given this hotel a 3 marking is because of the public areas otherwise I'd have given a 2. Thankfully I did not have to foot the bill for my stay and I would certainly not part with my own cash to stay here in future.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Pluto175

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with regard to your room, and acknowledge our single rooms are in need of updating. I am pleased to advise however, that we commence refurbishment of these rooms in mid-February .

I was pleased that you had found the remainder of your visit to be an enjoyable experience.

We hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have attended several New Year celebrations at the Metropole and generally speaking our group has always received excellent value for money from a well staged event. However, it's quite apparent that the product has been on the wane for the last couple of years and this year, poor communication from the hotel has added to our view that we probably need to look elsewhere for our celebration next year.

There are many positives to report from the £145 per head package - the Executive rooms are perfectly adequate, modern and comfortable; the meal is excellent considering it's a mass catering event; the entertainment in the form of a band was OK but not as good as previous years; the buffet breakfast is top of the range and generally speaking the service is pretty good considering the number of guests at the hotel. Our niggles are more to do with the cutbacks compared with previous years - no complimentary champagne in the Executive lounge (a major attraction previously) and no alcoholic drinks allowed there until after 6.00 pm (previously available in the afternoon); no pre-dinner champagne reception (although half a glass per person was served at midnight); no bacon rolls after midnight - again a nice touch enjoyed by all in years gone by.

Our main communication gripe centres, amongst other things, on the fact that we received no formal confirmation having paid in full in advance and the programme for the evening referred to reception drinks (which were formerly included) rather than a "cash bar".

I daresay that the cutbacks are a reflection of the harsh economic times but what used to be such a special (even spectacular) celebration has now become "just average" in our view hence the need to seek pastures new. Shame.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Andy

I was sorry to see that you felt that the New Year's Eve Ball did not represent good value for money. In contrast, we have received many positive comments in relation to the event and the exceptional value it gave.

I regret any confusion that may have arisen regarding your confirmation details and your comments have indeed been shared with the team here. The confirmation did outline what was included in the package and again would apologise for any misunderstanding.

I do hope you reconsidere returning for the event this year.

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#20 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,228 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!