“Not in hot weather”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A very centrally located hotel, and its location is its principal attraction. I booked a week at Copthorne because my first-choice hotel didn’t have any vacancies for my time bracket, and I was looking for a centrally located hotel. It’s three minutes to the Museum and Art Gallery (highly recommended), ten minutes to New Street Station and about twenty minutes to Moor Street Station.

The rooms are a standard affair, everything you expect from a hotel of that class. Some items are found in unexpected places, for instance, I found the hair dryer in a desk drawer, but all the requisite amenities are there. However, I don’t recommend staying at this hotel during a heat wave like I did. The lobby is pleasantly air-conditioned (I wonder about the management’s offices), but the most you can count on in your room is a fan, and to benefit from it, you have to position yourself directly in the line of the air flow. I tried asking for an air-conditioned room, it was so hard to breathe in mine I was ready to pay extra for the privilege of not feeling groggy all day long, but I was told the hotel had no air-conditioned rooms. I wouldn’t recommend opening the windows for the night either, at least not if your room overlooks the Paradise Forum as mine did. The hotel power unit, or whatever that is, is located there, and it emits steady, industrial-strength noise, and round the clock, too, loud enough to drown out the TV.

The staff at reception are very, very nice and helpful, but good luck getting anything out of the housekeeping people. Notes left with them via reception, attempts to explain your problem directly to the person tidying your room produce absolutely zero results.

The hotel also has a restaurant with Singapore/Malaysian cuisine, and it’s nice and moderately priced compared to the restaurants in the city. Yes, I know, hard to believe it can happen in a hotel, but there you go. However, if you want to have breakfast at the hotel, you have to pay extra, so they still get their money from you in the morning, even if you pay less in the evening. Then again, Paradise Forum is full of little cafes, so you can go there.

The Internet access comes at the additional charge of 5 pounds for 24 hours, and it’s a bit ridiculous when cheaper hotels offer it for free.

Oh, and their vacuum cleaners are called Henry (written on top in large letters), and they have faces on them, smiling shyly. Very nice and friendly-looking vacuum cleaners.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Kriemhild

Thank you so much for your review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. Whilst our bedrooms or management offices do not enjoy the benefits of air conditioning, we do everything we can to ensure the rooms remain cool during very hot weather.

Thank you for your great comments about Bugis Street which I will be sharing with the team. With regards to breakfast, we offer both Room Only and Bed & Breakfast rates at the hotel to provide our guests with the best value for money depending on their circumstances.

I have spoken to my reception and housekeeping team to ensure messages are passed on and I extend my apologies for this. I will pass your regards on to Henry the Hoover!!

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel is right in the centre of Birmingham so good access for bars and shops etc. The common areas are nice and well decorated but the rooms are quite tired and also in need of air conditioning. I was provided with a tower fan but in that heat it really wasn't enough and I didn't sleep well at all. Breakfast was great and the staff helpful, I arrived late so didn't have dinner. Be advised - be very careful when you park. The hotel parking is either a scrap of land next oposite the hotel, which arriving in the dark or at dusk like I did looks like derelict land closed off with a barrier or there is also parking under the hotel. Being a female travelling alone, I didn't fancy the underground car park after dark and there were some other spaces facing me when I turned in so I parked there. These however belong to Europarks and it cost me £60 in the morning! Ultimately I know this was my fault but I asked at reception if they didn't think they should make sure with guests that they had parked in a hotel space (as most hotels with shared parking do) and was advised that it was not policy to do this. Also, the time on the Europarks ticked was 2 minutes after I left the car. They must have been watching and instead of a bit of good PR "excuse me madam you are obviously going to the hotel, did you realise that this is not one of their spaces" they waited until the hotel door closed behind me and slapped a ticket on my car. I was very disappointed with the hotel's attitude to this, surely they must have some sort of relationship with Europarks or they should check with guests (especially those arriving after dusk) where they have parked?

1  Thank AKA_Wiccan

Dear AKA_Wiccan

Many thanks for your review and I am sorry to hear you recieved a parking ticket outside the hotel. Unfortunately, we are unable to reverse any tickets which are given in these spaces and I am unable to comment on Europarks policies.

As you mentioned, we do have 2 car parks at the hotel, one directly opposite and the other underneath the hotel. Both are covered by CCTV and well lit using motion sensitive lights.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Provided you get a good deal this is an ideal hotel for a short stay. It is not as plush as some of the hotels in the Millennium chain but it is ok for the price, and is centrally located. The hotel is a bit tired and dated but I found the rooms to be clean and the staff friendly and helpful, classic case of you get what you pay for.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear colin r

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to hear you felt your stay represented good value for money, something we pride ourselves in offering.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

we booked through a travel zoo offer, £49 bed and breakfast, firstly we were given two complimentary drinks, free parking (saving us £12.00) beds were comfortable, room was spacious, on a hot night cool air blower was provided allowing a good night sleep. On arrival we asked for restuarant opening times and were told 6 am to 9.30, i had to get home early we went for breakfast at 6.20 am to find out it didn`t open on weekends until 7.30, the receptionist excelled when he new we were going to miss breakfast, we were offered a take away lunch bag each, asked if we would like tea or coffee while we waited, also the waiter said he could rustle up some toast for us and asked if we would like to wait in the lounge area.
when he returned with the toast he also gave us two full breakfasts 45 mins before the restuarant opened. to me that was service and kindness we did not expect.
i will definatly be looking to book this hotel again on a theatre break in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michael e
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear michael e

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am so pleased to hear the Restaurant Team looked after you before breakfast. I do hope we can all welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were here a few years ago and on this occasion went for a last minute offer on Travelzoo. £49.00 for a double room with breakfast, free parking and a free drink appeared to be very good value. Indeed it was. The price, however, was the only very bright spot. On checking in the receptionist was not aware of the 'deal' and had to shown the hotel's confirmation on my wife's phone. She was not apologetic. The room was spacious and equipped in the standard way. It was not air conditioned. The window opened to allow some air and there was a fan. The carpet was quite badly stained. The bath's cold tap fell to bits. The main reception area and bar were fine and the restaurant was neat. The breakfast was above average. The check out was efficient but not friendly.
The hotel has the benefit of its central location but this in itself has the downside of the noise of the traffic.
Overall we would take advantage of a similar offer but would not be prepared to pay the rack rate until the rooms are upgraded.

Room Tip: During the summer try to get a room with air conditioning
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tattybuy

Dear tattybuy

Many thanks for your review and I am sorry we didnt live up to your expectations on this visit. We are in the process of redocorating our bedrooms and this week have new televisions being installed. I will identify from our records which room you stayed in and have the bathroom looked at immediately.

I do hope we can welcome you back very soon

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The only hotel I've stayed at that's served Stella Black on tap!

When I got there they had upgraded me from a room to a suite which was very nice indeed.
The suite had a separate lounge area with TV and sofa plus storage cabinets.

The master bedroom had a King size bed with all the usual, Ironing board, trouser press, tv coffee and tea making facilities. It had no air con which made it very hot but the staff had opened all the windows prior to arrival which was nice.

The bathroom as the only minor let down, despite the fact it was marble and had gold taps the taps were warn - this I can live with, however, the jacuzzi bath had been painted with emulsion and was peeling and there was black mould on the grouting behind the taps.

The staff were very friendly and the food the next day was amazing full of choice for all dietary requirements.

Thank you Copthorne a very peaceful evening all round.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Whitebits_Travels

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are really pleased to hear you liked the Suite and enjoyed our extensive breakfast. I will share with the team your comments reagrding the service and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked the Copthorne because of its close proximity to Symphony Hall. We decided against breakfast as this was offered at an extra charge - and the hotel is close enough to Wetherspoons and other facilities where you could eat more cheaply.

The receptionist was pleasant and helpful on arrival and check in was very efficient. Our room was a standard double with everything you would expect to find. The only criticism was temperature control - there didn't appear to be a way of regulating this and because our room overlooked the bars - we were not able to open the window.

I can't say a great deal more really... it was fit for purpose, a bit jaded in parts - but clean. A convenient location for shops, theatres and Broad Street. I just can't think of a good enough reason to return - and would probably look at other hotels in the area for future stays.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kaf1sh

Many thanks for your review, indeed our location has to be one of the best in city. We do our best to keep our rooms as cool as possible and do provide fans in every room.

I was dissappointed to hear that you would look at other hotels in the area but if you do change your mind, we would love to see you again.