Best Western Westley Hotel
Robin Hood Toby(Birmingham)
The Gables Hotel(Birmingham)
Oxford Hotel(Birmingham)
  • Room Service
All reviewsmain buildingwestern hotelslarge car parkwedding venueno liftfriendly hotelsaturday eveningbuffet stylelovely bathroombirmingham centrespacious roombooked this hotelstayed here for one nightannexcarverynec
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Booked an overnight stay as the hotel is convenient for the airport.
Unfortunately, found we were staying in the annex, an old building seperate from the main part of the hotel where the facilities are old and worn.
Apart from the tired decor and creaky uncomfortable beds, the room where we stayed had an extrodinarily squeaky floor!! Any and every move was accompanied by a symphony of squeaks.
If you like the quiet life, and prioritise freedom of movement around your accommodation, don't stay here.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank OObiScoobi
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Stayed at the Westley for 2 nights and used their conference rooms for customer training sessions. My room was in the main hotel on the first floor. The room had been refitted in the last 6 months and was in excellent condition. All the decour in the room was first class and the bathroom gleamed.

Ate in the restaurant and the bar. The carvery in the restaurant was a good as any carvery, whilst the bar food was better than expected. as previously commented the staff in this hotel are friendly and efficient. Cannot comment on noise as on the days I stayed the hotel was quiet.

Perhaps it is because I had low expectations, but i don't think so, but I found this to be a super little hotel. More personnal than a lot of the chains, and better service than some of the independants. If you have to go to the NEC then consider this as a cheaper and better alternative to the grim or expensive hotels around the NEC. Drive time would be in the region of 20 mins.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed for a weekend as we were attending a family wedding in the hotel. The Westley appears to have been a pub with a few bedrooms which was then enlarged to the rear so that the main entrance is now off the road. There is a large carpark.
We had a mixed stay. Staff, from receptionists and managers to chamber maids and waitresses, were unfailingly polite and efficient. Any problem was dealt with quickly and pleasantly.
Food in the restaurant was only o.k. One night we we were dining a la carte and 4 out of 8 items on the main course list were missing. One morning at breakfast there was not enough bacon and sausage to feed everyone.
Rooms varied quite a lot between the old part and new part of the hotel. And the annexe or 'town house' as they prefer to call it is like a B & B and best avoided as it is shabby and remote from the main hotel.
The original bar area is also very shabby and in dire need of refurbishment.
We were part of a group staying. An elderly couple with a lot of luggage and a much younger single woman were booking in at the same time. The single woman was given a very large twin room in the main hotel while the elderly couple was given a room at the top of the town house which was small and accessed by four flights of stairs. So check your room before accepting it!
The airport and Birmingham city centre are easily reached from the hotel and staff very helpful in giving directions.
There is now WiFi access in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2007

I was booked to stay here for a week with work. On initially seeing the hotel I thought I wouldn't be impressed, how wrong was I!

There is a huge carpark to the rear of the hotel, and on entering the hotel was checked in quickly and efficiently. I was showed to my room which initially was in the annexe, and not very good. The annexe is a detached house up the road, which I didn't really like as you are very cut off, and it's a bit spooky in there!

I asked to be moved after the first night which I was without issue, and was given a room in the main house. The hotel is very cosy and homely, it just has that "home" feeling about it.

The room was comfortable, clean, and had a few TV channels, including Channels 1-4 and then some sports channels. .

I ate in the restaurant a couple of times, which was very nice, the food was good and the staff even better. There are a lot of contractors staying here in the week so the dress code is nice and relaxed. The food is reasonably priced (especially when work are paying!). Breakfast is very nice, full English breakfast delivered quickly.

If you choose to eat out, the centre of Acocks Green is only a 10 minute walk away, with a nice Italian and Indian restaurant. When you get back, there is a pub next door to the hotel, which has an internal door to the hotel so you don't even have to go outside! Beer is plentiful and cheap, and they have live sports in there if you're into that sort of thing.

There is no wireless internet access, which I was a little dissappointed with, but it's nice to get away from emails etc to be honest! The staff are very friendly and attentive, I built quite a rapport with the lady serving breakfast, and by the end of the week the manager was calling me by name!

They do quite a few functions here, so it does get busy sometimes, but it's always cosy and homely. There is a disco on Thursday nights, and I was above this, but the music is turned down at 10pm then off at 11pm.

Location wise, well it's a few miles away from the city centre. I was training just outside the city centre and it was a 10 minute drive, but it is a little out the way if you don't have a car. With a car it's no problem though, and handy for the airport and the outskirts of town.

Before I left I filled out a comment card, complimenting the staff and mentioning the wireless access as a suggestion. I was very pleasantly surprised to receive a letter from the hotel a few weeks later, thanking me for my comments and saying they have taken my wi-fi suggestion onboard.

A very nice end to a great stay, it's now my first choice in Birmingham and I am there for three weeks in September for another week!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2006

Staff were very friendley and attentive, The room i styed in was a little noisey from the Bar below but that stopped just after 11pm. Very good breakfast.
For a comfortable night, good food and friendly staff, give it a try

Happy traveling