“Valentine's meal”

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #177 of 2,198 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: JAMIE’S ITALIAN Jamie’s Italian is a contemporary and informal restaurant with a menu that reflects Jamie Oliver’s passion for authentic Italian cooking, delivered with his own unique twist on classic recipes. Beautiful rustic dishes are created using carefully sourced, higher-welfare ingredients for the best flavour, but still at great value. This is a relaxed, affordable and accessible environment where the style, atmosphere and menu can be easily adapted to suit any occasion. KNOWN FOR Child friendly; great value, quick lunch; special occasions; group bookings, party planning.
Birmingham
“Valentine's meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We visited this restaurant for Valentine's Day as our first choice location wasn't available. Many people have raved about it so I wanted to try it out. We both chose a selection of breads to start then for mains I had rabbit tagliolini and my husband the lamb stew and we both agreed that it was all quite delicious. The service was friendly and there was no problem with me taking some of the breads home as there was too much for me. However, being Valentine's it was busy and some of the service reflected that fact. The only negative was the wine which was rather poor for the price. I don't know what people mean by it being overpriced. Its a city centre restaurant and I found the prices about average for what it being charged today.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Walsall
“wonderful staff, excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Half term, Birmingham City Centre, not the best time to pop in for lunch to one of the busiest restauarants. However my son and I were met by one of the friendliest teams that I have seen in a very long time.
We were quickly seated and offered a jug of water (option of tap or bottle). Specials included a belly pork with seasonal veg or a mackeral risotto. Although tempted by the risotto I opted for the garlic mushrooms on toast with a side portion of the famous polenta chips that come with a sprinkling of parmesan and rosemary. Delicious! My son had the smaller portion of prawn and chilli lingiuni. The prawns were on the small side but still very tasty.
Three scoops of home made ice cream for desert with a decaf latte for myself. At no point were we made to feel rushed although the restaurant was buzzing. £28.00 for the lot, extremely reasonable and will defintely return.

Birmingham
“A Major Disappointment...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to celebrate our first Valentine's Day together by going for a meal at Jamie's Italian at the Bullring. We were both looking forward to it as she had been there before and had enjoyed the food.

We arrived on time and were promptly greeted by two very friendly and pleasant members of staff who checked our reservation and showed us to our table. The view from our table was great and I was really looking forward to the meal. Within 1 minute of sitting down our waiter came over and asked if we'd like water for the table and promptly came back with it...this is where the great service ended and the disappointment began.

We were left for 30 minutes before our waiter came back over to take our order. I gave him mine (Start Bay Crab) and my girlfriend asked for the Mushroom Ravioli, only to be told that they had ran out, but that she could have the sauce on spaghetti. She didn't want that and our waiter said he would give us a couple of minutes for my girlfriend to choose another dish. 20 minutes passed before he came back to finish taking our order (Sausage Pappardelle), in which time a couple had sat next to us, had their order taken and already had their starters. It was another 20 minutes before our food would appear.

Being the first time I had eaten crab, I decided that it was not for me but managed to finish most of the bowl full of lemony crab and risotto, after all I was paying £15 for it so I wasn't going to waste it. My girlfriends Sausage Pappardelle just tasted of fennel and nothing else, the taste was over powering and she only managed to finish half the dish. At this point we decided not to stay for dessert and pay the bill. We had to wait another 15 minutes before anyone came to clear our plates and we could ask for the bill and a further 10 minutes before anyone came back to take our payment.

Despite the staff being very pleasant and friendly, the mixture of the long waiting times and the food not living up to expectation mean that it is not somewhere I would recommend going.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Jamies Italian - Covent Garden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I can't say enough about the place. It was superb. The staff were so helpful and attentive and I couldn't wait to leave a tip on the table. I contacted the restaurant beforehand as I needed some info and Katie in the office was so helpful. We dined on Saturday at midday the place was alive and the atmosphere was great. Our waiter pointed us in the right direction with all the food and specials available - I am deaf and he spoke to me clearly and it was so easy to understand all he said. The food that came was superb - although a spoonful more in the risotto would have made it a great dish - mind it was so yummy I could have eaten it again. The Sour cherry bakewell was to die for. We were there 2 hours had 3 starters, 2 mains, 2 puds coffees and bottle of wine £80 the lot to me very reasonable lunch. Was just so good. GO ! Jamie should be proud to have his name on the place.

Cumbria
“overpriced and slow”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Went here for lunch - just 3 of us. It wasn't busy, and there were loads of staff around. We chose the Lamb Ravioli (x2) from the specials board and a grilled chicken breast on tomato sauce, with a side order of 'funky chips'. Food took ages to arrive, and when it did the ravioli portion looked like a starter (but not at nearly £13), although tasted OK. The chicken was good, and the chips OK but served in a cup. Still feeling hungry, had a dessert. One bakewell tart (nice, but nothing special) and two had a chocolate/cream concoction again served in a cup. This was much better that the main course.
So food very disappointing in quantity, although tasted OK - although wished we had looked further around for a more traditional Italian place. Staff very good and plentiful, and a nice place to look at, but service slow. Over £60 for a light lunch with no booze - poor value.
A place to be seen in more than a place to eat!