“Coach Party”

Ranked #78 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Essex
“Coach Party”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here with a coach party. Often when part of a coach party hotels treat you like second class citizens. Not so This holiday inn.Staff very helpful and welcoming. Rooms clean and comfortable. The breakfast was just scrumptious . Would i stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2013
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Sudawn,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I thank you for your comments. Comments such as these are very encouraging but more importantly very useful to us. The staff will be encouraged by them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Gehan Eriyagama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was pleased upon arriving to the hotel as its location was good and the open ground surrounding the hotel was nice on the eye.
Check-in was quick and I was greeted by a happy soul which is a good start to any hotel stay.
As a priority club member check-in was swift.

The room itself was nice upon entering as I was upgraded to the Executive Room.
All the usual amenities were available minus robes or slippers which are a minor but if you are going to be paying the full rate then you will be expecting everything for a Executive Room.
Main bedroom area is perfect, with clean sheets and decent pillows. Furniture is worn and tired, decent size television, tea and coffee making facilities. Carpet was clean and hovered which is a must for me.

Bathroom I was more disappointed with as not sure if the room had not been used for a while but had hairs and little bits of dirt on floor indicating not cleaned properly, bath had few hairs but overall clean. The tiles and area around toilet is worn which does give it the more shabby look.
Overall not a bad room for the rate I paid but would not be happy paying full rate at all.

I also booked and requested late checkout but forgot to ask regarding this upon check-in, I left the hotel and returned in the evening and asked the late shift receptionist who greeted me with arrogance and thought she was doing me a favor by extending it by an hour and not asking if that was sufficient time, I do not expect this as a customer and definitely not as an Platinum member.
This issue relating to staff attitude needs to be addressed and late checkout is stipulated in most literature I have seen state 2pm…It is a little misleading.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mo Z

Thank you for your feedback which I read with interest and concern. Your information is very useful to us and therefore, I will ensure that they are discussed with my Management Team without delay.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Gehan Eriyama
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My experience here was brilliant. Stayed here for two nights with my partner and found the food to be good and the service even better. Plentiful breakfast, with lots of options (the best i have seen) staff were over helpful and made me feel really welcome in all areas of the hotel. Would recommend staying here to everybody and a major plus is the distance from city centre.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Hello Chris H

Thank you for taking the time to give your kind and thorough review of the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

Your feedback is key if we are going to get to know our guests well and deliver the service they deserve. I am so proud of the level of service our team offered to you and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kindest regards
Mexborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stopped here for a night or two on our way home from our half term holidays. It was a bulk standard Holiday Inn - exactly what we expected and we were happy.

Our room was clean and tidy and the extra bed for our children was already set up for us (not always the case in other hotels!). It was a bit odd though, there didn't seem to be a lift to our room which necessitated a lot of our luggage being bumped up the stairs. The room was ridiculously hot even though we opened the window and had the air con on full.

We ate breakfast each morning and were more than happy with it. We didn't try the scrambled egg! Our boys were particularly impressed with the machine making fresh pancakes. Again, it was exactly what we expected - not fine dining but a perfectly adequate breakfast and plenty of it. The staff in the restaurant were chatty and pleasant.

It's a good stopping off point for us and we had fun exploring Birmingham while we were there.

Room Tip: If you don't want to lug your cases upstairs, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear amandabrewerton,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, your information is very useful. I will ensure that your comments are discussed with the team as they will be greatly encouraged.

We do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The usual expected brand standard experience in a Holiday Inn by way of the room. Nothing to distinguish it from any other. It is what it is & the price fairly reflects that.parking was plentiful & no additional charges.The staff came across as friendly but not particularly empowered or enthusiastic about delivering anything but an average experience. What set it apart was the non brand standard breakfast. They clearly had all the required elements; sausages eggs etc. however it was as if the cheapest of every element had been sourced & served up! It was lifeless And unappealing. Guys do you really think consumers these days cant tell when you're serving up liquid scrambled eggs catering mix. We can tell the difference between fresh eggs & they grey sponge excuse you provided. I would recommend the hotel based on an averages price offering & suggest u dont pay for breakfast but go to macdonalds down the road .

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Amanda and Stev...N,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to comment following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I read your comments with concern and disappointment. If you wish to discuss your visit further, I would be happy to speak with you. You can contact me on 0871 942 9009 or via my email at gehan.eriyagama@ihg.com.

I hope that despite your feedback that we may be able to welcome you back in the future.

Kindest regards,
Gehan Eriyagama

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

It was a last moment decision to get way from it all for two nights , decided to stay at the Holiday Inn as everyone knows the Holiday Inn brand and it sounded like a good two night stay and dinner deal. Didnt even bother to read the reveiews, well suffice to say I would not recommend this stay to a friend ! !
Check in was ok, got room 131 which happened to be downstairs, we got there thinking we would be stuck in the basement but thankfully that wasnt the case. The room itself can be described as very small, dismal, gubby and tired. Bed was a smallish double, furniture upholstery was so old and even torn in places, carpet was so worn it should have been replaced perhaps years ago. Cleanliness is a real sticking point with me and I found the standards low. The bathroom was extremely small although had a bath, very dated and in need of re-grouting. Needless to say it brought the morale down very quickly. We didnt complain.

We had the first night's dinner included so we thought that might cheer us up. I ordered a sirloin steak at some extra expense as was not part of the set menu. My husband ordered grilled chicken on skewers. A most unappetisisng plate of dry tough over done steak arrived with no sauce, some chips and an undressed salad.The dish was dry and unpalatable and to top it all off served with a blunt fruit knife which could hardly cut through the piece of meat on my plate. I asked for peppercorn sauce and what i receivd was plainly peppercorns crushed in bisto gravy not the creamy sauce which you normally expect. My husband's food was equally dry and tasteless. The older gentleman sitting behind me had been waiting for his food for over half and hour and every ten minutes or so a member of staff would pass by him and ask " Sir, are you still waiting for your mains?" and then wander off in search of this elusive plate of food. Apparently the five or six young people sitting on our left had all ordered burgers and when the waitress came to ask them at the end if everything was alrite one of them said " you do know we had to send three of the burgers back" . This did not fill me with confidence and we decided not to dine there on the second night.

I would sincerely hope the management would improve the standard of rooms, resturant service and food because when people pay they expect atleast value for money and a certain standard associated with their brand name. If this continues, there is no doubt they would lose business.

On the plus side, I found the breakfast to be good and breakfast staff friendly and efficient. Hotel is surrounded by nice grounds. Indoors the communal areas are ok but hotel rooms and room corridors need an urgent overhaul.

At the moment I would not recommend this particular holiday inn hotel to a friend.

Room Tip: Dont stay here till they refurbish!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shropshiregirl100
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Shropshiregirl 100,

Thank you for taking the time to comment following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I read your comments with concern and disappointment. In view of this, I would be grateful if you were able to contact me via email on gehan.eriyagama@ihg.com or at the hotel on 0871 942 9009 where I would be happy to discuss this further.

Kindest regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 of 3 weeks work in Birmingham. A crazy exit..junction 7 off the M6 means you need to slow right down but adds to the quirkiness of brum, remember you're after the A34 to Walsall. A great rate meant I paid little more than the T-Lodge was gonna charge me so an easy choice. Plenty of free parking and nice grounds. Nice upgrade to exec room 236. The rooms... a little dated maybe but very spick and span with Big Flat screen TV, safe and fridge made for a great room (for my rate). The bathroom is very compact (read tight!) as I expected.. fine for me, with a shower over the bath but don't bring any cats if you're a swinger!

Grub wise..50% for Tastecard holders was an added bonus..service was stretched during a staff party.. a little predictable and maybe could have been better planned but would give it another bash. There is a Harvester 3-4 minutes on foot if that's your thing.

The thing that I really liked was the choice of 500 points or a drinks voucher for being platinum.. somewhere that lets me decide what I value most (and a management that thinks about its loyalty customers)..rather than my stay at the CP (A soft drink at the bar!). Would I stay again...deffo and a good base for work and a mates weekend away.

Finally..make sure you give yourselves a good 10 minutes to join the M6 in the morning, but once you're on it, you're away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear drdanielmacdonald,

Thank you for your feedback. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments. I will ensure that the staff see your comments as they will be greatly encouraged.

Your information is very useful to us and is taken seriously, in order for us to find solutions and remain focused on delivering “Great Hotels Guests Love”.

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Gehan Eriyagama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Birmingham Marriott Hotel
#35 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7? Share your experiences!