“Great local Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Having regularly visited other Italian restaurants in Birmingham, we decided to give Cucina Rustica a try based on the excellent trip advisor reviews. It was definitely worth the visit and lived up to its reputation. The pleasant decor makes the restaurant inviting although on our visit it was quiet and the atmosphere a bit lacking. It would be good to re-visit on a busier day to see if the ambience is much different on a weekend.

Overall the best part of a trip to Cucina is the delicious food which is reasonably priced. It was difficult to decide what to have as there is so much variety on the menu but my boyfriend opted for the rack of lamb which he allowed me to try and I can confirm it was perfectly cooked and was very tasty. I ordered a starter portion of the gnocchi with a side of rocket salad which again was yummy and not to be faulted. We were so impressed with the mains that we decided to order desserts which were very pleasant although we were unable to finish these as the portions were quite generous.

The only element that let the restaurant down was the service as although the waitress was polite and attentive when topping up our drinks the general service was very slow and the attentiveness stopped as soon as the desserts were served. As a general observation when eating out its often that we have found ourselves waiting to pay and being totally ignored by staff which can be very frustrating especially when there was hardly anybody else in the restaurant. The staff at Cucina should remember that good service should be from start to finish and that includes when payment is being taken.

We will definitely go back to sample more of the mouth watering menu after a great first experience and hope that the service is improved.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Visited this restaurant on a w/e trip to birmingham and checked out trip advisor for where to go . So pleased had to write review Excellent restaurant . Food superb - olives and ciabatta complimentary which is always a nice touch. Starters we had a avocado and prawn/crab terrine - delicious and broccoli and Gorgonzola soup which was delicious too. Plenty to choose from and specials as well. I had fillet with a brandy and peppercorn sauce with potato fondant for mains and my friend rib eye - both cooked to perfection . Staff attentive but not overpowering . Coffee included a nice addition of chocolate fondue with a meranguine biscuit which is just a bit different. Overall the best restaurant I have been to in a long while.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I only use Tripadvisor as a general guide as I so often find the reviews to be unreliable. Our dining experience at ' Cucina Rustica' was exceptionally good. We ate here as we were visiting our daughter at Birmingham uni. Our waiter was attentive, efficient and cheerful. We all opted for the tiger prawn starter cooked in a chilli, garlic and cream sauce - delicious. In my experience it is almost impossible to get good quality, well matured, sustainable beef in restaurants but our Sirloin steaks were perfect, simply griddled which is all they need to be when good.
We didn't order a pudding but we didn't need to as the coffee had a sweet little chocolate mousse on the side with a meringue to finish it off. We will certainly return.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Visited this restaurant after reading great reviews on here. On arrival it was as if the waitress was doing us a big favour and were'nt we lucky to be eating there, despite making an effort to be polite and friendly this truly awful waitress never smiled even once. I've been to hundreds of restaurant's around the globe and never have I met a more frosty waitress. Music was banging out to trendy pub volume and you had to literally shout across the table to communicate. Menu was Pasta starter plus second plate or pasta as a main coarse and I thought this was flexible. The food was excellent and could not be faulted in ANY way, priced fairly. The wine list was also very good with house wine sub twenty through to Crystal at £250. I've no doubt Brum's trendy set swear by the place and fair play to the owner for targeting a thirty/forty something affluent customer but this place is little more than a better food version of ASK. Next time I'd go straight to the significantly cheaper ASK option and get better service which would be truly impossible not to get!!!

1  Thank SalisburySpy
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Not a lot to say other than absolutely fantastic. Had the spicy pasta with garlic bread. Pretty ordinary fare in terms of Italian but the food is outstanding and a massive cut above the rest. With great service and great bars around for afterwards in actress and bishop and Stirlings. Recommend to anyone.