“Trip to Birmingham”

Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Ranked #23 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Enjoyed my one night stay at the Marriott in Birmingham .The room was clean and modern,staf were helpful aswell as the location of the hotel its self is great.Will stay again when we visit Birmingham!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed February 25, 2012

I visited the Marriot as an early valentines for my husband and was extremely disappointed at the service we received in both the restaurant and the hotel itself. After booking over the phone and exchanging my credit card details when I arrived I was made to pay first and leave an extra £50 to cover the 'potential' costs of damages to the room which was not stated on the phone. I found it extremely odd that I was made to pay upfront because I have been to other prestigious hotels where I pay on checking out as the card details are held from placing the initial booking. The restaurant delivered very poor service, my husband ordered steak which he requested to be well done he had to send it back twice as each time it came out with blood pouring from the middle and in the end he didn't complete it as it was inedible. I ordered lemon sole which was not filleted which I found highly unusual as the amount of bones could have caused me to choke again having had this dish at other establishments I found it strange that to have it filleted I would have to request this from the chef. The bathroom had no heating and as a result i had to purchase a blow heater from Tesco across the road, due to the extreme cold. After writing to the Marriott I was thanked for raising the concerns and that they would strive to do better in the future which did not take into account my distress and disappointment. For the prices they charge they should provide excellent customer service to all customers and this was not the case for my visit due to the occasion I was disheartened as was my husband and it really ruined the experience and the memories of valentines for this year.

3  Thank Val C
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed at the Mariot Birmingham for 2 nights weekend break. Checkin had an issue with accepting my Amex card with their Chip and Pin terminal due to a fault on the terminal, but it was sorted swiftly. Reception staff were very good, freindly and informative, one in particluar is named Piotr, very helpful always knows everyones name. All the staff are great, food was good and so was the gym, spa and pool. We got upgraded to an exec room and it was superb. One other start of the hotel is a gentleman called Des - a real credit to Marriot, and always smiling and always working!

Great hotel, not quite in the city centre, but would chose to stay there again.

Well done Marriot Hotel Birmingham - very happy customer.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor with nice view!
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Visited this marriott this time with a bunch of friends on a lads jolly weekend away in Birmingham.

The location is good as you are at the top of broad street but its still a little walk to the action. Since it was minus something the footpath to the Marriott (nothing to do with Marriott - more like Birminghan council was treacherous)

Anyway upon checking in there was a problem with reception as they seemed to have got mixed up on our names for checking in. This was soon sorted when my other friends came along but in the meantime we could not check in. However the bar was inviting and we spent this time checking out the drinks. These were expensive, in fact very expensive but saying that it was a lovely area to sit and talk with friends without the loud music you get in other bars.

The room when finally got there was of a good size. Our room through seemed to be suited more to a disabled person with a wheelchair as the bathroom and toilet would accomodate this. No problem through as more room is better.

The partion between the rooms was not great as we could hear someone in the next room banging and making strange noises. A few bangs back through and it stopped.

There was a party on downstairs as we left the lobby but with the door closed there was no noise from there so it was very well sound proofed.

All in all a standard marriott. Reception staff were good and a place I would return to.

Oh the price was fab for Birmingham as it worked out £80 for a twin room which can not be bad for a marriott in a big city close to the action.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank chocolate-eater666
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Just a quick review to say that our two night stay at The Marriott, Birmingham was warm, friendly, comfortable and just what we were looking for. The price was a bonus given a 20% winter discount which tended to swing it slightly but was not reflected by 20% less overall rating at all. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by a larger than life character Consierge named Des who could not do enough to help. Every Hotel should have a 'Des' in my opinion. We had a heavy snowfall that weekend and like fools had booked a restaurant on the Saturday evening. Des stood outside in the snow blizzard to hail down the taxi.....what a star. Because of the weather we did consider eating at the hotel restaurant but to be honest, although it was clean and functional looking it didn't inspire as the best place to eat out on a Saturday evening given the massive choice elsewhere on your doorstep. That is the only real negative feedback I would give the hotel.

1  Thank birtie64
Reviewed February 18, 2012

The double bedroom we had on the 5th floor was very pleasant, well equipped and clean. The temperature control in the shower was broken and just went round and round. Luckily it was acceptable as it was. That, however, is the height of it. The dinner was tolerable but certainly unmemorable but the breakfast was the worst that either of us can remember and I spend an average of 2 nights a week in hotels. I literally was unable to get a knife into the fried eggs. breakfast should be the easy meal for a hotel and one at this price should be embarassed to serve such food. I told the waitress that the food was inedible and she just removed it without comment or any indication of surprise. We will definitely not stay here again, Birmingham is too well served with better hotels at this price.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We had no problems with this hotel at all - the room was nice and clean, the staff were friendly and the location was very central for the Broad Street side of Birmingham.

It just wasn't very special.... pool was in the basement and was average, there was no sauna, we had real difficulty getting booked in for treatments and then they were running 30 minutes late so the appointments were a little shorter than they should have been. The car park is very small so get in there early or they run out of space (although the rates are fairly competitive).

If you aren't planning on spending any time in the hotel then it is as good a choice as any in the City centre but there are more modern places with better facilities if that is what you are looking for.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple