“Expensive for what you got”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Picked this hotel as going to a concert at the nia. Only about 5 minute walk to the nia and about 2 minutes from the mailbox where there is a good choice of restaurants. The hotel catpark was full so the receptionist directed us to one across the road which was quite reasonable at £8.40 for 24hrs and it is locked overnight. The room was small and a bit tired looking although it was clean. Our room was on the 4th floor and was a bit noisy from a motor/generater/fan noise not quite sure what is was and also from the party goers outside. But then, we were in the middle of the city so what do you expect. Good selection at breakfast. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear metts08,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your stay with us here at the Copthorne Birmingham.

I am glad to read that on a whole you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry if your stay was disrupted by the noise from outside.

We do hope that you return should you visit Birmingham again in the future.

Mat Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (1,950)

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel was picked as I was staying for a conference that was being held there. The bathroom was smallish and had no bath towel, just two hand towels. The room was comfortable but the carpet was marked. There were no nibbles to go with the tea / coffee. Only one power point so had to unplug the computer to put the kettle on. The bed was comfortable but only one pillow provided, even using the other pillow still too soft.
On arrival was informed that my reservation was without breakfast, showed them the booking reservation and breakfast was added. Sorry this was a computer fault. The food in the restaurant was Asian, but there is an a la carte menu of English but not offered. The surroundings are very pleasant and handy for all amenities within Birmingham.

This was my experience only.

Room Tip: Was on the first floor above the front entrance. The room was quiet, but might suggest this was a ba...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear LionelP

Many thanks for your feedback. I am pleased to hear you found our beds comfortable, we do get some great feedback about them. We do have extra pillows and towels in our wardrobes and apologies this wasnt clear during your stay.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hotel very soon.

David Lane

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Took up a special weekend offer of a Club Room for £48.00 inc breakfast. The location is spot on, once you have parked your car (an extra £12.00 for 24 hrs) you can walk to the canal and the shopping area. The staff are very friendly and attentive Ben in the bar and Joe at breakfast deserve a mention. Breakfast was the best I have had in a chain hotel for some while, you can request fresh eggs etc cooked to order.. The negative side is the hotel is a little tied, the Club Rooms and not as good as a lot of standard rooms in other hotels, square old TV's standard bathrooms, no bath robes,water, tissues OR AIR CON in the room. Our room was next to a busy road with traffic noise through the night.

Dear Photoscreen,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. We are in the process of redecorating all our bedrooms and this will also include the replacement of the television sets. This has been scheduled to take place in July.

We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Birmingham.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Picked this hotel for a couple of reasons, it was close to the Symphony Hall and was reasonably priced. At £60 a night for a double room only - stopped in the Brittannia before which can be a lot cheaper but also a lot more noisy. The room was fairly spacious and clean and everything worked that should have. The bed was huge and comfortable so a goods night sleep was had by all. The view if you didn't get too close to the window (below was a dual carriageway) was a quite pleasant one of Centenary Square (and the Symphony Hall). Only minor complaint was there were limited channels on the TV but as we were not in the room much it didn't really affect us. Just something we found that it was easier to walk into town through the restaurant as the side of the hotel seemed to attract some starnge people.

Dear ianatwalsall,

Thank you for leaving your feedback after your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Birmingham.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your visit and took full advantage of our central location and proximity to the Symphony Hall.

We do hope to welcome you back whenever you next have another requirement in Birmingham.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed here for two days with work as our HQ is in Brum.
Lovely room with big, comfy bed and i enjoyed my stay. I do wish however, that the bathroom was a little more modern as it felt very dated and not 100% clean. Hotels should have hard-wearing, tidy, clean, unfussy bathrooms.
Staff were all nice, as you'd expect from Brummies and we had no problems with the hotel itself.
What i do want to raise issue with is the Chinese restaurant attached to the hotel.
Food was great and service too but we were shocked to say the least at watching a mouse run through the restaurant!!!
When we alerted staff they seemed to not believe us but hey, their problem.
We weren't complaining when we pointed out but the manager took it upon himself to come over to our table and abruptly launch into an explanation about how they took cleanliness very seriously and they had a regular visit from exterminators... Calm down pal, we were just telling you, you have a mouse in your restaurant and you might want to do something about it rather than justifiying your hygiene operations to me!
Needless to say, it didn't bother us that much. Had it of been a rat then perhaps things may have been different...
I liked the bar area and the view from the tall windows was nice, especially at night despite only looking on to a road and buildings.
I would encourage anyone to stay and i'm sure the mouse incident was a one-off so please don't be put off. I'v not heard anything in the news about anyone dying as a result.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Defn,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your business stay with us in January.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the majority of your visit and were well looked after by our staff. Thank you for taking the time to point out the mouse that you spotted during your stay. I am sorry that it appears the manager on duty did not handle your feedback as well as I would have expected.

We do hope to welcome you back whenever you are next in Birmingham.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed for here for one night and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. It was probably the largest twin room I have stayed in in the UK. it had one double bed and a single bed and lots of space. The bathroom was huge. The bath had high sides and I slipped in the morning. Completely my fault but it still hurt at the time. My advice is to use the rubber non slip mat.
All staff were friendly and helpful. This hotel is very convenient to Birmingham city centre. Only five minutes from the Town Hall and the NIA. 15 minutes walk to New Street station and shops.
We arrived at the beginning of check in and got a room immediately.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear atyclb69,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit despite your slip in the bath. I note we were not made aware of this during your visit but hope you are okay now.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Just spent 2 nights here. Staff are very friendly and helpful ,bed was comfortable and shower was ok but room are ready for a update as look tired and only had 1 plug socket that I could find in the room and when you have a laptop , phones and there kettle to power it all has to wait its turn. There is also a ventilation or heating pump that cuts in at about 6.30 am and rumbles away waking you up. I stayed on the 5th Floor but I see on other people reviews other floor hear it.

Location was good in the heart of Birmingham and if you want to get something to eat you only have to walk 2 mins and you are in a mini shopping area with Nandos , Mac D and other food places and shops.

Parking was ok but you have to get there asap as not many spaces and if you have a big car can be tricky to fit into small bays if you park under the hotel and the £12 did felt step but then again I never stayed in the heart of the city and that could be the norm.

Price and location was the key for why it was book but it was booked by my work but I don't think I would stay again until its had a make over

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Lee G,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne Birmingham.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed our central aspect and the variety of outlets that are on our doorstep.

I noted your negative comments regarding the bedroom. We are in the process of redecorating all of our bedroom stock.

In terms of the car park charge we have researched and priced ourselves to be one of the cheapest parking options for hotels in the city. Of course there is a nearby NCP for those occasions that our spaces are full.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.