“Staff with a very unhelpful attitude....”

National Sea Life Centre
and up
SEA LIFE Birmingham Admission Ticket
Ranked #25 of 293 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive and be wowed by the many strange, beautiful and fascinating creatures of the deep as you journey through the amazing underwater world of The National SEA LIFE Centre Brimingham. Prepare for astonishing close views of everything from humble starfish to tropical sharks. To get any closer you'll have to get wet!
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Originally my sister and I and her 2 year old went on Saturday, she was visiting from Scotland and I thought it would be a nice day out, long queues was to be expected on the weekend, used a voucher for 2 for 1 which is the right amount of money paid for the experience, due to maintenance issues we was given a voucher to come back again, a member of staff said we could come back any day but Monday which is when the penguin enclosure opened. As my sister went back to Scotland I thought it would be nice to go with a close friend and her 2 year old today, who was very excited (she made her own packed lunch) when I arrived I showed the man the old receipt and the voucher stapled to the back which he informed me that I couldn't use it until the 28th of this month, I said I didn't read the back as we was told we could come back any day but Monday, he said that wasn't the case and that staff should have stopped giving those vouchers out, I asked what the price would be, £35 I was informed, I asked if they could do another 2 for 1 as that is what we paid on Saturday and that we was wrongly informed the answer was 'well do you have a voucher' I explained I used it Saturday etc, he also asked me who informed me I sad I think it was a lady, it was my sister who sorted it so then I asked for a manager, what I got was a rude unwelcoming manager - stating I should have read the back of the voucher, asked if there is anything he could do was a straight no answer,mI had no choice but to pay full price as I had a 2 year old little girl excited to see the fishes. I asked him to write contact information down and also his name, so when he goes to walk to the office he talks to the original member of staff who served me and rolled his eyes, then the first staff member that served me decided to discuss this with another member of staff, I seemed to be hot gossip of the day, I got the impression they thought I was trying to do something I shouldn't have been, I don't usually write reviews I can easily pass it off but I was so annoyed with the treatment I received so unhelpful and rude that I am leaving this review, it is a family place and I have taken nieces and nephews before and have not known it to be like that, I rang my sister when I got home to clarify what was said on the day and she was in agreement that the member of staff did wrongly inform us of when we could use that voucher, the only reason I am giving it 2/5 is because a little girl was very pleased with the penguins and the fishes! Oh and the 4D cinema is still in 2D just like Saturday and the previous comments on here but we wasn't too fussed about that! I'm really disappointed. Also it could do with a cafe or food area as there's not much choice around the area for children

SLC_Birmingham, Public Relations Manager at National Sea Life Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review the attraction.
I am so sorry that your second visit to us wasn’t enjoyable and that you found our staff to be rude. We take customer service very seriously and I would be grateful if you could share with me what the member of staff looked like and the time of your visit so we can address this issue (my email is slcbirmingham@merlinentertainments.biz. We will make sure this does not happen again at the centre.
We hope that this hasn’t put you off visiting us and that we will see you again soon, we will make sure that you have an enjoyable and memorable visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,073)

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

We visited the seal life centre, the 4d cinema was unable to show a 3d image which made the cinema experience boring and disappointing. We approached the Duty Manger to tell him of our concern and asked him for a chance to visit the Sea life centre with a more fuller experience free of charge. As the Sea life centre is meant to be one of the biggest attractions we were expecting a fair approach to our response. However the duty manager approached us with arrogance and ignorance and was rude and un-professional.
I would hate to think that the duty mangers appalling customer service tarnished the reputation of the Sea life centre.
I emailed the sea life centre about my disappointment and so far I have had no reply.
This is not acceptable customer service from one of the biggest family attractions in the Uk.

2  Thank Tesswade

HI Tesswade

Thanks for taking the time to review us.
I am sorry you had a disappointing visit to us, and found our staff to be unfriendly.
We are aware of the issues with the 4D cinema and are in the process of repairing it at the moment. Did one of our staff members tell you entered the cinema? We are sorry you found it boring, even without the 3D effect most of our guests have loved the cinema due to its story line and iconic characters.
I am so sorry you found our duty managers service disappointing please could you share a bit more information about what the manager looked like and we will investigate further. Customer service is of the utmost importance to us and we take complaints against this very seriously.
With regards to your email, we aim to reply to all emails within 24 hours of receiving it. Therefore you should have received a response by now. If you haven’t please email slcbirmingham@merlinentertainments.biz and we will make sure that we can rectify any disappoint you felt during your visit.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I am glad I took advantage of booking ahead online as would not want to pay the full ticket price. The best part was the jelly fish display, very well displayed with light effects.
Disappointed to queue for 20mins to sit down and find that the 4D movie was in 2D! Prior notice would be helpful!
The ocean display was good, not sure that it beats the Plymouth Aquarium.

SLC_Birmingham, Public Relations Manager at National Sea Life Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review us.

We are sorry that you were not told about the cinema being 2D before hand, we will take this feedback on board and make sure this doesn't effect any guests in the future.
I am pleased you took advantage of booking online, this is the best way to reduce your wait for entering the attraction, and also allows you to save up to 40%.

I am also pleased you enjoyed the jellyfish display, these have proved very popular and educational for people of all ages, and it sounds like you thought they were great as well.

I am sorry you didn't think we matched up to other aquariums you have visited, with over 2,000 fish, 60 displays, and 16 fully themed zones, we feel we offer an incredible day out. We have Gentoo Penguins, the UK's only hammerhead sharks, soft play area, otters, 360 ocean tunnel and much much more. I hope you will visit again soon, and take the time to enjoy everything the centre has on offer, including our talks and feeds, if you do I am sure we will exceed all expectation. Do let us know either way.

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I loved sea life centre the fish was all looked after and clean and all healthy the place it's self was great a wide range of fish the tunnel was great if you like that type off stuff would defo go again but could do with being cheaper

SLC_Birmingham, Public Relations Manager at National Sea Life Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thankyou for taking the time to write us a review! We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Today, my daughter and I decided to pay a second visit to the sea life centre in Birmingham.
How disappointed we were again! We paid £34+ and that was with a two for one adult reduction freebie. We felt like cattle being ushered around a very poor trail. Their are over 60 different species of fish to see and we only remember seeing the turtle and sharks. A very poorly routed venue with not enough toilets for mother and baby. What a waste of money for an hours walk!!!god knows what it is like in the holiday periods, very disappointed family.

1  Thank Gillian L

Hi there,

We're very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit; we are a popular attraction and can get very busy. We'd like to chat to you more about your experience - can you send us an email at slcbirmingham@merlinentertainments.biz? Thanks.