“Excellent”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. Absolutely brilliant. Stayed on the 5th floor. Lovely double room, comfy bed, very clean. Staff were the nicest ive ever witnessed at any hotel ive been to around the world. Location was brilliant. broad st and new st very close. I think the people writing bad reviews on this hotel are the typical whinge bags that think everything in life has to be perfect every single day. Defo would stay here again...enjoy :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear niallmag,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and will make sure that your lovely comments regarding the staff and the service they provide are passed onto them all.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Many thanks

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in a large group as it had been pre-booked by work, and there were quite a few things which we found to be lacking. The location is unpleasant to walk to - you seem to approch it over some sort of horrible disused concrete bridge, which had a lot of dodgy looking people hanging around at night.

The hotel itself is odd - I'm not sure I've stayed in such an old fashioned place for well over a decade! The rooms, bathroom etc are very tired, although the shower was decent. Unfortunately there were lots of minor issues, largely to do with the room being so outdated. The antiquated TV gave off a high pitched whistling sound, the keycard lock on the door didn't always work to let you into the room, the window faced over a busy road and sound insulation was poor (bring earplugs!).

I could forgive all this if the hotel was cheap, but for the experience of staying in such a retro room I was charged a whopping £125 room-only! I would recommend at the very least halving this price and including breakfast if you want to attract future custom.

We did, however, have a nice meal in the on-site Chinese restaurant downstairs, as most of us didn't really want to face a wednesday night in Birmingham (the walk from New Street station isn't too pleasant). Although situated in the horrible Paradise Circus area, it is very handy for Centenary Square, Broad Street, BrindleyPlace etc.

1  Thank Dan K
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Dan K,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy everything about your visit which included your approach to the hotel. The bridge in which you mentioned is council property and as such I can not do very much about it's appearance nor the people that use it.

We are in the process of updating our bedrooms and we are awaiting new TV's that should hopefully be with us in the near future. We do have double glazing on our windows to try and counteract the noise that is associated with our city centre location and I am sorry if this did not adequately block out the noise for you.

I am glad that you enjoyed your food in our Singaporean restaurant, Bugis Street Brasserie and that you appreciated our proximity to certain areas of the city centre.

I do hope that you return to the hotel, we very often run specials that get very close to the figure that you suggested in your review and we would be delighted to have you back.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Spent only the one night here and didn't use the restaurant so can't comment on the food but the room was alright. We were on the fourth floor, it was quiet, warm and clean. The staff were pleasant and polite. Overall a nice hotel in a city centre.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear JonLadams,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the experience and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Nothing bad to say about this hotel. I got a club room upgrade. The room was large and clean, bed was comfy. My room was at the back of the hotel so was quiet. Some of my work colleagues were given rooms at the front and they did complain about the traffic noise.

Had dinner and breakfast there. Plenty of choice at breakfast. The restaurant serves oriental food in an evening and was very nice. Did think the drinks prices were a little expensive though, but what do you expect from a city hotel.

Check in and out was quick and painless. Would stay here again as had no complaints.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear JoandWill,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay.

I am glad that on a whole you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to the team and in particular the chefs from our Bugis Street Brasserie.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

In 30 years of travelling throughout the UK and Europe and Ive stayed in some dumps...This is without any doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!

People who have put positive comments. It would help if you confirm your room was either an upgraded club room or recently refurbihed!

The decor was pre 60's…no, actually from another planet, tired and disgustingly dirty, the bathroom was disabled adapted (although Im not disabled) with a sink that just about reached my knee...ideal for urinating in but impossible for washing. But all of that could be tolerated if it wasn’t for the unbelievable road noise. Rooms on the 1st floor are literally feet away from the busiest road in Birmingham. The gaps around the door means that you could hear everyone that walked past throughout the night and finally the adjoining door to the next room… you could have heard a fly fart let alone the blearing TV....almost forgot, the Wi-Fi didn’t work in the room! I’m sure the Copthorn have some rooms that match the picture on their advert or maybe club rooms for extra money, but not the rooms they gave to me through British Airways Holidays!!!
Before anyone suggests I should have complained. Anybody that travels on a regular basis knows that if you’ve had a long journey and arrived late you get to the room and collapse! It’s not until you wake in the middle of the night that room noise hits you!
I gave the hotel one star for the location if you have no car and arrive at the railway station its reasonably close, however take my advice and stay on a bench at the station or in the park and save yourself €85!

When I did complain their response was "well youve paid through BA so theres nothing we can do to refund your money" What a joke! Because of its location Im sure the hotel will always be full...what a pity!

Room Tip: Pay top dollar or check in early and insist on a room that looks like the one in the picture!
1  Thank scoxpatch

Dear scoxpatch,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your stay with us.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. We strive for high standards of cleanliness throughout the hotel of which I am sure you can see is the norm according to most of the other reviewers who post on Tripadvisor.

We also have double glazing on the bedroom windows to try and counteract the fact that we are a city centre hotel and with that the associated noises.

I do hope that you return to the hotel so that we can show you a more enjoyable stay next time around.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I recently had a five night stay at this hotel whilst on a business trip... The service in the hotel was excellent and the staff went out of their to ensure a pleasant stay.. The restaurant and bar food was well presented and tasty .. There was a varied selection of breakfast items which were always kept topped up . The location is ideal for the city centre..

The only slight disappointment was the tiredness of the rooms, they could do with a bit of TLC saying that the rooms were clean, the bed was comfy.....

1  Thank Alderley38
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Alderley38,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback after your recent visit to the Copthorne Hotel Birmingham.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your week long stay with us.

We are in the process of redecorating all of our bedrooms.I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel so that you can see the work that we have carried out.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked this hotel for my friend and I back in September, initially for 1 night to go to the Strictly Come Dancing Tour. A fortnight before we were due to go, we added another night. A few days before going I had an email to say that only one night had been booked. I rang the hotel and they confirmed that 2 nights had been booked, however when we arrived, they informed us that it was only the one night! Not a good start!!
We were taken to our room on the 2nd floor and we were both speechless. There was thick dust on the lightbulbs and around the skirting, cobwebs on the ceiling, stains on the carpet, marks on the walls, the corner light didn't work, the TV didn't work, the shower was like a dripping tap, there were hairs on the matresses and several hairs in the bath. The table had marks on it that had obviously not even been wiped. The room was extremely dated, grubby and certainly didn't warrant anything higher than 2*.
We were taken to another room, which was SLIGHTLY better, however the window didn't shut and the radiator banged all night. We were woken up at 4am by noisy neighbours and called down twice to reception. The noise went on until 6am. We complained in the morning but were told it's not the hotel's fault that we had noisy neighbours. We went shopping for the day and when we came back we were offered a free main meal in the restaurant but we hadn't long eaten and said that we were unlikely to use the restaurant. The radiator continued to bank that night also.
In the morning while we were waiting to be seated for breakfast, we noticed the waiter taking eggs and muffins to a table and it looked delicious. I decided to have the eggs and muffin but when it came it was on a saucer (not even a side plate) and consisted of one egg and a piece of toast that had been cut into a circle (it had only been toasted on one side). It was truly pathetic. When I mentioned this to the waiter, he said that the kitchen staff didn't understand what I meant as they didn't speak English! My friend also had the eggs and 'muffin' but was brought the same, however her egg wasn't cooked. She decided to have a sweet muffin fromt he stand and when she went to take a bite, there was a big bite already taken from it!! This was the icing on the cake (excuse the pun). Needless to say, we spoke to reception who were fairly sympathetic however the Duty Manager was anything but.
When we arrived home, the Manager called and was extremely helpful however this couldn't detract from a very unpleasant stay at the hotel.
We were told that they are undergoing refurbishment, however, this seems to have been going on for some several months, and we certainly didn't see or hear any refurbishment going on. The hotel should be closed down for a few months for this to be carried out and should not be allowed to continue to trade and keep ripping off customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floors as these seem to be a little better.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Lisa H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your stay and also for taking the time to talk to me on the telephone shortly after your visit.

As we discussed all the points on the telephone I will not go into them via this site again. However, as we discussed I believe that if you read the latest reviews for the hotel then you can see that your stay was definitley not the usual high standards that we strive for and achieve.

Thank you again for your comments.