“Tasty if a tad Expensive”
Review of The Drop Forge - CLOSED

The Drop Forge
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: See info on website. Let me know when it's listed as would love to be the first to write a review. Very impressed lovely converted industrial builidng in Birminghams jewellery quarter.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I popped in with a group of friends during the last Saturday in January. Service was great, and the beer, Malvern Hills Black Pear, was one of my favourites served in good condition. Two of us had some tapas to share. These included: calamari (the batter was too thick); a chicken and chorizo skewer (excellent and tasty); pitta and hummus (not enough pitta) and crispy pork (excellent). We also had a few chips. These were a decent set of snacks, but they weren't perfect, and the portions were a bit small for the price. One of my friends had a beef sandwich, which he enjoyed, but the bread was very thin and disintegrated. He thought that his sandwich cost easily £1 more than it should have done. If the food was cheaper, it would merit four stars. I would also have awarded 4 stars had the calamari been in tempura batter, and had I not run out of pitta, which is too cheap to scrimp on.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Website actually says open from 11am everyday. The Drop is my local and I eat and drink there all the time with friends. The staff are always friendly and well informed and the food is superb!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Went last Sunday just before 7, greeted (if that's the right word) with 'We close at 7 pm'. Website says open every day till 11 (and still says that). Completely unapologetic about this and even though there were still several people there, no offer to at least let me wait inside for my companion to join me, on a chilly winter's night. Obviously no comment on the food but zero for communication, customer care, service ethos or welcome. One given for the interior which looks good.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I drove past this place and decided it looked pretty cool so decided to give it a try. We were greeted by a very friendly waitress who found us a table straight away.

The menu was great although we only opted for the sandwiches and open sandwiches. We were quite surprised by what came out as it looked and tasted fantastic!

A really good choice, we shall definitely be visiting again. Pretty reasonable prices too!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Drop Forge is a great bar. It is in the Jewellery Quarter in a road opposite the Jewellery Quarter rail station. The bar is called the Drop Forge as the building it inhabits used to be a forgery. It is a good looking bar. It has a decent selection of drinks including a few real ales. They do small boards of food which are really nice small bights and a change from the norm. I have to say that the location of the bar means that on an evening it can be fairly quiet. Once the jewellery trade workers and local office workers have gone home the location means there is no passing trade. But do not let this put you off visit and give it a go. The more people that visit here the better as the place will grow in reputation and will prosper. There are a few bars appearing in the Jewellery Quarter now and it is starting to form the beginnings of an alternate location to the city centre a mile or so up the road. You have the Lord Clifton, The Rose Villa Tavern, The Brown Lion and the Red Lion all easy walking distance from here.