“A really special place”
Review of Annexe - CLOSED

Annexe
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Oozing laidback bohemian charm, Annexe Restaurant crafts refined continental cuisine. An exciting, innovative new Mediterranean menu from a chef of Michelin pedigree brings flavours from around Europe - predominantly France, Italy and Spain. All this in a vintage atmosphere full of family style warmth and soul.
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We came to this restaurant on the recommendation of a friend and instantly loved the atmosphere, the staff and above all the food. It was a busy Saturday night and we did not feel neglected (our oil wick lamp went out several times mostly due to my rather over expressive hand gestures, and each time a member of staff appeared to do the necessary).
The menu, covered a wide range of tastes and we both found something to suit readily.
When the food arrived it was perfectly cooked with ideal portion size. Seasoning was spot on and the fish as fresh as can be.
Also deserving of special praise was the Artisan cheese board and in particular the blue from central France.
All in all a great meal which to me represented excellent value for money.
Thank you for a lovely evening!!

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner ate at Annexe on Friday night, and the whole experience was incredible.

The waiting staff were attentive and informative and we both chose food recommended by our waiter. He was spot on and the scallops were fabulous. Our other dishes - crab soufflé and lamb were also delicious. Unlike other reviewers, we were full after our starters and mains, but the desserts looked so nice that we opted to have one. The chocolate indulgence was exactly as it suggests and I'd definitely recommend it.

The bill came to just under £110 for starters, mains, desserts and two bottles of wine, which we thought was reasonable considering the quality of the food and service.

I can see why this restaurant is near the top of the Trip Adviser list and we'll definitely be going back the next time we visit Birmingham.

Also, I was pleased to see that all the staff we spoke to seemed genuinely proud of the restaurant and the food and it made for a lovely dining experience.

1  Thank Nanette72
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The food and service is far overpriced for the quality you get.

Food only reasonably tasty. Potatoes in scallop main course were totally unseasoned and did not have any taste. The presentation was simple and not inspiring.

Service was only at the border of acceptable. The waitress comes immediately as you sit down and fast pours on you the details of specials which is difficult to comprehend. Food came in good time. But very long waiting for desert menu and this continued with another long wait for the desert and for the bill and the change - this was totally unacceptable. No greeting from the waitress who served us as we were leaving.

Summary: Paying over £50 for 2 main courses and 1 desert, one would expect the food and service of a much higher quality. Unfortunately, we will not be returning here.

2  Thank P K
Annexe_Restaurant, Manager at Annexe, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Sir,
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your visit here. We pride ourselves on our service and so I am disappointed that you did not appreciate it. We like to tell people the specials relatively soon after being seated so that they can consider them amongst the other menu items - it is certainly not supposed to be "fast pour[ing]".
I am sorry you found the scallops not sufficiently tasty. The scallops are an extremely popular dish and we have not before received a criticism about the seasoning or presentation, however we are looking into it to ensure that the dish is always being served as it should be with well-cooked and presented, tasty, juicy scallops.
Our service is very friendly and any waiting staff present should have said hello and goodbye - I am unable to look into it properly because the detail you provide here does not explain when you came or what you had (other than scallops) so I can't identify your case. If you can provide some more details by email I will look into the service you received and why you waited so long for the dessert menu and bill.
I hope you might visit us again so we can show you what the Annexe experience is all about!
Yours,
Damien

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I would have loved to award this restaurant five stars, but just one thing is stopping me!

On the hottest day of the year, the temperature in the restaurant was uncomfortably hot. It felt as if the heating was on. The ceiling fans were ornate but inadequate.

However, please don't let this put you off! Perhaps visit on a chilly night though. Indeed, the interior of this restaurant is best described as cosy and romantic - not a summer hot spot.

The food here is fantastic! We went for the seafood sharing board which was delicious, and without a doubt all five of us agreed that the prawns were the best we have ever had.

The lamb main course was exquisite; it fell apart in my mouth.

If you read my first review, you will see that I was blown away with the service. I am happy to report that this is still very much the case! Damien is as charming as ever, and after a friendly chat he bought us over a complimentary drink and sample of fudge to help us celebrate our graduation!

Will I return? Absolutely! I am reserving this place as my number one choice for special occasions and fine dining.

1  Thank LuLu_135
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is the sort of place for a special night out. The menu was not extensive but the quality of the food could not be faulted - and they were happy to adapt one of the dishes to suit my dietary needs as everything is freshly cooked. The seafood sharing platter starter was lovely and generous portions, however some of the other starters our party chose seemed quite small given the price tag - although they were reported to be delicious! Be prepared to go for all three courses for your average hungry man.
It was a bit pricy but the quality of the food, attentive service and ambience justified the cost. Will definitely be going again. Don't be put off by the location or the view from outside, as you walk through the bistro/bar area at the front it opens out into something quite impressive.