“Good but old fashioned”

Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
ENGLAND
“Good but old fashioned”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I don't know why I don't like this hotel more. I have stayed here several times but it's just not one of my favourites. It's good value but a little old fashioned. It's incredibly handy for the city centre and both the commercial areas around Colmore Row and Brindley Place.

The food is excellent as is room service and breakfast.

I have had problems with the internet in the hotel but that may be down to the room rather than generic.

There is a chargeable car park right under the hotel and so far there's always been space.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
MerryHillManager, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Dagog,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stays with us here at the Copthorne hotel.

I am pleased that, in the main, you have enjoyed your visits to the hotel.

If I can do anything to enhance your future stays with us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Ben Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Yorkshire
Reviewed June 9, 2011

The Copthorne is very welcoming and efficient at the front desk. That’s it really – the rest is old, tired, shabby and not really worthy of 4 stars. Plan your journey in the lifts well ahead – a bloke with a red flag walks ahead of them, slowly. Breakfast comprehensive and tasteless. All explains the knock down rates really. Convenient for Brindley Place…but so are better hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Copthorne hotel.

I would be most keen to get your feedback directly in regards to the hotel as there are aspects of your stay in your review which I would hope we can improve upon.

Should you wish to discuss this, please do email me and I would be happy to make contact with you.

Ben Thomas

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My partner and I booked in here for 1 night. The receptionist took my card details at checkin and was quite pleasant, However the room was very poor and had stains all over the place, there was also alot of grouting missing and some broken tiles in the bathroom, along with what seemed like punch marks and cracks in the bathroom door. After leaving the hotel the following morning I found a charge of £65.99 on my account, this was later explained as a 'holding charge' but we were not told at any time that this money was to be taken and left me in an unarranged overdraft!
I emailed my photos to Manager Ben -- and he agreed our room was 'unacceptable' and asked us to come back and spend a night in a 'newley decorated 'room free of charge and that he would make sure we were well looked after, however upon arrival our room was not ready so we were moved into another. This room was also very dissapointing with a huge mark/stain on the ceiling in the bathroom, the mini fridge was leaking over the carpet and the bedding had holes worn through it. Most disturbing of all however was as the TV only had one channel working we asked for it to be looked at while we went out for a couple of hours...when we got back we found our room door left open! Luckily nothing had been stolen but we couldn't believe this had happened...oh and the TV still didn't work.
All in all the hotel staff were very helpful and the lobby was clean but I would never go back as the rooms are very small and not too clean, also the problems we have suffered in my opnion do not reflect the hotels 4 star rating.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Mr Webb,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel following your recent stay.
I can assure you that we always have the best intentions of our customers in mind. I did indeed have you allocated in to a newly redecorated bedroom, unfortunately club rooms can depart up until 4pm and the room was not available.

All that said I concede that all of our rooms should reflect our standing and apologise that again this did not. I believed that we were generous in our intent to retain your good faith as a customer and that we would be able to do so.

My management team assure me that the television signal in your room was repaired immediately and I am only sorry if this is not the case.

There are a number of services which decide upon our hotels star rating and these are not limited to style of décor but also include the level of hospitality and service provided, ultimately the cornerstone of our business and areas where I am pleased we met your expectations.

If you would like to discuss any further areas with me, please do not hesitate to contact me again by email.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Stayed one-night on a hotel-crawling B'ham holiday. We booked through hotwire as a 'secret' hotel. It so happens that hotwire bookings are room-only (even though the hotel had an on-going offer for free breakfast). We were asked to pay 27 GBP for breakfast for 2. I took this up with the on-duty manager and he was kind enough to waive the fee.

The breakfast was not a full buffet. All hot dishes were plated from the kitchen while the breads and fruits were buffet served. We didn't really make use of the restaurant for other meals because there are loads of places to eat within walking distance from the hotel.

The room was very big and the decor was traditional rather than contemporary. The beds are very comfortable and there were extra pillows available in the room. Keeping the windows shut, keeps out all the noise from the road but we had to open it at night for some cool air because there was no air conditioning.

Quick check-in and check out.
Overall, it was a pleasant experience for us.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pisceanvirus
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Dear Pisceanvirus,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am glad that your stay with us was pleasant.

I can confirm the late deal on ‘Hotwire’ does not include breakfast – the free breakfast offer is available on our website and a number of our third party associates.

I hope we can welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Heather Hoskins,
Lakenheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed just one night here and were very pleased. We paid £66 for a double room with breakfast, which I thought was excellent value.

The staff were friendly, the hotel clean and the breakfast was delicious. I would definately go back there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusieSeptember
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear SusieSept,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am very pleased to read that we will be welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

We will remain to be competitively priced in the area. I will pass on your review to our staff, who we regularly feedback customers comments to.

Best Wishes,

Heather Hoskins
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2011

As we only paid £40 fir double via hot wire the review isn't as bad as it would have been if we'd paid more. Still this very tired hotel wasn't worth it- pay more & stay elsewhere. We were kept awake by fellow guests banging & shouting until 5am followed by housekeeping banging around as they cleaned. Walls are paper thin, bed uncomfortable on wheels so moved as we slept. Decor shabby& dated but clean. Staff fine but the dead pigeon at front wasn't removed in 3 days we were there, also the mouse traps in bar were worrying. It's fairly central but located at the back of a shopping centre in the middle if a roundabout. Expected much more from the copthorne brand- wont be staying again.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank HonestH
Dear HonestH,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry that you found several areas within not to your satisfaction. I note that you found our staff fine and our rooms clean. We do pride ourselves on our customer service and cleanliness.

Our environmental management is taken very seriously, all city centre properties keep up to date with best practises and take preventative measures to ensure guests stays are safe and unimpaired.

I apologise that on this occasion you apparently found an external hindrance to this. Our grounds as well as our internal public areas are checked at least 3 times a day and the fault you described should not have been in situ.

If you get a moment I would appreciate if you could call or e-mail me to discuss further.

Heather Hoskins,
Heather.hoskins@millenniumhotels.co.uk
+44 121 200 2727
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2011

stayed here for 2 nights and can not complain! The hotel is ideally located within short walking distance to all bars and shops. The room was very spacious and get a good deal on the room which also included a free buffet breakfast. have stayed at this hotel a few years back and wasn't overly impressed however it is clear that the managment of this hotel has improved greatly and I will definately stop here again whenever I visit birmingham.

Room Tip: parking is 12 pounds per day which isnt bad