“food just doesn't hit the mark”
Review of Carters of Moseley

Carters of Moseley
Reserve with OpenTable
Carters of Moseley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 2,342 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Independently owned and managed, Carters of Moseley in Birmingham, is the epitome of a modern British restaurant and a celebration of the amazing produce that’s available from around our country.Our focus is on classic creations with a modern twist. Great Britain offers some of finest ingredients to be found anywhere – from Scottish beef to Cornish fish. We source all our vegetables as locally as possible and our fruit from the counties around us.As soon as you walk through the door and see our wall of fine wines and our kitchen open to view, you will feel the ambiance.We have created visual theatre throughout the restaurant which combined with our modern, British, seasonal and local menus offers something to please even the most jaded of palates.At Carters we’re proud to be British. We’re also passionate about food, and with every service proprietor managed, our aim is to please you – and then welcome you back time and time again.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I can see the effort when I've been to Carters (twice now). It looks really nice on the inside, the waiting staff are professional, the experience is all well thought out and acted out well.

BUT the food....The menu sounds interesting and innovative However on delivery, I'm sorry it didn't work for me. It wasn't bad, but the flavours were quite bland. The plate was made to look interesting and attractive but I'd much rather emphasis be placed on the taste. It looks like there's lots of people who are believers in Carters though.

1  Thank trouble_man

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We visited Carters on a Sunday evening, eating off the 5 course set menu for £30 and chose to go for the matching wine flight for £18. Perfect is a difficult word to use but Carters gets very very close. And all the more so considering the price and neighbourhood location. The service is attentive, friendly and knowledgable. Holly (?) the maitre d' recognised us from our first meal back in January which is pretty good going. And the food is sublime, making what could be a standard evening feel exceptional. The sunday set menu hits the balance on the right amount to feel full while still having a nice mix of traditional and challenging parts to the dish (seawater jelly for example). The wines were paired very accurately, with a special mention for the Riesling paired with the Mackerel dish.

I can't recommend this place enough; both times we have left feeling incredibly happy, after eating amazing food that ticks all the boxes on flavour, variety, presentation, value and great service. I find myself thinking about this place more often than not and I recommend you visit too

1  Thank David W
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I went with a group of friends and really enjoyed the atmosphere (better if there is a group of you), friendly, quite informal service and really quite inexpensive drinks for a restaurant producing food of this quality. We all chose different things and of the starters only one was unpleasant and resembled an under-cooked poached egg in the middle of a plate- very strange, I had the pigeon which was delicious. Main course dishes were great all round, I had the venison which melted in the mouth - everybody was happy.

My only gripe and would possibly make me consider going somewhere else next time, is that the portions are ridiculously small. Not necessarily the portion of the meat but why only serve one leaf of kale with the venison? Why not 2-3 and make the meal a little more substantial. We went to a bar afterward and when we all got home and devoured cheese on toast!!

This is a good quality restaurant serving interesting, creative and very tasty food but PLEASE just give us a little more of it.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place came recommended and today was my first visit (and unlikely to be my last!). We went for afternoon tea - what a delight! With so many places jumping on the AT wagon and failing to deliver I wasn’t quite sure what to expect so it was a great pleasure to discover, on arrival, the table set with beautiful china crockery and from then onwards it just got better. Afternoon tea should be an experience and feel like a treat and this did, beautiful open sandwiches, scones and cakes and of course tea. The service was excellent and the place has a wonderful ambience - I’ve had AT at The Hyatt, HdV, Fortnum & Mason as well as some lesser known places - the bigger the group the less likely (for reasons I haven’t been able to fathom) you are to get the “three tier” experience, which I believe is an important part of AT. There were 9 of us and we got the “three tier” experience at Carters - some places don’t bother with it regardless of the size of the group! If you like AT, Carters is a must - you won’t be disappointed. Highly recommended - many thanks Holly & team!

1  Thank Flower606
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a place well worth a visit, we travelled over from Stratford Upon Avon and it did not disappoint. Great food and Great Service and a special mention for Holly who obviously has real talent for front of house.