“The bed was wonderful, so comfortable.”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #99 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Northampton, United Kingdom
“The bed was wonderful, so comfortable.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and found the communal areas spick and span.
My room was on the 4th floor and although immaculate the room was very dull and dreary. The furniture did not have a 'finished' look. Very tired and worn. The bathroom also had worn look from the perished grouting around the washbasin. The bathtowels were too high for me to reach!!
The bed was wonderful, so comfortable and lovely pillows. I slept really well. Noise was a problem on Friday night with a lot of rowdiness in the early hours. My window was closed but somehow the noise filtered through.
I had plenty of sockets for hair dryers, straighteners, kettles etc. It was lovely to be able to have a kettle that had a decent length of cable and able to pour hot water without risking permanent scarring. Disappointed that there were no biscuits provided with the tea/coffee tray.
Breakfast was the usual buffet affair as in most hotels. The first day I poured out some orange juice to find it was orange squash. I mentioned this to the server who offered an alternative juice and apologies. Scrambled egg on the first day was lovely but on the second day I found it to be floating in water which was not at all appetising.
Apart from my previous comments I found the staff to be efficient , helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Swansea
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I take the points made by other users re decor etc. however as an experience goes ,,I personally enjoyed myself.

The food in the Chinese restaurant was the best I have tasted for years . The Restaurant Manager was exceptionally accomodating.

The General Hotel Manager is a credit to the hotel group . We had some noise issues with other guests ( which were nothing to do with the hotel ) He resolved it within 10 minutes of being contacted.

Comfy beds . Clean . For the price and location , you cannot argue with it.

A good nights sleep

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Nick M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us at the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and sampled the delights in our Bugis Street Brasserie.

I was sorry to read that you were disturbed by some noisy people but glad to read that we resolved the issue for you.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dudley
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel a few times now and nothing ever changes. We had a great comfy stay. From arrival Phil was pleasant, Friendly & helpful, Just what you expect for a 4 star hotel. We were allocated room 211 & my friends room 222. The rooms were very clean, when i opened the kettle to fill it up it was sparkling !! the cleanest kettle i have seen in any hotel. The bed was very comfortable and there was spare pillows in the wardrobe. The rooms have an adjustable radiator and also windows that you can open. The shower was very powerful, but if you dont like powerful showers don't turn it up as much !
The Bar was nice & clean but did lack staff at a few points resulting in a little wait to be served, on this stay we only had drinks so can't comment on the food again, But they do have Bugis street for lunch and dinner & also a Bar menu that runs all day (a Burger and Chips is £12.95 & a pint of Gaymers is £4.00).
Check out was simple and quick to say we left at 12pm and again the staff member was friendly. If you dont want to take your bags whilst you do something after check-out, then reception will look after your bags.
Thanks again for another enjoyable stay, we will be back soon !!

Room Tip: 211 is at the end of the corridor and only has 1 neighbour !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gavp1990,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you are a regular visitor with us and we continue to meet your expectations and that you enjoy your stays.

I will make sure that the staff are passed on your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for two nights as part of a corporate booking. Relatively straightforward to find on foot from the station, although some of my colleagues had issues. Public areas were in good order. However my room on the 4th floor was definitely tired - cracks in the plaster, scratched furniture and perished grouting in the bathroom. Saying that it was all spotlessly clean. I managed to work out how to turn off the radiator but the room was still baking. The only usable socket was behind a unit which housed the TV and kettle tray. After grovelling on the floor to charge my phone and struggling to see a mirror when I was drying my hair, I asked for an extension lead which appeared within 5 minutes. Breakfast and room service were fine, as you would expect. The staff were very friendly and helpful, although apparently they don't give credit card receipts which I find a bit odd. Overall a bit average.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Devonvillamaid,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review after your recent stay with us.

We are in the process of redecorating our entire bedroom stock. I am glad to read that you found the cleanliness level of your room more than up to standard.

I do hope that you return to the hotel so that we can show you the decoration that we have undertaken.

Many thanks

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked into the Copthorne for the night as me, my partner and our 2 friends had tickets to see Rocky Horror.
Check in was simple, the staff are very friendly and very helpful. Phil on the front desk was very efficient.
As my partner works for the Millennium Copthorne Group we've stayed in a few of the hotels. Copthorne Birmingham, Copthorne Tara and Millennium Mayfair and I have to say that I think Copthorne Birmingham is the friendliest and it certainly has the most comfortable beds!!! We've stopped here a number of times now and every time I've wanted to take the bed home with me.
Looking forward to the next time, no doubt that it won't be too long before we're here again!

• Stayed February 2013
MatWilliams_GM, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Jonnyc1983,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments after your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you are a regular user of both the hotel and M&C Hotels as a group.

We replaced the beds in 2012 and we receive many positive comments regarding them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Hotel is location in Paradise Circus and has numerable landmark places in walking distance for eg: New Street Station, Bull Ring, Birmingham City Council, Library, City Symphony Hall, Broadway Street etc.
This hotel can be equally good for a business traveller as well as someone on Holiday. The place has charm, energy and comfort.
I stayed here for 3 nights and must say not only the rooms were well kept and comfortable even the meals served and well laid breakfast was a delight.
I would recommend the place for all type of travellers.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor and overlooking broadway street for a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear TogetherFarzi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments after your visit with us at the Copthorne Birmingham.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our city centre location.

We hope to welcome you back whenever you are next in Birmingham.

Many thanks

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

There is no getting away from the fact that this hotel is old. As a result, a few of the fixtures and fittings look a bit dated. However, I was fortunate enough to stay in one of the recently refurbished rooms and the face lift makes a big difference. The room was clean and comfortable and the secondary glazing keeps out the traffic noises.

Staff were welcoming and professional and dealt with minor issues effectively. The hairdryer was missing from my room and a replacement brought promptly. A hideous mix up that resulted in my being brought a vegetarian bean burger instead of a beef burger in the bar was followed by an apology and an offer of a free drink!

Bar food was good value, well presented and tasty. Breakfast was varied, plentiful and good quality.

This hotel is brilliantly located for the city centre. Walking distance from Birmingham New Street station (although a cab is advised if you've got cases as it's a good ten to fifteen minutes) and just a couple of minutes walk to the ICC and Symphony Hall.

I think that the Copthorne Birmingham team are doing a good job with what they've got available to them and I would stay here again if I were in the area.

Room Tip: My refurbed room was number 523.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sorellina,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us at the Copthorne Birmingham.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and our service. My apologies for the Vegetarian Burger mix up though.

I will ensure that the staff are passed on your comments regarding the work that they are doing.