“Good central location”

Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Ranked #7 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed here for two nights to visit the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market, for which this hotel is excellently located. It is also close to the Museum and Art Gallery (see the Staffordshire hoard!) and the Library, which is a very ugly modern building but offers good views from its upper floors and terraces.

We had an excellent room on the 15th Floor which gave us good views, particularly of the Canal Basin below. The room was a good size and the bed comfortable. Staff were very helpful and the pool and spa (on Floor T) were restorative after a day tramping the streets and markets.

Everywhere in Birmingham seems to offer free WiFi, so it is difficult to understand Hyatt's policy of charging £9.95 for 24 hours. It is also unnecessary for an iPhone, since 3G is available throughout the building.

We chose to eat breakfast outside the hotel, rather than pay £17.75 pp, particularly since there are excellent alternatives in local cafes.

Room Tip: The higher the better for the view. There are 26 floors.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dominik S, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments from our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist you with. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the upcoming future.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just had a one night break at the Hyatt in Birmingham. I wish it had been more!
I could not fault it. 6 of us had three rooms. Spotless and well equipped.
Front desk were very helpful. When I asked if there was a better deal in relation to breakfast we were offered vouchers which gave us the buffet for £10 each and my little girl ate for free. It was a great breakfast.
Parking good too, we got well over the 24 hours for £13.50.
The spa facilities were super nice and super clean.
Will we stay here again. Yes we will!!!

Room Tip: Ask about the vouchers for breakfast.

Dear ambarpete,

Reviewed December 1, 2013

The bed & pillows were so comfy. The room was clean and a good size with a mini bar fridge. The staff were all excellent. Very handy location. The shower controls were on the bath taps making it difficult to turn the shower on/off without getting your hair wet. Would recommend. We had free 24hr wifi access but not sure if this is the norm.

1  Thank littlesisterWales

Dear littlesisterwales,

I am pleased to hear that the staff provided such excellent customer service. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words with the team. We have very dedicated members of staff here who will be pleased to know their efforts have been recognized.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

The room was ok with modern decor and a good view and the location is great, it was also good in that it was nice and quiet and you couldn't hear other guests, but there were a couple things I would have expected from a 4 star hotel in this price range. I would have expected WIFI to be free, I'm fairly certain this is standard in most hotels these days. Also there is no hotel car park, there is a public car park but this charges £13.50 per 24 hours - I would have though the hotel could have arranged some discount for hotel guests. The rate we paid (£129 per night) did not include breakfast - if we wanted the breakfast buffet this would have cost us £17.50 which I think is quite steep! All these extras add up, and I'm glad we did not pay a higher room rate as it would not have been worth it. Also the shower was very annoying, difficult to get at a comfortable temp and you had to reach in-front of the shower head when switching it on and off which resulted in my hair getting drenched. All in all I possibly would stay again but only with the discounted rate.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JessHLondon

Dear JessHLondon,

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Lovely room overlooking canal area. ideal location for visiting the German Christmas market & going to the theatre. Staff all very polite & friendly. Drinks @ the bar not too expensive for hotel of this quality. Pillows were extremely comfortable!!! Cannot fault this hotel at all

Room Tip: higher floor rooms have great views of canal/city
1  Thank WelshAnnie

Dear WelshAnnie,

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We booked the Hyatt because we had stayed there before and enjoyed everything about it. As usual the standard of the rooms and politeness of the staff were excellent. This time we returned with more members of our family too.

There were two things which marred our stay. The first, the lack of a private changing area in the female changing rooms for the pool. We had not had time to utilize this facility on our previous visit. If we had, we might not have returned. I ended up changing in the toilet. I dislike intensely having to disrobe in with the young things who are very happy displaying their wares. My confidence regarding my body image was waned over the years and I have never been happy baring my all. Nor was I the only one, a number of women commented on the lack and a couple were disgusted. Especially since there seemed to be an unlocked empty room being used as a huge storage room which would have suited the purpose wonderfully with the erection of a few curtain rails.
The second thing which disgruntled us was the issue around 'children' in the bar area. We had visited the bar earlier in the evening with our 14+yr old son and sat well away from the bar itself as we are well aware of the laws on alcohol. Our son did not have a drink at all, not even a soft drink. We had observed a piece of paper taped to the inner door of the bar (from the hotel) stating no children, but no age was stipulated, assumed this was regarding younger children we entered.
No member of staff said a word about our teenage son sitting there playing his tablet, despite them moving around our table several times.
Later that evening, after we'd been out for a meal we returned for a nightnap before bed. Again our son sat with us and this time within moments we were pounced upon by a member of staff (a manager I believe) who told us our son could not sit in the room with us.
In my view we were not breaking any alcohol laws. If this hotel has taken it upon themselves to instigate their own laws around children sitting in the bar room this information should be given to guests with children on arrival and be clearly labelled with the age in prominent areas - on both sets of doors (external and internal).
Considering the amount of families we observed staying with children at the hotel, I this is an issue that 'head office' ought to review

Dear Carol,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are best able to direct our efforts. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the changing rooms in our leisure area and the are restriction in our bar.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Very convenient location (walking distance from both the business district - Brindley Place) as well as the city centre and the new street trainstation. The rooms offers excellent views either over the canal network or over the city (the view opens up to the new library building)
Very helpful staff. The bar is excellent if you want t try out cocktails and just spend an evening after work.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business