“Customer delight”

Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
New Delhi, India
“Customer delight”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Nice hotel.Stayed twice on my last visit to England.it is just 3 minutes from new street station.

Rooms and beds are comfortable , good spacious. Tea and coffee well stocked.But need to get water .Would have been good if they supply the same as well.Now only issue i have is when i checked in second time the room given to me had all old amenities. The bathroom and stuff was not as good as the earlier one.Anyways i requested the front desk to change and they did.

The front desk is very polite and helpful always. Another complaint i have is that the guests have to show their room keys if entering hotel after 11. Now why not install card readers at the gate or like other chains have in the lifts so no un-wanted people get in. They have a person at the door asking to show the keys.I do not want anyone asking me any sort of questions if i am coming back at 12 or 1 in the night. If i have the key i will put it in the lift and go to my room.

Breakfast is about GBP 10.50 if bought a night before and i think GBP 15 if bought in morning.Again i have stayed in similar hotels and breakfast is around GBP 7-8. Not much of an issue but still on a higher side. There is decent choice for vegetarians as well.Also i like the vegetarian sausages i ordered specially during breakfast. On the first day i had forgotten my breakfast coupon in the room so i told the lady will get after having breakfast as only 10 minutes left , she did not believe me and even had a word with front desk. They told her that i bought coupon yesterday , obviously i bought yesterday for todays breakfast. and i checked in yesterday so how can i have breakfast on the check-in day when check-in is usually after 12pm.

Wireless is free at the moment and works perfectly fine for regular use. For heavy download and stuff you need to pay.

Bar : It is decently stocked and meals are fine.

I will stay again if prices stay decent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear sumit130682,

Thank you for your detailed review following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted that you were happy with most aspects of your stay. Regarding security arrangements, being a City Centre property, we are doing our best to protect the customers, staff and buildings by simply carrying out certain ID checks on arrival after 11pm. This is to protect you and the Hotel. I am sorry if this caused you any inconvenience. Regarding the bedroom arrangements, if there is a room that you like, please let us know and we will do our best to allocate you with the same room where possible. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I am responsible for conducting hotel inspections for airlines, hence, feel I will provide Trip Advisor readers with an unbiased feedback.
I have just returned from a short stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham city Centre for 1 night over a weekend in August where I was upgraded to the Business room. The quality of the room was surprisingly good, spacious, with a nice flat screen TV, large comfortable bed, small amount of amenities in the bathroom, a work station, standard basic shower, small table with a comfortable chair and complimentary wi-fi access which is very slow and there is a charge for high speed.
The room does not have any pay per view facilities, so you are lumbered with terrestrial type TV channels. I had a do not disturb sign on the door but the duty manager ignored that and disturbed my sleep.
Parking outside the hotel was £15 a night but you have to reserve the space in advance.
Restaurants,( fast food too) and nightlife very near-by, however, I felt a little intimidated by the drunk mobs which were roaming around in the early hours of the morning.
Most of the staff were very helpful especially Jana, nothing was too much trouble and I was impressed at the way they had my key waiting in a gold envelope and I may go back to this hotel, as long as I was upgraded again. The only thing that spoilt my stay was the interruption from the duty manager whilst the “Do not disturb” sign was on the door handle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Holidayairlineman,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. It is always most welcoming to get some feedback as it highlights the areas we can concentrate on better. Regarding internet, we have a free internet option available to all guests with a limited bandwith and with option to purchase faster connection at a very competitive rate of £1.00 per hour, £5.00 per day or £15.00 per week. We have also recently installed large flat screen smart TVs throughout the Hotel with internet connection. Please be also assured that your concerns with the Duty Manager entering your room has been discussed and fully addressed with the Hotel team. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Chesterfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Easily reached from the motorway. Staff on reception desk friendly, helpful and a sense of humour. The room was clean, well stocked with tea, coffee etc, tv was large, table to use to write on and the bathroom facilities were very good. Evening meal on first night a buffet, were you could select your own, the lamb was beautifully cooked and the sides available were tasty. The cheesecake, pecan, maple syrup was very nice indeed. We had a drink in the bar area before bed, it was all very pleasant. Breakfast was extensive in choice, well cooked and in pleasant surroundings, catering staff were helpful and cheerful. Our towel rail was cold but the Housekeeping staff were there to quickly remedy the cause. Overall our two day stay was enjoyable, the food was excellent, the rooms clean, bed, the right firmness and the bathroom facilities were top notch. I would recommend wholeheartedly

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear pebbles62cleethorpes,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your latest visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback and it does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

PS- wishing you a happy wedding anniversary.

Bora Sayar
stoke on trent
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel for my daughters 21st theatre trip.We went by train and the hotel is just a 5 min stroll from new street station...as pointed out by taxi we jumped in !! So after short walk we arrived and were very pleased. Its an up market ..well seemed so to us...holiday inn really lovely, all staff very helpful and polite.It also caters for the business user but we did not feel out of place.
Our room was spotless with a rather impressive big wall mounted tv and breakfast very hearty ( included in our room rate )
The hotel is within walking distance of all main city centre attractions bull ring , hippodrome , museums and high street.
So I would totally recommend this lovely hotel, its staff and location are ideal to people after a city break.Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear hennie68,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your latest visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted to read your comments and have taken the liberty to share them with my team. It is great to see that we were able to accommodate and exceed your expectations from a Holiday Inn and such feedback always goes a long way.

We hope to welcome you and family back in future.

Bora Sayar
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Birmingham City Centre Holiday Inn over two days in August consisting of Friday & Saturday.

My room was an entry level standard with a queen sized bed. The room was adequate for my needs apart from the bath room being rather small with the old fashioned method of having the shower in a bath tub......I really do dislike this type of cumbersome arrangement to the extent that it shall perhaps prevent me from staying here again, give me a walk in power shower every time.
Check in was prompt and efficient and the Sat morning buffet breakfast was quite magnificent. The bar area is spacious yet rather boring and lacking any vibe or atmosphere.
Two bottles of complimentary water and a small chocolate bar were provided each day, a nice touch which was much appreciated.
All areas of the hotel both communal and bedroom were clean, tidy and my bed was very comfortable.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Trexmid
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Trexmid,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am pleased to hear that you found the cleanliness, facilities, food offerings and staff to be excellent. Regarding bathroom arrangements, we do have mixtures of rooms with bath or walk-in shower facilities. Should you wish to contact us directly, we would be more than happy to update your profile with your pereferences for future visits. We hope to wlecome you back in future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I booked a standard double room with its online promotion price. Maybe because of the "discounted price" of the room, we got a room on the S floor ( a supplementary floor I suppose). The male receptionist was pretty rude and impatient when handling our check-in.

The room itself was okey: quite spacious with big bed and coffee and tea facilities There is no mini-bar/fridge, no tooth brush nor tooth paste in the room; but its fine, we brought our own. There was a big problem though, the windows could not be closed and people could access to our room from the outside platform, where I think their staff are having cigarette break with (because there were loads of cigarette butts on the platform).

I have stayed in other Holiday Inn hotels in the US and Asian countries, so I didn't expect the room quality and service quality was like this. Maybe I expected too much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bora001, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Ypa_li,

Thank you for reviewing your latest experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am sorry to hear that you experience some shortfalls during your stay. I can assure you that your comments have been taken on board and fully discussed with the Hotel team. I am certain that your next visit to Holiday Inn Birmingham City will be the one to remember for all the right reasons. We hope to welcome you back in future.

Volos, Greece
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel is very close to the typical Holiday Inn standards. The location is nice, you can reach the central malls and the city's main square on foot. The breakfast was enormous and the view of the room was excellent. However, we were misinformed by the personnel about the breakfast time and we missed the breakfast one of the 2 days of our stay. In fact, they had different breakfast time in weekends and in work-days. When I complained about this (we had already paid for a room with breakfast), they did nothing to help us. I expected better service from such a hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Charis C,

Thank you for reviewing your latest visit to the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall. I am sorry to hear about the mis-communications regarding the breakfast times. Please be assured that I am dealing with this matter to ensure such incidents do not re-occur in future. We hope to welcome you back in future.