“A bit of a let down”

Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
cork
“A bit of a let down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I really expected more from what is supposed to be a top hotel. The service is very average . It is also expensive . Solo travellers are not well catered for. The single rooms are small and dated . The televisions in these rooms are archaic. Its was a long walk from reception to the room only to find my keycard was faulty and I had to lug my bags back to reception to have it changed. An apology for the inconvienence would have been nice.. Not recommended !!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank ritacork
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear Rita

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit.

I was sorry to read you felt solo travellers were not well catered for. We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service to all of our guests and reret you were disappointed on this occasion.

Whilst our single rooms are indeed smaller than our average rooms, we are constantly updating the hotel and can advise that the next phase of our refurbishment will be our single rooms.

I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we may welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and would perhaps suggest you may find one of our double rooms more suitable to your requirements.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (955)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

For £45 with an extra £10 for breakfast it is hard to find fault. Room was small but adequate for what I needed. Yes TV is very old fashioned but the room I was in had nice touches like decent lighting and was clean and the decor was good. Well done on the lighting, often hotels seem to think this isn't important!
I have two bug-bears with this chain. Firstly no shower cap provided with the basic toiletries and secondly the extortionate internet charges. Why in this day and age do some hotels still charge the earth for something so freely available nearly everywhere?
That aside, my stay was pleasnat enough. The hotel would have gotten a 4 rating from me but because I feel let doen on the things I consider basics above I've dropped it down to three.
Come on HM chain - figure out a way to go that extra mile for your customers:)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Baxterdog8
Dear Baxterdog8

Many thanks for your review.

I'm delighted that you found your stay with us to be exceptional value for money and that you were pleased with the overall ambience of the hotel.

I would comment that shower caps although not provided with basic toiletries are indeed available on request.

With regards to internet charges, I would point out that our charges are comparable to other 4 star establishments and that the hotel does offer complimentary internet access in our Executive Lounge.

I do hope that we may welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Beautifully clean hotel with excellent, attentive staff. Food was delicious, but disappointed after we upgraded to an executive suite to fashoined tnd an old tv, no mini bar and wireless internet was an extra £15 per night! Beds were not very comfortable and caused difficulty to sleep.

Very convenient to visit Drayton Manor and the Bullring.

Room Tip: Clean and well looked after.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Beth1500
Dear Beth 1500

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your visit.

I am very pleased that you were overall impressed with yur stay and found our staff to be attentive.

With regards to your comments about the TV’s in our guest rooms, I would advise that we are currently in the process of upgrading our infrastructure and part of this will be replacement of the CRT units to that of LCD units.

Our internet charges are comparable to other 4 star establishments and that the hotel does offer complimentary internet access in our Executive Lounge.

I am sorry that you found the bed in room not to your liking but do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Bensheim, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Positive: wonderful and state-of-the-art swimming pool and wellness area, spacious lobby, Hilton standard breakfast. Not so nice: Nobody to give a hand with the luggage, icy reception, small room, small bed, small bathroom, very old tv set, no body lotion. To sum it up: average and not what you expect from a Hilton.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank henselm
Dear Henshelm

Thank you for posting your review on this website.

I am pleased that you had enjoyed our Leisure Club facilities which prove very popular with our guests.

I do regret that there was no luggage assistance available at the time of your arrival. Our Porters if not at our Concierge Desk would have been assisting other guests at this time.

Whilst our single rooms are popular with travellers, we do appreciate that some guests prefer larger accommodation. The hotel does have a variety of sizes and types of room and would perhaps suggest you may find one of our other room types more suitable to your requirements.

We do hope you will try us again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed for Friday and Saturday night in two exec rooms. We thought the rooms were nice, the breakfast great and the swimming pool the best in a uk Hilton that we have stayed at!
We did encounter some problems with check in trying to over charge us, one of the rooms being dirty on arrival and problems with being made to feel uncomfortable in the exec lounge. Initially I did say that we would never come back because of these but I did complain to a member of the management team (hanah wolinska) and I have to say I was very impressed. She listened carefully to me and took the time to write us a personal letter to apologise ( plus some lovely cakes and wine - but really the letter was the most valuable to us!) In all hotels there are issues but the difference in quality of hotels, in my opinion, is the way they are rectified. This hotel is a great hotel for that reason and we would stay again!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Jillspar
Dear Jillspar

Thank you for such a great review.

I was delighted to read that you were impressed with the way your issues were handled by Hanna, our Guest Relations Manager.

I was glad that you found our Leisure Club facilities first class - we do have one of the largest hotel pools in the UK.

I'm glad that you will be re-visiting us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

Was very pleased with my stay at this hotel.

I arrived a good few hours before the normal check in time and the receptionist who greeted me was able to find me a room (very helpful as following a long drive I wanted to freshen up before attending a nearby function.)

The room was modern with a comfortable bed, a nice view (considering the hotels location) and was very clean.

I used the hotels free shuttle bus to the train station, they run every half hour, buts its worth booking yourself on to get a seat (admittedly when I took it I was the only one on, but at peak times I guess it would be busy!)

I ordered breakfast from room service and it was delivered with a smile. The food was warm and fresh and the coffee and orange juice was just what the doctor ordered for my (slight) hangover! The only thing missing from the room was a mini bar, a cold diet coke would have been great when I got in!

I parked in the hotels vast car park, it felt very safe and only cost £7 for the night.

The staff are a credit to the hotel, from housekeepers, to the reception staff, to the room service waiters to the bus drivers, they were all so friendly, nothing seemed too much trouble and it really was service with a smile.

Its stays like this that make me so loyal to the Hilton brand.... friendly staff, good, clean reliable rooms and employees who make the customer feel valued....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul L
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear Paul 25

Many thanks for such a great review.

We always endeavour to deliver the highest standards of service with a smile and I am delighted that our team members' efrorts have been appreciated.

Your continued loyalty is of course appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Birmingham Metropole in the very near future.

Kind regards
aberdeenshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed here for the British Showjumping Open at the NEC 2010......and really could not fault it. The back door short cut to the NEC was great!
We upgraded to an executive room...which gave us access to the executive lounge which provided up market snacks and drinks free of charge. Well worth the extra money!
We had dinner in the Boulevard restaurant with friends who were staying elsewhere. Lovely surroundings and fabulous food, highly recommended. We didn't have time to use the pool or any of the other liesure facilities but they looked very nice and not too busy when we were there.
The hotel is large and busy, and its proximity to the NEC is an advantage for anyone attending a show, but I don't think I would recommend a stay here for a romantic weekend away.

Room Tip: Upgrade!....it may work out better value for money.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sidesaddlefan
Dear Sidesaddlefan

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

I was pleased to learn that you found our Executive rooms excellent value for money. Our Executive Lounge is very popular with guests, as is our leisure club - perhaps when you next visit you will have the opportunity to take advantage of our pool, gym and sauna facilities.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,270 reviews

Been to Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!