“Junior Suite- Executive Lounge”

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #73 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Once inside we were greeted with a nice clean and spacious reception. It was quiet, staff were polite and attentive. We had a Junior suite, which looked exactly like the hotel pictures. It was very clean and spacious. Two (very picky) negative points: very hard bed and two lamps didn't work. The Executive Lounge is worth it's weight in gold, the staff greet you like old friends, the alcohol is readily available from 6-8.30pm. Everything is replenished quickly. The sandwiches/canapés are good for freebies. I would recommend getting there early at evening as it got very busy quickly. Location is superb for NEC and LG arena. We ordered room service, which arrived hot, quickly and was very tasty. 12.95 for a curry( plus £4 tray charge) I think is around par for the course. Overall a delightful stay which we will repeat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Emma

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on this website, following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted that you had auch a great stay at the hotel and that you had been made to feel welcome in our Executive Lounge, which is a favourite for many of our guests.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,595)

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for the NEC and were deeply disappointed with the room we were given. The twin beds were on wheels and kept moving, it was cold, very tired old room and the TV was very dated! Expensive wi fi which was a disaster.. Staff were very friendly and promised us that at our next visit there would be refurbished room, with free wifi. I have booked to agin, not out of choice but because the Crown Plaza was full. The room booked specified "refurbished" and hotel advertises it has wifi in rooms. I hope they have kept their promise, will know in a couple of days.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Dear Abi

Thank you for providing your feedback in relation to your recent visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your room decor. I was surprised to read your comments regarding the TV, as all of our TV's have been recently replaced.

I do hope that you enjoy your forthcoming stay with us.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was shocked by the condition of this property and the published rates (you can get a room there cheaper if you ask). There are two sections of the Hotel and it is a large convention hotel immediately adjacent to the NEC (National Exposition Center) and a short walk from the airport. I stayed in the newer section the first week where one of the elevators went out every day (I got stuck in one that wouldn't go anywhere twice and finally got the door open) the A/C in the room didn't work, and the toilets were difficult to flush. I called maintenance for the A/C and the very nice gentlemen said "they don't work very well here, but we usually don't need them, that is the best I can do". My room was an oven. The second week, I stayed in the older section where my first room had a bad phone line, the second room had damaged lamp shades that looked like trash, and the carpeting in the hallway had duct tape on it. I've stayed in Motel 6's in the US that were in better shape. The hotel was packed both weeks while I was there, so revenue should be enough for repairs. And watch out for the 10% service charge they add to every restaurant bill. It's for "tips" for the rest of the hotel staff. You can asked for it to be removed and they will. BTW, I left a comment card after the first week asking the manager to respond and he didn't. I don't post negative reviews unless I give a property a chance to address the deficiencies first.
On the good side, breakfast and the pool/spa were nice. The workout room was small but well equipped.

Room Tip: Ask for the new section and a lower rate.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mountainedge

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting your comments on this website following your recent visit to the hotel.

I regret that you had experienced certain maintenance issues during your stay with us. Our Maintenance team will always endeavour to rectify any reported problems as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I am surprised that you have not received a response to your comment card and can advise that this will no doubt be on its way to you shortly.

I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed your time in our LivingWell Leisure Club.

I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

On arrival we were seen quickly but as they were so busy room not available at 14.30 so at least we were given access to the Exec Lounge. Great afternoon tea managed to get to room around 4pm. welcome gift as not able to upgrade - fairly standard here not to be upgraded - I suggest you book an Exec Room if you want guaranteed upgrade - least if you make use of the drinks and canapés and the free breakfast you may find it worth the extra.

leisure club and pool fine though watch out for the wet floors they're really slippy.

Dinner in the second restaurant service charge - watch out ! Don't forget in UK if it's not up to it don't pay - we didn't. Breakfast was hot and staff attentive - as always the ladie host was most welcoming and is a real asset to the hotel having been before she always asks after the gods and was really interested in what they were up to on the two free access computers in the lounge

Room Tip: Try for a fifth floor room close to the pool as closer to the Exec Lounge. Ensure they don't put...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedbacki.

I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed the benefits of our Executive Lounge, which is very popular with many of our guests. Complimentary upgrades will always be offered to our Hilton Honors members if availability permits and i regre that on your visit we were unable to do so.

Also very pleased that you had a great time in the leisure club.

We hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Director of Operatiions

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here the night before and the night after our holiday as the parking package was a good deal (included the night before) so we booked the night after. The first night was ideal, a comfortable room, we visited the leusure facilities which were good and as the Hotel had a Sci-Fi convention on we were kept amused in the bar! The Hotel restaurant was excellent and it would be fair to say that we left for our holiday on a high!

However this was all to change! On our return we were given the dirtiest room I have ever been given, there was mould above vents, mould in the bathroom, cigarette buts in window sills, dirty marks on walls, bedsheets which didnt fit, dirty bed linen and unsafe electrical fittings - I have to confess that it was 2 in the morning and as we collapsed on the bed to sleep we did not complain until the next morning at checkout.

I then complained to Hilton customer services whom passed the matter to the Hotel, which was met by a generic response from the General Managers PA claiming apologising and claiming that the Housekeeper had been spoken to - no mention of compensation for which (over the entire stay) I had spent the region of £800 I again complained to Hilton Customer services whom eventually gave me a voucher for a one night stay (after a further 4 emails were exchanged) The lack of customer care was shocking, I have attached some of the images I sent to the Hilton whom did not seem to find them at all shocking.

Having stayed at Hiltons through the UK and across Europe and Asia - this is the only Hotel I have been so disgusted with, yet their lack of customer service and that of Hilton Inc has resulted in my throwing away of my Hilton rewards card - I'll stay at the Marriott in future!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here before flying out for our honeymoon early the following morning. Price was fantastic.

We were originally given a smoking room but they moved us instantly at our request with no fuss.

Good concierge / airport shuttle service.

Didn't spend long in the hotel but what we saw was very good.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify a non-smoking room on booking / check-in if you want one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel previously in 2011 and found it ok for an overnight stay. However on this occassion, no, no no. This is my 5th stay in Hilton in the last 7 weeks but fewer than my husbands 26 stays since January, so I am more familar than I would like to be about the brand and this hotel is ranked towards the bottom of my recent stays.

I think that some hotels believe that if a booking includes a child that they can palm you off with any old rubbish and we were put in an old pre-refubished room as a result. However note to Hilton, I do know that my husband was so disgusted he is now re-thinking his use of Hiltons for himself and his team of 10 after this particular experience. Hello Marriotts. All I can say is that if this is how you treat Hilton Honors members, heaven help everyone else.

Booked a Queen Executive room but was "upgraded" to a junior suite but this room (4216) was nothing like the pictures they show on their website or the room we had stayed in previously. This room may have been ok 30 years ago and even then along the lines of a nasty cruise liner, lots of brass, pine headboard and a shower cubicle that had more black mould than white grout at the point where the tile meets the shower tray. The bed was so hard we could not sleep. The sofa bed for our son, that mattress had seen better days 10 years ago.

We arrived very late in the evening after attending a family funeral and this was half way for our return home, so we were tired and wanted to sleep. The room was musty, the air conditioning unit pumped out the smell of marijuana (I kid you not and no I don't, but I know that smell). It was just awful.

The only plus points are the staff. Housekeeping provided us with extra pillows and towels despite the late hour. Thank you so much. The nice young man from maintenance came and fixed the TV which was not working and was very cheerful. The Executive Lounge at breakfast, lovely welcoming. Our son enjoyed the smoked salmon but says that some bagels would have been nice.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a modern room and if they offer you an upgrade to a junior suite, don't ta...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Genting Hotel
Genting Hotel
#6 of 118 in Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!