“Great location if you get it at the right price”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #99 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Solihull, UK
“Great location if you get it at the right price”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here when on a night out with friends in Brum. We booked it through laterooms a while back and got it at £50 for a twin room. The hotel is in a great location, easy to find and has a decent bar downstairs. The room we stayed in was huge and the bathroom pretty good.

Overall it's worth probably £70 max, any more than that and I'd stay at the jury's inn up the road. It was a bit tired and the gym a bit of let down. The restaurant looks pretty good, but was empty.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I hope next time you stay you will have time to try our restaurant, Bugis Street, which serves authentic Singaporean and Chinese cuisine.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

David Lane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Good location if you want Broad Street or City shopping. Staff very helpful and the breakfast was a nice buffet style. No free WiFi, bathroom a little tired and on-site parking £12 per 24 hours. Other reviewers mention the poor room décor, floor 3 all seemed the same standard and satisfactory. I did not try the gym facilities

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your reveiw and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Barnstaple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here when going to a concert at the Symphony Hall. The position is fantastic, just a 5 minute walk to the Symphony Hall, and Brindley Place where there are bars and restaurants galore. It's about a 15 minute walk into the shopping area. The hotel is fine - the rooms were clean and tidy, and the reception staff were really friendly, but it is looking a bit tired, with worn carpets and really old fashioned bathroom fittings. However, everything worked and it's not too expensive. Didn't have breakfast as we were going on a canal boat trip, so can't comment on that. All in all a good place to stay if you just want a bed for the night in a convenient position.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Countrycousin

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your trip to Birmingham and hope you enjoyed the canal trip.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Wales
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for a month on business.

The rooms are tired and in need of a little tlc. However it is very convenient for the City and well priced.

Staff are excellent throughout the hotel. I left my iPad charger on the very last day and the house keeper "Yvonne" was excellent in organising its return (for a small fee). She was very polite, helpful and a joy to deal with. Thanks Yvonne.

Food was excellent in the Chinese restaurant on site and the bar menu was a nice alternative.

Wifi is charged on a daily rate but my btopenzone worked in the lobby and up to level 4.

There was parking but I did not use it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear TouristsWales

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear we managed to get your charger back to you and will pass your thanks on to Yvonne who is a real star!

We are working on a rooms and I hope next time you stay you will see a difference.

Hong Kong
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I usually stay at the Hyatt across the street but last night there was a £100 difference so thought I would try the Copthorne as it was late and I was in town for just one night.
There are mixed reviews here so I did not set my expectations high and was pleasantly surprised.

Staff were all excellent. Every member I encountered were friendly, courteous and said hello. Well trained to a higher standard than the hotel appears to be.
The hotel was built in the 80's and looks like it. I can see it has had a facelift but that also looks very dated.
The room was large and surprisingly well appointed. Double and one single bed (although only 2 coffee cups and mean with the sachets). Large bathroom with enormous bath. Proper glasses (I hate plastic glasses).
Old style TV and rather small BUT - I know this hotel has been faced with the prospect of being re-developed for several years so I understand why only basic maintenance only has been done.
I believe the redevelopment is settled now and they plan a major renovation starting next month - it really does need it as it is no longer up there in the 4* grade - more a good 3*.

The most awful curtains in the room I have seen in a long while - even in 1980 I cannot think why they would put blue floral plastic curtains up there.

Breakfast was pretty good with wide selection. Orange juice was not good. Service was excellent.

For the price paid it was good but I would not pay more. At that price I would return if travelling alone.

Room Tip: Hotel is in the middle of a large tarffic island so noise is a problem. There are some quiet rooms w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear JCBR141

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I can confirm our TV's are due to be replaced in August and I hope I can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel is centrally located, you can have a view of the main roads and the roof of the local library as well as the building work going on. These views are essential to distract you from the dump that this hotel is. The carpark, reception, corridors, rooms are all horrible. Whats worse though is the food. I only had the breakfast, but the sausages were the previous days just reheated, the bacon was cooked so badly it was just a mass of 200 rashers floating in its own greasy fluid. Poor quality ingredients cooked badly. Staff were OK. I would avoid at all costs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthew B
Dear Matthew B

Thank you for your review and I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations. I was suprised to read your comments on breakfast as all of our food is cooked fresh everyday and we normally have great feedback. I will be reviewing our breakfast offering daily with my Chef to ensure our standards are not slipping.

Kind regards

David Lane

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Booked a stag weekend, we stay 2 nights. All rooms where booked on the same floor.
Hotel is clean and tidy.
Rooms are dated yes... with the old style tube TV, but its a city hotel... explore the city. Shower head in bath tub too low for an average height guy... but still its clean and nice.

Breakfast is amazing!!! truley 5 star! nothing too difficult for staff at all... and great variety of cooked options on top of buffet avaliable, nothing runs low! Constant attention and service, amazing!!!
Parking a little expensive but right infront of the hotel.
Reception staff curtious and helpful. We even got a takeaway menu to order 4am pizzas and kebabs because the kitchen was closed!

Great place and def a 4 star. There were other hen and stag groups around but the hotels class keeps people quiet, and obviously prices out the louder types....

Located at the head of Broad Street... where all the restaurants and night life is!!! the best location, as its just 1 min away from hustle and bustle... and easy to walk to and back from heavy night outs.

But the only bad point is there is NO AC!.... but a cheap fan in the room.

Room Tip: NO AC... but the wondow opens.... pick the highest floor if you keep the window open to reduce road...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Dhaud S

Many thanks for your review and Im pleased to hear you enjoyed your Stag weekend. I will be sharing your lovely comments about the team with them as they are our biggest asset.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Kind regards