“Average food”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Average food”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Cafe rouge seems consistent to me. Its pretty much the same where ever you go. The food has seen better days considering the price.

I went in on my own after an interview because i had a craving for mussels. They were overcooked - as usual - and in a bowl full of cream. Cook the mussels? Yes. Wine, Cream, Parsley and Garlic? yes. Ham fisted and overcooked? No.

I dont want to be too harsh, it was ok but for what i was paying i was rather hoping for better.

I maybe would go again if i saw an offer or saw it and got a craving for something but wouldn't go out of my way.

Solihull, UK
“New Years Eve”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Booked for a pre- Concert meal as our usual branch at Brindley Place was fully booked. We booked well in advance to make sure and was surprised to find the restaurant half full.

We were shown to a window table which was bit draughty. The menu was presented quickly - a big dog eared and stained - and drinks came quickly.

My wife particularly wanted to mention the very strange background music - Christmas favourites mixed with French style tunes - very odd..

We chose to share a Fougasse a L'ail to start - enormous bread plait with garlic oil. Very hot.

My wife had an excellent steak with peppercorn. I had Pork and Bacon sausages which were tasty and very dense. Excellent.

We shared a mixed chocolate pot desert which was incredibly rich and flavoured.

Service was pleasant and quick. They positively accepted a Tesco Club card points voucher.

Our Scores out of ten - Food 10; Service 9; Ambience 8; Value for Money 10.

• Visited December 2013
London
“Warm & Friendly”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Went here for a coffee with a friend I'd not seen for years. Never been in a Cafe Rouge before because it has never looked appealing but on this visit I was proved wrong. Very warm and friendly atmosphere and attentive on arrival, although re-ording coffee was a bit of a nightmare but once the attention of the staff was caught at least they were friendly. One thing I did find is that they were very persistent in telling us they served food and we sort of got the feeling that we should be ordering food rather than just be there for coffee. The ladies toilets did not flush, on both occasions I used the two "working" toilets - one was already out of order - the second visit didn't greet me with anything pleasant... I'll leave this to your own imaginations... I did, however, inform the manager who said he would get someone to investigate and sort out the problem. Not sure if he did this as we left. Staff were friendly as we left bidding us a happy New Year.

Overall, I would visit Cafe Rouge again for a coffee, but I don't think it would be my first choice. Sorry.

• Visited December 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Really Disappointed”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I went for lunch at Cafe Rouge with my girlfriend whilst shopping in Birmingham for the day. We both ordered the Chicken Baguette as it had previously been recommended to me. My girlfriends' was fine, but in mine the chicken was raw in the middle. Luckily I noticed this after only one bite so have (hopefully) avoided any illness. A less observant customer may not have been so lucky however.

This was my first experience with Cafe Rouge and I've been left feeling very disappointed and actually pretty angry that an establishment with as high a reputation as this could make such a basic yet serious mistake.

I refused to pay for any of the meal and this was met with no objection from the manager.

I will not be paying Cafe Rouge a second visit any time soon. I realise it has a largely good reputation though so my only advise would be to make sure your meal is cooked!

Visited December 2013
Bournemouth UK
“Great for a family”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

This was exactly what we were looking for for a Saturday lunch whilst shopping. Many if the pubs in Bham town centre not allow children even if your eating. Their loss! CR was lovey, great atmosphere and great food plus they were very accommodating swapping the ice cream to sorbet for our sons milk allergy. Friendly and helpful staff.
Fab