“Just lovely!”

Ranked #81 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Worstershire, UK
“Just lovely!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

This is a lovely old hotel with lots of charm. The rooms are a bit dated, but we were told that they are slowly refurbishing. The lobby bar area (which has been refurbished) was cozy and warm, but a little bit quiet. It could do with some music!

Our dinner there was second-to-none. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. We were served by a lovely young Australian lady who, apparently, is only new. She was wonderfully helpful in assisting with dietary questions (I have allergies) and seemed genuinely interested in how we enjoyed our meal (A special thanks to the chef who also changed his dishes for me). She is a real credit to the hotel (please pass on my thanks!).

Breakfast was lovely and fresh. The staff seemed a little unorganised but maybe it was because there was no manager (I couldn't see one). However, we got everything we wanted.

I can't wait to come back when the rooms are finished!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind comments, it will be my pleasure to pass them on.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

nice hotel - friendly staff. room was fine - good size and reasonably well decorated. walls were a bit thin.
breakfast much better on weekdays rather than than the weekend buffet

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments, I will be pass them on to the team.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Further to the review supplied by Kimbartrum, I would like to add that it was for my wedding that the hotel room had been booked.

While a complaint was raised by Kim on my behalf, due to being on honeymoon, and a refund was indeed given, I should like to point out that while she was happy with that aspect of the response, she also stated that she did not think a lot of the concerns she had raised (and there were many) had been addressed.

I'd also like to point out that in the response, the person couldn't even get my name right. My name is Louise, not Lisa.

Considering that a hotel is supposed to be customer facing, the way the initial complaint was raised at the time (the morning of what was supposed to be the start of the happiest day of my life and not one staff member seemed to care at the distress that was being caused) was appalling and while a refund was prompt, it was really the very least that could and should have been done and shouldn't reverse a review of what was an appalling show of customer care.

I had not intended to write a review myself as I felt that Kim's would be enough, however considering that a refund or apology were not forthcoming until they were demanded days later, I felt I had to. The review was for our experience while we were in the hotel and the poor customer care received on site, not how the matter was concluded, nor were there any assurances that a matter such as this would be handled better in future by way of better training for staff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank moominlou
I am affraid I have to dis agree with your review.
After finishing breakfast you left the hotel to go and get married with us looking into your friends comments. We acted swiftly and resolved the situation to the satisfaction of your friend, As per her letter to me.

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

We were surprised at how nice the rooms were (the web photos do not do them justice). It was quite, clean, comfortable and all the staff incredibly friendly. We had a fantastic night in the hotel and food was so good that we stayed for lunch the following day. We will certainly be back and advise anyone travelling to birmingham to try this hotel you will not be dissapointed!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
robertsmithph, Owner at Plough and Harrow Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write. I am very pleased you like what we have done so far, it is greatly appreciated
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stayed at the Plough and Harrow for one night whilst on business. The Hotel did not fail to impress me, the room was clean and tidy and the bathroom was spotless. The room layout was a little strange as I had to go up stairs and back down again to get to my room and I would imagine if you had lots of luggage it could be awkward. This would not stop me staying here again though. All the staff polite and very efficient. I was made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them. The evening meal in the bar was very good and the breakfast was excellent. I have recommended this Hotel to other collegues who are coming to Birmingham and they have all booked in to stay there as well, I will certainly book to stay at the Plough and Harrow again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Stewart T
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your very kind comments. I will sure and pass them on to the team. Thanks again
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

Stayed with my friend the night before her wedding. Discovered an enormous cockroach in the grubby-looking, dated bathroom. Staff couldn't have been less enthusiastic in their response and were completely unapologetic despite the obvious distress caused on an important day. Whilst they did move us to another room, this too was well below expectations. Would not recommend to anyone, nor ever stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Kimbartrum
I can only apologise again as per my previous letter to you for any distress caused during your stay. As detailed in my letter to you we called our pest control people who were able to confirm that the insect although unfortunate was a solitary one. And far from being uninterested in your concerns I responded immeadiately to your letter, of which you thanked me for my quick response and also for the gesture of a total refund for the 2 night stay. Under the circumstances I do not believe I could have done more as in your letter to me you stated you were happy the matter had come to a satisfactory end
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

We have stayed at the Plough and Harrow several times now and have not been disappointed. Our room has always been prepared to a high standard and the bathroom is always spotless. The breakfast is always excellent and served in the spacious dining room. The staff are efficient, polite and attentive.Dinner in the restaurant has always been a good expereice.The location is very good as it is within walking distance of the city centre. All in all, we find the Plough and Harrow excellent value for money and we shall definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.