“Mediocre”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night while going to a concert. Our first experience of the hotel was not pleasant. We had to join the end of a large queue to check in. Having waited about 15 minutes (the staff were doing their best) we finally got checked in. The hotel only had two lifts, which was totally inadequate, and we had to wait once again to get to our room.
The room wasn't bad for the price. It had everything we needed, including an excellent and very welcome hot shower. The TV had a good range of programmes on it.
The next problem came when we returned from the concert. Our card wouldn't work the room door. We were on the fourth floor, and had to make our way back down to reception to get it sorted. The person on reception re-programmed our card, and on the second attempt it worked.
The next morning, breakfast was of mixed quality. The bacon was chewy, which was totally unacceptable. We could have had a fresh fried egg if we could have found someone to cook it for us. However, the food was plentiful.
When we went back up to our room, once again the card wouldn't work, and our door wouldn't open. We trekked back down to reception. This time the person on reception was more helpful. He re-programmed our card and accompanied us to our room to make sure everything worked. It did.
As we left quite early in the day, luckily we didn't have to queue to check out.
I don't think we'll stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear MPeterson67

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am sorry we didnt live up to your expectations. It is unfortunate that you arrived at what was obviously a busy time for reception and my apologies that you had to wait for some time to check in and get to your room.

From my records, I have identified which room you stayed in and have asked that the lock on this door be replaced to avoid any future repitition. We normally receive very good feedback about our breakfast and I have discussed your comments with my Head Chef.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Hotal again in the future.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Was not at all impressed with this hotel... generally did not enjoy the experience at all.
The decor seems tired and shabby
The service from reception was not especially good
The car park was full, so it cost a fortune to park at a nearby public car park
When I asked for it, was given a "24-hour" wifi code that ran out about 4 hours later (at midnight) - apparently all wifi codes expire at midnight and you then have to request another one, which seems stupid idea in a hotel, where you're staying OVERNIGHT!
We missed out on breakfast because apparently we should have been given a voucher when we checked in. We weren't given one. Next morning when we phoned down for a 6am breakfast for an early start, were then told we couldn't have one unless we had a voucher :-( We were unhelpfully told we could go down to the restaurant at 7am - not much use as we had to be out by then.
Our room was supposed to be a 'superior' room - if it was, I dread to think what the standard rooms must be like.
Wouldn't stay here again.

2  Thank Carol M

Dear Carol M

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and my apologies for your stay not living up to our normal high service standards. I will be discussing your comments with my management team to ensure they are addressed and that we improve on service delivery.

With kind regards

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and came by train. The hotel is a short walk from the station so the location is very useful, especially if the weather is terrible like it was when I stayed.
The staff were dressed very smartly but seemed to work very slowly on the check in desk and as I was laden with bags and laptops when I arrived I was hoping for a faster service after a long trip.
The hotel is a bit dated as is the decor, but everything appeared to be serviceable and my room was functional and had enough space for what I needed.
The bed was two single beds pushed together so it wasn't actually very comfy, so I hate to think what it would be like for a couple to sleep in.
The bathroom was quite tatty and some of the mosaics were repaired poorly so that they were scratchy underfoot. Again the bathroom was serviceable but not where I would choose to stay for a break if I had the choice.
When I had a shower there were no towels left in my bathroom so I had to walk around dripping wet until I found some spare towels in the wardrobe. I appreciate I should have checked this before I got in the shower- but it isn't something you expect in a hotel!

Room Tip: No clue which are the better rooms!
1  Thank experttravelcorner

Dear Lucy C

Many thanks for your review and my apologies if the additional towels in the wardrobe were not obvious. Since your stay we have now put signage into our bedrooms indicating their presence.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I don't like giving hotels bad reviews. In fact, this is my first 2* review of a hotel.

Let's start with arrival. The car park is poorly signposted and it's just a patch of fenced in wasteland anyway. I had dinner - I don't expect to wait 35 minutes for a starter and another half hour for the main course, then discover the main course is not as advertised because they've run out of bits. The waitress was apologetic but she shouldn't be put in that position.

The room is comfortable if a little dated, but it has plenty of workspace. What it doesn't have is the advertised trouser press. There's a cupboard labelled trouser press, but it's empty. The shower isn't much more than a dribble.

When I'm shown to my table at breakfast I expect to be offered tea or coffee but I had to ask for those. There's plenty of food on the buffet but the bacon is fatty and greasy and the scrambled eggs are sloppy.

What else? My 6.45 alarm call came at 7.20 and my newspaper never showed up at all. When I questioned that the reception staff just shrugged and said the clerk who booked me in must have forgotten to order it. I don't think he did, because I saw him write it on a clipboard.

The owners can't do much about the traffic and it would take a lot of cash to update it fully, but they could make a lot more of their property with some hands-on management. Taste the food, encourage the waiting staff to tell you when a customer is waiting too long for it - it's little things like the handles on the drawers in the room being loose - that costs nothing to fix, but it gives the impression nobody watches and nobody cares.

Looking at the other guests I suspect it gets a lot of meeting trade where central booking offices block book rooms. Being near the station and relatively cheap counts a lot for them, but maybe that's not spurring the management to make the most of what they've got here.

2  Thank CrinklyTraveller
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear CrinklyTraveller

Thank you so much for posting such an informative review which I have discussed with my management team. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations when you stayed and I extend my apologies for the lapses in service.

All of our food is cooked fresh and to order for dinner which does result in food taking a little longer to prepare, particularly at peak times, however I have spoken to my Chef to ensure we have adequate ingredients on site to prepare all the dishes.

We are in the process of replacing the Trouser presses with irons and ironing boards and in addition we are replacing all of our showerheads. I have also discussed with my recpetion team the importance of double checking wake up calls to ensure we get the correct timings.

I do hope, if you stay again, you will see your comments have been actioned and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a 1980s hotel in need of an overhaul. Rooms are at least clean, and the staff are friendly. The location is good. Average 3* hotel, but it is masquerading as, and priced as a 4*. Not good value.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank PT5

Dear PT5

Many thanks for posting a review and for your kind comments regarding our friendly staff and clean rooms. Indeed our location is excellent for the centre of Birmingham and is in within convenient reach of most major attractions within the city.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed for two nights on business, attending a conference at ICC. The central position of the hotel is good if attending an event at ICC , however the hotel is in need of updating. The room was average but no air conditioning so too hot for my liking--if you open window too noisy. In summary if you can get a good rate then adequate otherwise I would look elsewhere.

1  Thank Peter186342

Dear Peter186342

Thank you for your review, indeed our location is excellent for the ICC and the new Birmingham Library and I am pleased to hear you found it so convenient. We are in the process of redocorating our rooms and whilst we do not enjoy the benefits of air conditioning, we do provide fans in every room.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Booked to stay last Friday night..20th September.
The hotel looks beautiful when you enter it..very smart.
The male receptionist needs to learn some 'people skills'...he wasn't very welcoming or pleasant.Our room w3as shaby...threadbare carpets, 3 very large old spider webs hanging down and the hot tap in the sink did not work. We went down to reception and spoke to a young lady who promised to get this repaired whilst we were out. This didn't happen.
The room was very warm. The room was clean apart from the spider webs.
The breakfast staff were very pleasant and welcoming.Breakfast was very plentiful.
We stayed at a Premier Inn on the Saturday night and this was by far superior to the Copthorne. We chose the Copthorne for its location as we had business in the city centre

1  Thank jkmcdonald

Dear jkmcdonald

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I have discussed your comments with my housekeeping team to ensure our clenliness is kept to the highest levels. I am sorry if you felt the welcome on reception wasnt as good as it should be and I will be discussing this with the team.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding breakfast and the service provided in the restaurant.