“Good Location”

Ranked #82 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
middlesbrough
“Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

As others have said its very handy for Broad Street with the canals and bars and restaurants and we got the bus outside the hotel into town for the Xmas market and shops.The hotel is an old building but has a large carpark.There are lots of corridors to get to some rooms but our room was big with loads of storage and large bathroom. We were on a deal with dinner and wine on first night and we were told on check-in that the restaurant was being used for a Murder & Mystery night but we would be dining in another room. It turned out to be the back room of the hotel pub not even the hotel bar which is a nice room it was a pub with tableclothes and xmas crackers on the table and it was a big let down although it has to be said Darren who was looking after us was very apologetic and very pleasant but it was very disappointing. Food was very average, but maybe surroundings didnt help, as was breakfast next morning the fruit salad consisted of basically red and green apple -very strange. We went into Broad Street to eat the second night.Staff all very pleasant. Just definately not the dining experince we expected.

Room Tip: Front rooms could be very noisy from busy road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and for your kind comments on our rooms. I am sorry however you did not get the opportunity to dine in the restaurant as we were fully booked with Christmas Parties. I will also investigate your comments with the Breakfast team as that is an are we constantly receive high praise. I hope to see you again in the future and should you dine with us I am sure you will be more than please you did

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Northants
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We booked the German Market deal with taxi drop off to the market, mince pie and drink on arrival and a three course meal in the restaurant. We were emailed just before our trip stating that we could cancel within 24hrs of arrival. It became clear when we arrived that they had a wedding party and we appeared to be "in the way". No offer of mince pie and drink? had to ask in the evning. Rooms a little tired and dated. Taxi OK. Three course meal in the bar although very nice should have been in the restaurant. This was a special trip for my wife`s birthday and although we did not not complain we will certainly not be using this facility again even though we regularly stay over in Birmingham. At check out we were charged for someone`s drinks and the breakdown was not clear. The Hotel struggled to cater for Guests as well as the wedding party. We regularly use this chain of hotels and this is by far the lowest I would rate.

Steve (Northants) :( :( :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing and for your kind comments in regards to the quality of your meal. am sorry however you were unable to dine in the main dining area as there was a wedding. I appreciate this must have been a disappointment and for that I am sorry, although the bar area is very comfortable. The email you speak of is an automatic confirmation of your booking.

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Warrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

hotel is like a tardis, small from the front but huge inside with all bedrooms up and down stairs, through corridors like a rabbit warren. room was big and bathroom good size, but urggh hairs all over the place, on the carpet, in the sink, on the bedside tables, as i say everywhere! young lady who worked on the bar was really pleasant, the rest of the staff should learn from her! impolite, short and uncaring to individual needs. will i return? only if i had nowhere else

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and I can only apologise for the upset. I will be speaking to the company who looks after the housekeeping needs of the hotel, as there has obviously been a breach in their checking procedures. We are generally very happy with them but on this occasion something has gone wrong. Again please accept my appologies
Mildenhall, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Good points first. A spacious and quiet room. Ample car parking. Reasonable quality of food. However our visit was spoiled by a lack of organisation. Our room was cold and when we enquired about the heating were told it was not coming on until 5.00 p.m. This in mid November is totally unreasonable and is the first time we have experienced this. Even at the budget hotel end heating is available. We booked a twin room but got a double. This was sorted out and we moved to a twin room. There was a wedding going on but, despite asking if there was any other route by which we could bring our cases in, we eventually had no alternative but to bring them through the wedding reception. There was confusion over our dinner reservation. The waitress was rude and ill informed. This was sorted out after a few minutes by a manager.

Overall the hotel was shabby and the staff disorganised. We were surprised Basil Fawlty didn't make an appearance. Needless to say we will not be coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rather a trek from car park to hotel accommodation so try and book as close as you can to reception.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

It is cheap and cheerful (decent price found on laterooms website). Better than the generic hotels you find all over the place. The room was well sized and very clean, but a bit of a trek from reception! The staff friendly and their beer not a bad price for a hotel. Food seemed expensive which put us off eating in the restaurant. The hotel is in walking distance to town down one straight road (took me 30 minutes to get to start of New Street shopping area) but food places, pubs and bars are only 10-15 walk away. If you want a bed for the night near birmingham centre then this one is good.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments, I will pass them on to the team. Look forward to seeing you again soon
Gateshead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I arrived a little after 9pm following a long drive and all I wanted was a hot drink, a biscuit, a bath and a warm room...........well one out of four i better than nothing.
The receptionist was pleasant and I was informed I was going to a nice quiet room..........arrived to find the room was freezing. The heating apparantly only comes on when you check in, now I can understand the need to save money but its not warm enough now to do this. As for quiet - hmmmmm in relation to what ....the road noise was awful and went on all night.
Now to the room itself.........the furniture is dated and in need of an update, the bed runner was obviously very old and the long hair (not mine) was an additional surprise. Still I thought - give it a chance, put the kettle on. Off to the bathroom to fill the kettle I went.
The bathroom...........to say I was unimpressed by the assorted hair which I found in there, in the bath, on the floor, in the sink and on the wall....bleugh.
While waiting for the kettle to boil and the room, to warm up I headed to the bar to buy a packet of crisps - two choices only and at £1 a packet it was a bit on the pricey side.
I spoke to reception and informed them of the issues with heating and hygiene .........a visit to the room by the night manager resulted in being informed that the heating and hot water ran from the same boiler and maybe this could have been the cause for the lack of heat, he also said the radiators may need bleeding and offered additonal blankets. Personally I think part of the problem could be the poorly fitting windows too.

I was also told that cleaning is subcontracted out ......if you are paying for a standard of cleaning then do spot checks, the level of dust in some areas meant I could have written you a message!

At this point I decided to check the bed, although clean the duvet cover had several holes in it and the quilt was thin.

After an unsettled and wakeful night it was time for breakfast.
It would be nice to be given a pot of coffee as opposed to being given a single cup.......I asked for hot water and had to ask again as the lone waitress was running around trying to look after all the guests. I found the breakfast to be adequate and my only suggestion would be to offer sauces to go with the cooked breakfast .

Overall the staff were pleasant and tried to resolve issues and they did reduce my bill to compensate for the poor cleaning standards and the lack of heating.

My view - this hotel looks sumptuous when you are in the bar or dining room, once you get upstairs it goes downhill and the hotel needs some radical improvements. The hotel also advertises free Wi Fi but this is only in certain places and although you can access the net via an ethernet cable you have to go to reception for this and leave a deposit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write. My colleague has already responded to you personally and it is my belief you left contented. We will be taking your comments up with the company that does our cleaning and asking for a full report as to what went wrong
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Subject: Plough and Harrow Hotel
Location: Birmingham, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom, Europe
Title: murder mistery

My work colleagues and I attended the murder mistery evening in 5/10/12 . Although the event was ok and there was alot of audiance partcipation.This was clearly to mask the awful food that was service. What can I say bland! bland! bland!. The chicken had no seasoning. We had 3 boiled potatoes that were cold,one dish of veg for seven people,had to ask for more. If anything the gravy should be warm and have some flavour. It tasted like it can straight from a bistro packet. As for the desert where do I start slice of tart. Not sure what it was suposed to be. For £33 per head could have been better and taster! Obviously the money went towards hired entertainment.
Would not recommend to others less the food improves.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends