“The Hilton Birmingham”

Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Milton Keynes
“The Hilton Birmingham”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed at several hotels in Birmingham now and just would like to say that out of them all the Hilton was by far the best. The service is excellent as is the food even at the bar. Rooms are very clean and comfortable and nothing seems to be to much bother. The cleaning operative went out of her way to get my wife a dressing gown and slippers which made her stay special. My son enjoyed the pool and the staff there were very friendly. Definately a place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor are ideal if you go for executive access.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Clive

thank you for taking the time to post your review, following your recent visit to the hotel.

We always endeavour to go that extra mile to make our guests feel welcome and I am very pleased that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed here the night before taking an early flight. My room was cramped and uncomfortable. At 5am it was impossible to get even a cup of coffee never mind breakfast, and to make matters worse there was a wedding party still raging - lots of very drunk people lurching about all over the place. Several guests I spoke to had been unable to sleep because of the noise - although I was fortunate in that respect.
The parking side of things was fine - but otherwise it was an expensive and dismal experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for providing your feedback following your visit.

I was very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your experience at the hotel.

Although breakfast service is not available until 6.30 am our Lounge Bar does operate on a 24 hour basis and food and drink are always available.

I do regret that you suffered disturbance due to noise from a wedding party and would advise that our Security team would always intervene is problems are reported regarding noise etc.

I do hope that we may welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here from Oct 6 - 10th. My office had block booked a number of executive rooms and I was not allowed to check in before 3pm. When they gave me my room, I was booked into 'B' block, given a single room that was extremely tired and the bathroom was very small. As I was on the top floor, I felt confident of a good night sleep, how wrong was I. A party downstairs kept me awake till 2.30am I called to reception and was told I could not be moved. The following day, my office called and then they would move me. I then had to queue at reception for ages and discussed with a receptionist who could find no record of the instruction to move me. Finally I was given 1053, a nice room, but next to the elevator shaft !!! Really great when the parties finished and they all used the lifts to go to their rooms!

So, needless to say I needed a drink. Costa coffee in reception is £4.70 for a medium cappuccino !! A pint of beer is £4.70 dinner in the carvery is £27.00 per head. If a waiter comes anywhere near you a service charge appears..... I don't mind paying a bit more, if I get value for money. I feel as though I've been mugged !!!

If you are looking for a stay near to the exhibition halls, I would suggest you negotiate a good room rate and ensure you stay in 'A' wing and avoid 'B' Block. Either walk or get a taxi to another place to eat and get yourselves a bottle in your room... You have been warned.....

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AndyP1968
Dear Andy

Thank you for posting your comments.

I am sorry that yuo were kept awake by noise from a party during your stay and it is unfortuante that we were unable to offer a room move on your first night due to high occupancy levels .

With regards to prices, I can advise that we regularly monitor prices to ensure we remain competitive with other 4 star establishments throughout the country.

We hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Was dreading staying again after my last experience (rated awful). At check in I was told I was allocated a single room in the old part of the hotel. Well there was NO WAY I was staying in one of those dirty run down rooms again, so asked to pay for an upgrade. I was told under no circumstances was I allowed to as I was with an exhibition and that was the standard of room that had been paid for. There was also no other rooms available as they were full to capacity. I am sorry but that is not good enough so I asked for the manager. The assistant went off and came back and I was then told that I could upgrade - so for £20 I got upgraded to a nice new double room. I would advise bein persistent with the staff as there seems to be some weird rule about giving the crap rooms to exhibition workers etc. It was the best £"0 I have spent in a long time as I got a decent nights sleep in a clean pleasant room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the section they have done up eg don't book a twin or single.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Poopypoo
Filey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was so glad I decided to book for an overnight stay at the Hilton Metropole. As we arrived at the NEC and called for the minibus, the good experience began. The receptionist on the phone was cheery, polite and helpful and we didn't need to wait long. The check in was quick, easy and very pleasant, and we were extremely happy with the room. My daughter had never stayed in a Hilton before and was blown away :o)

We discovered that a battery was missing from the TV remote and after a phone call, a maintenance man came to the room about ten minutes later and fixed it. We ordered room service from an extremely helpful lady and when the food arrived (in the time she'd specified it would) it was plentiful, delicious and great value for money, as was breakfast the following morning.

We had such a great time, we plan to make this an annual mother/daughter event, and naturally we'll be staying at the Hilton Metropole! Your staff and facilities are a credit to the chain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Yvette

Thank you very much for your great review.

I am thrilled that you and your daughter had such a pleasant stay with us and we naturally look forward to welcoming you both back again next year, if not before.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed here for work a number of times over the last 9 years. It is this hotel that makes me now check my bed sheets are clean as soon as I check in at any hotel, and check the window/door locks work. The rooms have been refurbished in recent years and offer a standard Hilton contemporary feel but the bathrooms in some places need serious tlc in grouting etc.
I have been previously upgraded to an executive room and a suite on more than one occasion due to my allocated room having dirty sheets, broken bathroom door handles and a large window/patio style door that could not be secured. The executive rooms were lovely and well worth the extra cost. The suite was massive with a living and dining room, patio, guest bathroom, separate bedroom with sofa, dressing area and massive bathroom. However it really was quite tired looking and I would not have been happy with the standard at the cost of the suite.
This is a very busy conference hotel situated within walking distance of the nec. This means if you are unfortunate enough to be staying when a large event is on you can expect loud door slamming, music drifting up from the event spaces if you are in rooms above, massive queues at the bar and long waits for room service. I was looking forward to their dinner buffet in the boulevard restaurant this time, but due to a large function it was closed and millers bar was the next option. The food really is very good in all the eateries. The buffet gives excellent choice and good quality. Millers provides slightly larger than neauveaux cuisine high quality food, not cheap!
The breakfast buffet has all tastes covered and is one of the best hotel breakfasts I have experienced.
The hotel has a swimming pool and well appointed gym. Very large car park, but when big events are on it can fill up.
The best asset really is some (not all) of their staff. Noticeably the front desk yolanta who really is excellent at her job, always a warm genuine smile and only too happy to help.
All in all, this hotel serves its purpose as a conference venue, overnight stay for nec event or airport trip.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Haviatrix
Dear Haviatrix

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

It is always a pleasure to welcome back regular guests and I am pleased to see that you always enjoy your dining experiences here, especioally the Hilton breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here briefly over night as an alternative to taking a 6.30 am flight for morning appointments within a radius of Birmingham - an inspired choice as things transpired!

At €99 B&B, this enabled me to prep for work the evening I arrived, have chicken wings for supper in the busy bar, get to bed early with a good book, take a swim at 6.30 am, quick soak in the hot tub, enjoy the mammoth breakfast buffet, shower, shave and dress at my leisure before hoping on the airport shuttle that whisks you to BHX International train station which connects to the airport via monorail in 2 mins. I arrived at my first meeting 56 miles away in Cheltenham fully refreshed at 9.30am.

In addition my room had a tiny little ledge/balcony perfectly designed for smokers.

Breakfast was extremely busy from 6.30 am but the admiral staff replenished everything promptly. No shortage of anything and a vast multitude of choice!

Note - WIFI is extortionate so I used my own mobile modem and the shuttle does not normally run at 8am or 8.30 or at 5pm or 5.30 due to corporate commitments. I lucked out and caught the shuttle on a quiet moment and the driver dropped me over alone in about under ten mins at 7.50am.

On arrival at the airport, take the monorail to the train station, take the 2 nd elevator down and when you exit wait at the 2nd white bus shelter. I don't think it's signposted and maybe call the hotel prior to arrival which is what I did.

Also - there was no plug in the tub as mentioned by a previous reviewer. Sad to see such a simple problem unresolved but these trivial details pale into insignificance compared with the overwhelming advantages and value the Hilton Metropole provides!

I will definitely stay here again at these rates and may use it as a base for longer UK business trips given the hotel's superb transport connections. It's one of those rare business hotels that my wife might actually enjoy if she is free to accompany me!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#22 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,266 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!