“Just OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #75 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I spent a night here for work, and for the purpose it did the job. These places generally do. That said, it was probably the worst business hotel I’ve stayed in for some time – single beds in the twin room I had were far from ideal, and there is seemingly no soundproofing anywhere, meaning that every time anyone in the rooms either side or on the floor above opened a door or used the bathroom I could hear everything. But it was clean and the staff were friendly.

The breakfast I had was excellent, and in stark contrast to the dinner we had the night before which was only just the right side of edible. My colleague had a piece of pork belly that featured ‘crackling’ that was just a gelatinous mess of fat that she spooned on to the side of her plate, the vegetables were overcooked and tasteless, and the bread rolls were stale. It should have all gone back, but we weren’t paying and didn’t want to embarrass the person that was.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear acr606,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I read your comments with concern, and therefore I would be very grateful if you would contact me on 0871 942 9009 or via email: gehan.eriyagama@ihg.com as I would be pleased to discuss this further with you.

Kindest regards

Gehan Eriyagama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

stated here at the last minute. Git up too early fir breakfast but still got it (cheers Dave) saw a group turned away too. Had a problem with the shower in my room that needed walls ripping out but used the shower on the pool/gym that I was going to anyway. I was given 20% off my bill fir this inconvenience. The staff were great would definitely return

• Stayed April 2013
Dear DarrenTravelonw,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I was pleased that the staff were able to help you with your comments, which are very helpful to us. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future

Kindest regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

just left today after 3 night stay with family. Booked early and got great price.
3 different menus available, only had the bar one- delicious! To top it off- kids ate free. Ate there 3 times.
pool and health club were nice too.
Staff were extremely friendly and hard working. They had a massive church group for breakfast on 2 days, managed to feed all 300 worshippers! Well done.
Thank u again to all the staff.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear majd1,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments. I will ensure that the staff see your comments, as I am sure they will be greatly encouraged.

Your information is very useful to us and is taken seriously, in order for us to find solutions and remain focused on delivering “Great Hotels Guests Love”.

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

the staff and managment are first class and very friendly and warm to their customers and guests. Thats the good points, however the hotel clearly needs investment. Although its clean the bedroom furniture is tired and dated. The breakfast was great but again the restaurant needs some money spending in it as the chairs, blinds and pictures are very dated. Come on Holiday Inn break your piggy bank.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear gouldfather,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I was pleased to hear your comments regarding the staff and I am sure they will be encouraged by your feedback. With regards to the decor issues, please be assured that I will pass these on the our owners for their information.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week for the very first time,I couldn't really complain for the room rate.The only negatives were that the chair and coffee table in the bedroom had seen better days but other than that it was more than acceptable.The massive plus side was that the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in,I really didn't want to get up in the morning.The bar was impressive too

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Pot6y,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to comment following your recent stay with us.

Your feedback is very helpful to us and taken seriously, therefore, I have passed on your information regarding the furniture of the bedroom to our owners.

Thank you again and I hope we may welcome you back.

South Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Booked for 1 night with friends. Check-in was swift but was sent to a room that smelt really badly of smoke. Even though there was a no smoking sign on the door the previous occupant had obviously ignored this and smoked heavily - yes this isn't the hotels fault but surely this would be picked up upon cleaning the room and measures would be taken to remove the smell? Not at all. It was that bad you could smell it in the corridor passing that particular room. Very disgusting. So after the trek back to reception we were eventually moved without an apology or anything to a new room. Try going to the toilet in these rooms. You have to site sideways! Never before have I seen such a small space between toilet and bath! You would laugh about it if it wasn't your hard earned money being paid for this terrible place. We had dinner included and this was disgusting too. The waitress was coughing into her hand then delivering the food and we had to wait around 15-20 minutes for dessert to come out and ask several times for it. The fish was cold on my partners plate and all the staff looked disinterested and surly when approached. In the bar there was only 1 useful member of staff who knew how to work the tills ETC and when he left the other staff seemed like headless chickens getting the orders wrong and taking an age to serve. Didn't bother with Breakfast in the morning for the reasons above.

All in all an unforgettable stay for all the wrong reasons. Will not stay again. Shame on the Holiday Inn name!

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking. They all are but make sure you get what you ask for!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RingOandCrystaL
Dear RingOandCrystaL,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

On behalf of the team at the hotel, I read your comments with concern and disappointment. Please be assured that your information will be discussed with the relevant Managers without delay.

Despite your comments we do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Gehan Eriyagama

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have stayed here twice now,both for one night.The first time was in March and had about a foot of snow but the room was lovely and warm.Breakfast was great.Staff were good.Second visit was in April.Was a weekday and much busier....staff still ok but not as attentive as our previous weekend stay.The pool was nice but changing areas need more frequent cleaning.We requested an iron and board as well as extra milk for coffees in our room but we hadn't had any of these when we left! Ok,could be much better as in a convenient spot with huge grassed grounds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Downurway,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback following your stay with us.

I was sorry to hear of your disappointment after returning to the hotel. I would like to assure you that I am aware of certain issues that need to be addressed. These are currently being looked at.

In view of this, I hope that we may be able to welcome you back in the future.