“superb restaurant”
Review of Carters of Moseley

Carters of Moseley
Reserve with OpenTable
Carters of Moseley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 2,220 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Independently owned and managed, Carters of Moseley in Birmingham, is the epitome of a modern British restaurant and a celebration of the amazing produce that’s available from around our country.Our focus is on classic creations with a modern twist. Great Britain offers some of finest ingredients to be found anywhere – from Scottish beef to Cornish fish. We source all our vegetables as locally as possible and our fruit from the counties around us.As soon as you walk through the door and see our wall of fine wines and our kitchen open to view, you will feel the ambiance.We have created visual theatre throughout the restaurant which combined with our modern, British, seasonal and local menus offers something to please even the most jaded of palates.At Carters we’re proud to be British. We’re also passionate about food, and with every service proprietor managed, our aim is to please you – and then welcome you back time and time again.
Birmingham
“superb restaurant”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Excellent food served by friendly and attentative staff. The restaurant was busy serving Sunday lunch and the atmosphere, combined with superb food and a hard working friendly, staff made this visit well worth while. Would definitely recommend this to anyone.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Michael N

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Please bring back evening a la carte”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Is it a coincidence that a few critical reviews have appeared recently since the withdrawal of a la carte. I have visited this restaurant a few times, for evening a la carte, lunch and the amazingly good valued sunday lunch. Always left feeling totally satisfied with the food and the service, which is friendly, efficient and well informed. The ambience of the restaurant is also wonderful. I was, however, very disappointed with the Sunday supper we had recently. The portions are tiny, more suitable for an 8/9 course tasting menu (when you would obviously expect to pay more than £30). Although there were a couple of very good things a lot was really not up to Carters usual standard. I disliked the soup and thought the pudding was very ordinary. I am not a big eater but left feeling a bit peckish. I have not enjoyed writing a negative review of a local restaurant I have previously recommended to many people. I also try to support local business so write this with regret.

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank Lizziearden
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A gem in the heart of Birmingham”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This was about our fifth visit to Carter's and once again they delivered. Sunday lunch is an absolute treat but their fixed evening menus take the whole dining experience to another level!
What we delight in is not having to choose, the experts have done all that for you so each course compliments the next - it's sublime! And ..... it pushes you to try dishes you possibly wouldn't choose for yourself - most of us are guilty of playing safe with our food and I have to confess, when browsing some of the menus, I've not been entirely sure that it's for me but there it is, that's what you're getting, take it or leave it ...... and they've never let us down yet.
The welcome is always warm, service is always faultless but not stuffy and Holly knows her stuff when it comes to wine.
We've yet to try their afternoon tea experience but if their approach to Sunday lunch and evening fine dining is anything to go by, I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl!

• Visited December 2013
Coventry
“Good value on a sunday night, a few issues though”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We visited Carters of Moseley a few weeks ago for the sunday supper menu, we had been to the restaurant before but this is the first time we have visited on a sunday night. I would like to echo some of the points of the previous trip advisor reviewer, although I don't agree with everything this lady had written a lot of the points she has raised struck a chord with me. First off the two women who were front of house were very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable about the food and especially the accompanying wine flight. I believe they have both worked here quite a while as I recognise them from previous visits although those visits were quite a while ago, this shows as they know their jobs well, some restaurants you go to they seem to change the staff every other week. The first course of potato soup was quite horrible, it wasn't as much of a soup than some finely diced potato with a clear consomme poured over it. The potato in it were hard and the soup tasted really strong,overpowering and bitter. It reminded me of when you had a cold as a child and your parents used to put an oxo cube with some salt in a mug as a remedy. After that the second course of fish course was nice but nothing special, the same with the pre-dessert. The best dish of the night was the third course of meat which was pork belly with a nut praline, very tasty. Despite these little flaws I am still giving the night at Carters a four out of five rating just for the simple fact of value for money, which in my opinion is what every review should be based on. There are not many high end restaurants you could go to and get 5 courses for £30 on a night time, and apart from the soup there wasn't anything particularly bad about the night, if I had have gone and paid £45 for the same food I might have given two or three stars instead. I also agree with the menu options, I hate the way that restaurants have started getting rid of the a la carte menu and just putting taster menu's on instead. As well as Carters other restaurants in Birmingham such as Adam's, Purnell's and Turners have all started to go in this direction. What happens if you don't want to sit there for 4 hours hours having a seven or eight course tasting menu? What if you have plans before or after your meal and you just want a quick three course meal? What if you are a fussy eater and there are things on the menu that you don't like? Surely part of the fun of eating in a restaurant is getting the menu and choosing what you want from the list, one day you might fancy fish, another day maybe meat? Sometimes you fancy something different. It's good to push the boat out now and again and have the taster menu but I want that to be my choice, I like to have the option. Basically I think Carters is a nice restaurant but it is a bit like Love's or Edmund's, nice to go there once in a while to mix things up a bit, the food is good but not quite there yet. I have had lots of good/very good food here but I have never had anything outstanding or anything with a real wow factor to it. I wish the restaurant luck but the food at Carters is not on the same level as Adam's, purnell's or my personal favourite restaurant Simpsons in Edgbaston.

• Visited November 2013
birmingham
“Such a shame”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I'm almost loathe to write this review as I so wanted to be full of positivity for Carter's.
Let me start though by saying how lovely the service is, all of the women front of house deserve a huge well done, they are great! What's letting Carters down sadly is the food.

We went for the Sunday supper a couple of weeks ago and came away feeling hugely disappointed. They no longer serve the a la carter menu, only a set menu which means you're in a difficult position if you get there and don't fancy what's on the set menu. The set menu is 4 courses, but they were not far off what you'd find size wise on a tasting menu at say Simpsons.
When we asked why the a la carter is no longer served, we were told it was because regular patrons tend to always pick the same........surely that's their choice?
The baked potato soup to start tasted rather acrid and bitter, not very pleasant. A fish course then followed which whilst fresh didn't leap off the plate or excite any of us.

The pork (I think it was supposed to be the main) was absolutely tiny, one slice of pork and three baby turnips that were so hard they were pinging around our plates.
The pudding was a real let down, buckwheat waffle with fudge sauce and creme fraiche. The creme fraiche was just a blob on the side, in all honesty the pudding felt lazy, poorly thought out and a total afterthought.

I would love to say I'd go back and would be tempted if the a la carter returned and whilst I can't say it was horrible, we all left feeling hugely disappointed. Real shame.

2 Thank shoebirdie