“Unfailingly helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Unfailingly helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was attending a conference at Birmingham University's Edgbaston campus and stayed here for one night. The arrival welcome was very friendly and succinct. I ran into a member of staff as I exited the lift and he helpfully directed me to my room. The front desk dealt very politely with the fact that I pitched up in reception in my PJs having locked myself out of my room when putting my dinner tray outside! Apparently, this is not an uncommon occurrence - the fire doors have a hefty swing on them. My room was lovely and spacious and, unlike many hotel chains, Marriott had not seen fit to stuff it full of lots and lots of furniture. As a business traveller I have four regular gripes. The first is that the desk and chair provided for the use of of the business person hoping to catch up on emails are usually not fit for purpose. Most frequently, as here, the office chair won't rise to the level that makes typing comfortable. That's where the usual surfeit of pillow/cushion supply comes in useful. My second is my immense frustration that what is clearly intended as a business hotel then charges guests extra for wifi especially, as here, when the public wifi is free to those on the ground floor. My third gripe is the lack of sockets beside the bedside for those, like me, who have my alarm set on my iPhone and who want to listen to a bit of music before I go to bed whilst, at the same time, leaving my phone to charge overnight. This Marriott room had no bedside sockets. My final gripe is the over filling of a room with furniture, happily not a problem here. Breakfast was good and the waiters we're very friendly. Checkout and taxi ordering was equally very friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Beware of the very robust door closures, especially when placing your tray outside your room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Hill_Resident_SE14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We recently stayed at the Marriott for a pre-Christmas shopping weekend. The location is great - just a 10 minute walk away from the centre. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating and we were allowed to check in early, which was useful. Our room was very pleasant and comfortable and the breakfast was very good indeed. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

In many ways one can reject an America Chain Hotel and select a smaller boutique hotel, but,as an English person now living in North American,I have come to expect a certain standard and in many parts of the world many small hotels do not live up to my expectations. I stayed for eight nights at the Marriott Hotel, Five Ways, Birmingham, England . This hotel is an exemplary hotel that i will always return. The Front of Hotel staff are wonderful and helped us in every conceivable way David and Chloe on the front desk went out of their way to solve several difficulties that were made by the central Marriott reservation system. The rooms are large and clean, although I would advise not getting a room with an adjoining door as some neighbours can get loud . We changed our room and the staff moved us while we were out. The breakfast is a wonderful spread and offers a large variety of different food hot and cold. The evening meal was terribly slow, but meal was fine.

Everywhere I travel I find poor Internet connection, I get dial up, I have to change passwords ever day- not here high speed internet is available free at no charge.

If either on business or pleasure in Central Birmingham this is the only hotel to stay at.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Michael M
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Definitely the second best hotel to stay at Birmingham after the Hyatt. I stayed there in a single room which was a perfect compact hotel room with all amenities. I was there during the ICC Champions Trophy cricket tournament & lot of ICC dignitaries were staying at the place. The hotel is well maintained & the service was top notch. The buffet breakfast if taken at 1030am can well serve as an brunch & can keep you away from food till late afternoon. The health club was at the lower floor & I had a nice time at the jacuzzi. Location wise its good, as you can walk to nearby super markets, restaurants & walk around for a night life tour of the city. The parking lot is small though. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SuvodipMoitra
cheshire, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Wife and I turned up on a Saturday afternoon in December. The car park was chaos and we couldn't get in- then Des the concierge appeared and took control. There is clearly a lack of parking if leisure suite guests and hotel functions are on.

At check-in our room wasn't ready but after a drink in the bar they had delivered cases to our room and the room itself was good (a superior/deluxe) with good furninshings, very airy and light and clean. The staff had thoughfully moved us up a couple of floors to avoid the noise from the function suites.

Without exception the staff were helpful, professional and efficient. they left us happilly reading newspapers on Sunday night in the bar, serving us drinkds when we wanted but not moving us on. The breakfast was fine but space limited when the hotel is full so be prepared for them to run out of food.

The other negative is location- it is surrounded by empty office blocks, on the wrong side of underpasses and you ahve to walk through the rowdiest part of town at night to get to or from the city centre. The sights were entertaining but easily could have been intimidating

So great staff and ok facilities let down by location and struggles to cope when rooms are full.

Room Tip: Upper floor- superior/de luxe for room and light
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jim P
New England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Just this year alone I've stayed at the Birmingham Marriott 4 times. My last trip lasted for over a month and staying here made a world of difference for that extended amount of time. Not sure when the hotel was last updated, but it didn't feel old or jaded in comparison to some of the other Marriotts I've stayed at. The rooms/bathrooms at this hotel are larger than the average UK hotel, which is a huge plus. My king, one-bedroom came with a refrigerator, bathrobe, slippers and a daily supply of bottled water. Having a fridge meant I could stock up on drinks and snacks from the local Tesco's and Morrison's (grocery stores) round the corner without having to eat hotel food all the time, because that got old really quick.

The hotel is located at the end of Broad Street in downtown Birmingham and is within a half mile walking distance to a ton of great restaurants and pubs.The New Street/Bullring shopping area is a little farther away but still walkable. A taxi ride will run you about £5. For nice, upscale dining in the main downtown area you can't go wrong with San Carlo (Italian) or Fumo (Fusion). If you're in Brindley Place try Bank, Piccolino or Cielo. And if you're looking for basic pub food, try O'Neill's on Broad St. For a trendy atmosphere by the canal you can't go wrong with Pitcher & Piano or Slug & Lettuce. I would also recommend a traditional, hole-in-the-wall pub called the Tap & Spile on Gas St. (off Broad).

The fitness center is the only downside to this hotel. Membership is offered to non-hotel guests so the facility (which is small to begin with) is always crowded. The pool and steam room is an acceptable size but is frequented by lots of members, especially in the evenings. And the gym equipment is outdated and very basic. If you want a good workout, then I would recommend Pure Gym right down the street and pay the £12.99 for a 3 day pass.

Lastly, the staff here at the hotel is absolutely the best. They will go out of their way to provide you with great service during your stay. Everyone is really friendly and they do a good job of greeting you by name, which is a nice touch. Highly recommend and more than likely will be back for another visit soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank sway76
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here recently for a get together with my sister. Every aspect of the hotel was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely with a good variety and superb service. The room we had was quiet, spacious, warm and well equipped.
We also enjoyed using the lovely leisure facilities.
Above all the staff were amazing. Nothing was too much trouble. They were polite and courteous, going the extra mile to look after us with smiles on their faces.
The hotel is about a half hour walk from the city centre but taxis were cheap and easy to get.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family