“Service of a 5 star hotel but everything else average”

Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7
Ranked #78 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Brighton, UK
“Service of a 5 star hotel but everything else average”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

First of all I have to say how impressed I was with the staff of this hotel. Every single member of staff went out of their way and its something I rarely experience in this country even in expensive hotels. From the restaurant staff to the spa staff to staff just generally working around the hotel. All went out of their way to say good morning or ask you if they could help like when we looked lost looking for the swimming pool. We must've been asked every half an hour if everything was ok with our food at dinner and breakfast. Which brings me on to dinner - I have to say I had rather low expectations as our meal was included in the rather cheap rate (£85 for a family room) anyway and lets face it these hotels don't have a great rep for food. Well I was so wrong! The menu was limited to 3 choices of each course but what we had was fantastic quality including the kids food. I would've been happy to pay £50-£60 for this meal for 2 adults 3 kids.

Breakfast had a good selection and the kids loved the pancake making machine. Whoever came up with the kids eat free option had never met my kids!

The not so good points however are why I've given it an average. The room itself was ok but the bedding had a black mould stain on it and the bathroom was in seriously need of some TLC. Its not a big deal to go and bleach all the grout to remove all the stains. The tap was broken too. The room itself has clearly been renovated but the bathroom hasn't and really needs it. The bar, check in and restaurants are all nice and updated but the corridors etc are old and shabby.

The pool and changing areas looked ok but were dirty. The pool was murky, the floors covered in muck and yet again manky grout etc. The jacuzzi was full of black hair all around the edges and the water murky again. I made sure we all scrubbed ourselves after getting out thats for sure! The sauna in the changing rooms was nice though and as previously said the staff were lovely.

So all in all a mixed bag. I think for the price it was very good and a few small changes would make it excellent.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear babymt,

Thank you for taking the time to give your through feedback following your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I am pleased that generally you have a great time. We always welcome information as it is very useful and shared with the departments. Future guests find any feedback useful too.

It would be nice to welcome you back in the future.

Gehan Eriyagama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had a nice weekend in this hotel. Bed was comfy, room clean, 37" flat screen tv in exec room was a plus. Foods in restaurant delicious. Staff friendly and attentive, though when we checked in front desk lady got a bit confused whether Club members can have extended check out or not. Had to walk a long way to our rooms and had the feeling we are walking in a dormitory. Doors a bit worn out, so is the carpet. Spa was nice with jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and swimming pool. Can stay there after you checked out too. A bit too many people for the size of the spa, but I guess thats just because of the weekend. All in all we were satisfied with it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Istvan B
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Istvan B,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback following your stay with us.

I am pleased that generally you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments are very welcome and useful to other future guests. I will ensure that your feedback is passed to the relevant channels for future reference.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This hotel was very good. Parking was free and plentiful, check in was swift and staff were friendly.
The room was nice although it was such a long way from reception.
The only thing I will say that was disappointing was that when we rang reception, no one would answer the phone - AT ALL!! We rang and rang and rang but nobody would answer which was slightly inconvenient with reception being so far from our room. When we got downstairs 10 minutes later, there were two members of staff stood at the desk just talking. When I approached and said I had rang but no one answered the receptionist told me that they had a queue out of the door with people checking in. This is fair enough, however I would suggest that looking after customers already in the hotel is just as important as checking customers in. This is either a staffing issue or something that can be easily sorted out by just diverting the phones to someone who can assist during busy periods. I have visited a lot of hotels and have never experienced ignorance when trying to contact reception.

Overall, the room was comfortable and the location was perfect for our visit to Birmingham. We stayed room only so I cannot comment on the food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close reception area or you could end up walking for ages to get to your room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Lucy B,

Thank you for taking the time to give your thorough feedback following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

It is information such as this that helps us to get to know our guests. With this in mind, I will be speaking to my Reception manager who I know will be interested to hear your comments too.

I do hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Kindest regards, Gehan Eriyagama, General Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed at hotel for a night away with my partner. The staff where very friendley and very efficient checkin. Our room was nice apart from there was so many tiny hairs in the bathroom and on the bath tub which was slightly off putting but other then that we really enjoyed our night there. The breakfast staff were great to i rang down five minutes before breaky and said i was on my way down and wanted to take my food back to my room and when i got down stairs they had a tray with cutlery, salt and pepper etc waiting for me which i thought was a nice touch. Would defo stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Hi Kate655,

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and had nothing but praise for the staff. I will ensure that this is communicated, especially the Housekeeper as your information as this is very helpful to us.

I do hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Have just finished with a colleague eating our dinner in the restaurant at the Holiday inn Birmingham and not only enjoyed the good food but also were delighted with the service we got by the attentive staff. Nothing was to much trouble for them. We stayed 5 nights and eat in the restaurant for four of the nights and found the standard did not drop throughout. Zara served us two of the evening and she should be complemented on her joyful attitude.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Laurence F,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. In view of your comments, I have taken the liberty of displaying a copy for the staff to see, especially for Zara to see as they will be greatly encouraged by your information.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Excellent customer service throughout, sadly I can't remember everyone's names, but Emma and her colleague on the reception for check in/out. Zara and the other waitresses at the evening meal really going the extra mile to accommodate us and our 2 year old. Magdalena and the other staff on breakfast duty. All played a vital part in making our stay great.

The additional touches that really made the difference were: a courtesy call from housekeeping to check our room was up to spec within 5 minutes of arrival. Sweets for our little one (we ate them though, didn't won't to ruin her tea :) ). Lady on Spa reception bringing floats and rings for our daughter to use whilst in the pool! Delivering our desert to our room, as our little one was flagging. Being checked on at breakfast for refills etc. Complimentary drinks and pastries upon check out!

Finally, the free use of pool and spa facilities was excellent! Great opening hours for it. Probably should make more of a deal of it on your website, as it looks better in real life than in the pics and also, it's not clear that you have Sauna and Steam Room available on your website, so this was a welcome surprise.

All of your staff were excellent and you made our weekend! Thank you!

Room Tip: We were in room 233, which was nice and close for reception, restaurant and swimming pool. However a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank gdkmail
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear gdkmail,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments. I have taken the liberty of displaying a copy for the staff to see, especially those mentioned in order that they are aware of your comments, as I am sure they will be greatly encouraged.

Your information is very useful to us and is taken seriously, in order for us to find solutions and remain focused on delivering “Great Hotels Guests Love”.

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kindest regards,
Wirral, England
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and went to the adult only New Year's Eve function. The stay was good value, especially as the drinks were included in the price of the function (wine not paritcularly drinkable though). The adult only celebration was good for most of the time and the food was good, but there were occasions that people from the family celebration were allowed in and took the dancefloor over. Having said that, I complained to reception and they were sent back to the restaurant were the family function was based. I do think the hotel should think about that if they are to offer two functions next year. If someone has booked and paid for an adult only function, they do not want to find the dancefloor has become a children's nursery at 7 minutes to twelve!! At least it was sorted by midnight.

The room was fine and the hotel well positioned - near the M6, but not with noise from it. We had asked for a queit room and got one. There were a couple of problems with the room but they were dealt with quickly and politely, so I do not consider them a problem. All the staff in the hotel were particularly polite, efficient and pleasant (appart from the person who was managing the New Year function as he seemed incapable of keeping out people who were not booked into the function).

There is a very good Indian restaurant over the road and a Harvester and another pub which does food nearby as well.

Overall I would have given a higher rating of the hotel if the function had been managed better.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TringWirral,

I am pleased that generally you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments are very welcome and useful to other future guests.

Your comments are very valuable to us and will be considered as we are currently in the process of planning events for the Christmas and New Years period for 2014. Your feedback will be taken on board as we can take them into account and learn from our guests.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Gehan Eriyagama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Birmingham Marriott Hotel
#32 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7? Share your experiences!