“Recommended !”

Ranked #102 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Recommended !”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We just returned home after a 2 night stay here and I really couldn't fault it except one small thing - the bathroom lighting was quite poor, but that didn't spoil our stay. The hotel is in a perfect location for shops bars restaurants. We were made very welcome and every member of staff were smiling and pleasant and we got good service from start to finish. Lovely breakfast, and as for the price of car parking the previous reviewer should look at the cost of parking in an NCP car park. Yes it is slightly dated in parts but that doesn't matter when its clean and comfortable and very good value. Thanks for a lovely stay (despite the heavy Police presence because of the protests in the City on Saturday ! )

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

David Lane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel has a great location, right near the the central library, convention center and happening places on Broad Street. It boasts a 4 star rating, but it is questionable how it maintains this rating. On the plus side the rooms are reasonably large, bed is comfortable, bathroom is reasonable and there is a good size desk. The lobby is large and there is a bar ( expensive and not very active) as well as a restaurant that serves a large buffet for 11 pounds or so. However, the rooms are old and distressed- holes and threadbare carpets, few plugs for laptops, recharging etc. Worst of all, there is no air conditioning and, while the window opens about 5-6 cm, it lets in absolutely no air. Furthermore, my window at least overlooked the main air conditioning, meaning one is exposed to a bothersome fan all night long, only occasionally overridden by noise from the nearby bars. Most of my colleagues checked out after one night and I probably will too, having given it 2 relatively sleepless nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your review. We are in the process of redecorating our rooms and providing additional power sockets to each bedroom. Whilst we do not enjoy the benefits of air conditioning we do provide fans in every bedroom however I do appreciate it has been warm during this heatwave.

I understand you may well still be staying with us, please do contact me at the hotel if you are, so we can discuss further.

With kind regards

David Lane

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed 2 nights and it was extremely hot. Rooms do not have airconditioning so a fan was provided. The fan was on a two hour timer (to save cost I suspect) and you had to get up several times a night to turn back on. Car park a little expensice at £12 a day. For the same price you can get an new style Premier inn which has beter sleeping facilities. I stayed with my wife and our double bed was two singles pushed together - not ideal.

On the positive side, staff were very good, prompt and helpful. The facilites were good but the whole place looks dated in comparison to other hotels I use frequently, particularly the rooms. Not quite sure the last time I saw a steel bath in a hotel but I liked that bit. Fixtures and fittings circa 1970s. Not seen a TV that deep or square for years.

Overall average but it could do with some investment to compete with new style Premier Inns which have a much more modern look and feel (for less money). If you want basic hotel accommodation but with good facilities then this could well be for you. If you want a quality room with sleep quality then perhaps not as located with busy road going all the way round (no aircon so windows fully open).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. All of our fans can be operated on continous basis or on a timer and my apologies if this was not clear. I am pleased to tell you that our TV's are being replaced in August to flat screen TV's.

Many thanks for your wonderful comments with regards to the team and the service they provided which I will pass on to them.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here for my partners birthday treat - I wanted a nice hotel and somewhere to go out for a nice meal and I managed to find both! I am quite surprised by the amount of people saying the hotel needs an update, both me and my partner were baffled by these comments as the lobby / restaurant were lovely and modern, and the room was just as lovely - everything was clean and up to date, very nice bathroom and lovely big comfy bed (admittedly I did pay a little extra for a "deluxe" room so obviously cannot comment on standard rooms but I can't imagine them being massively different in terms of furnishings etc). Staff seemed very friendly and after feeling a little worse for wear on the Sunday morning the breakfast was outstanding, well worth paying a little bit more for.

If I end up staying in Birmingham again I will be staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and I am pleased to hear you and your partner enjoyed your weekend.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Reception untrained on arrival as I checked in and no facilities nor booking to room was explained.
I ordered a refreshment to take to the room and was told I had not got authorisation to do so! (My fault!)? Did I feel put out? Yes! I then had to go to reception and swipe card, then go back to room to pick up slip to allow me to charge to room! Annoying..
Room was adequate. However draw backs were poor lighting in the bathroom, noisy fans outside and no air con at all! Not ideal...

Meal was exceptional, tasty and great value! Service was efficient but no real bother about me or my stay! S&P king prawns were excellent!
I would much rather stay in other hotels due to poor air con and average service levels.

• Stayed July 2013
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your review and my apologies that your check in was not as seemless as it should have been. I have spoken to the team to ensure that all facilities are explained upon arrival.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed Bugis Street Brasserie which we do get some great comments on.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here last night for work and was very disappointed. Having looked on the website the Copthorne looked to be a modern hotel and I was looking forward to staying here and trying soemwhere different in Birmingham. Last night was one fo the hottest nights of the year and the Copthorne has no air conditioning, something I found very surprising as the lobby and reception are really modern and inviting. A fan was provided was it was poor quality and all it did was re-use the warm air in the room. It was impossible to sleep in this room and thus my quality night's sleep ahead of a big work day was ruined. I was meant to be staying there tonight but have cancelled and moved to another hotel locally that does have air con and nice big fresh, modern rooms for a mere £6 extra a night. Aside from the heat I wouldn't recommend the hotel; the rooms are small, bed quality is poor, bathroom and decor in general is outdated, no iron in the room, it's shabby. Disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Im so sorry you found it difficult to sleep last night because of the warm conditions on what was the hottest day of the year. We do provide fans in all of our bedrooms and do our best to keep our rooms as cool as possible during the day.

I do hope you give us the oppportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A nice hotel in a great central location. The service was excellent - better than I have received many other four star hotels. The rooms were dated, but clean and well kitted out. Good value and I would happily stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
What lovely comments, thank you so much. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Birmingham.