“Great Location”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel is mid price range and you get what you pay for. It's in the city centre with Bull Ring and New Street shopping within 5 mins. If you arrive by train take the new Southwest exit and you're almost opposite the Hotel. If you're driving there's a NCP in the next street. It really is so well situated for everythng in the city centre it has a lot to offer.
It's feels like a 1970's type Hotel, a bit jaded, worn carpets, dark corridors, dated decor and only one of the two lifts worked. When i arrived there was a long queue of people waiting to check in which was something I've rarely experienced in other hotels. After the long wait to check in there was a long wait for the one operational lift. Exiting the lift, the corridor was dark only lit up when sensors monitored you moving.
My bedroom was on the 2nd floor looking over the road which became noisy around 6.00 a.m. Strangely the decor was definitely 1970 psychadelic colours and designs but with a large 'all singing all dancing ' SmartTV ! There's a safe, fridge, iron and hair dryer provided which is really brilliant but there was no mirror in the room atall which was odd so you had to dry your hair without seeing what you were doing?.Bed was huge and comfy with lovely duvet and pillows. Bathroom was well appointed, bath + shower, shampoos, creams, big towels fab !
Breakfast offered good choice and replenished regularly, again the decor and furniture in the restaurant area was so dated but the staff were helpful and friendly.
I'd definitely use this Hotel again

Room Tip: My 2nd floor room overlooking the road did become a little noisy with traffic from 6.00 a.m so maybe...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank whatahol
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear whatahol,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel. I would also like apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. I want to assure you that the issues you have raised will be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,662)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as I was going to the Beyonce concert at the LG Arena. I really enjoyed my stay here, my room was very spacious and comfortable. Both the bedroom and bathroom were very clean and had excellent amenities. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. I liked the location of the hotel as it is very conveniently situated about a 5 minute walk from New Street Station and The Bull Ring shopping centre. I did not eat in the hotel so I cannot comment on the quality of the food. The temperature of my bedroom was a little cold but I was able to adjust the heating to suit me. I have stayed at The Holiday Inn in different cities before and was very impressed so that is what made me book to stay here this time. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The prices are very reasonable too. Loved it!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are less likely to have noise from outside.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jessica G
Fethi H, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

I am so glad you were happy with all aspects of your stay, and I will pass these on to all the staff at the hotel.

kind regards

Operation manager

Stayed for one night.
Check-in very easy and staff very polite and informative.
Large spacious clean room.
I was on the busy main road side but could not hear the traffic when windows shut.
Room was too warm for me on arrival but air-con worked very well and was quickly at a more cooler temperature.
Bed was comfortable and bathroom/shower very clean and everything worked well.
Plenty of clean fresh towels.
The bar area was fine and has an outside seating area. Prices were reasonable as well,
Only had breakfast (self service) but this was very good. Food was well cooked and presented well. Staff were attentive and soon sorted a minor hiccup with by booking (breakfast included)
I will happily stay here again when in the area for work or pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 3astwood

Dear value Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I will pass on your positive remarks to our staff about our friendly service.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Lovely Staff, had a nice chat to them!
Rooms & TV were a bit dated compared to other holiday inn's, But still very clean!
Great location!!
Breakfast was better than most!
Parking Free from 6pm - 8am.
Would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jo Anne L S

Dear Guest,

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre. I am so glad you were happy with all aspects of your stay.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed from 3rd-5th May 2013 for the Red Dwarf Convention.
Staff were very helpful and made us welcome. This is an excellent location for anyone visiting Birmingham and is near the "Bull Ring" and the station.
The central lobby is very impressive and well maintained.
The rooms, however could do with some refurbishment. The bathroom has a great layout and I love the little extras, tissues etc. The toilet is very narrow and kept getting blocked. (Think Greek Loo and you get the general idea!!)
There is not much space for storage; just one small wardrobe with a few hangers but no drawers.
TV was fab but we were busy doing the whole Convention thing so did not really use it. The room was cold but the staff provided us with additional heating in the form of an oil heater plus a blanket for the bed. The bed was Queen size and firm. This is ok for me but the pillows were also firm. It would have been nice to have the option of some additional soft pillows.
The room was very clean and street noise was not a problem as we were on the 8th floor. The food could have been better at the Buffet and Breakfast but the service could not be faulted.
I would stay again but would eat outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the higher floors and keep the windows shut to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roaminglady52

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback from our customers.
Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre. I am glad you liked the service you have recieved.

Regarding the quality of the food; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay . I will pass your comments to our team to see if such problem s doesn’t occur in the future.

Thank you once again, for your constructive comments.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently stayed for a Red Dwarf weekend. We were there three days / two nights. Lovely hotel. Our room was a tad small but it suited our needs fine. Great shower. Very friendly, attentive staff. Reasonable prices for everything in the hotel. Great food.

Close to the train stations and the Bull Ring

Only two negatives: 1. It's right in the centre of a city that no-one in their right mind would ever visit. Birmingham is, for the most part, a giant [--]. 2. The NCP next to the hotel charge an extortionate fee. We paid sixty pounds for the time we were there. With my wife being disable we couldn't really park elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Peter J
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear value Guest,

I look forward to seeing you again soon at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre,

Fabio Barros

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with a friend as we were attending something at the HMV institute. Found it to be very nice, booked a twin room which had 2 single beds these were of a good size and very comfortable. The room was very big, with a nice big tv on the wall and good sized bathroom.
I Like the idea of the dove hand soap and Lux shower gel thought it was a good alternative to bog standard hotel toiletries - also saves on wastage. Very good lighting in the room also.
Most the staff I came across seemed friendly especially the gentleman on the door at night.
Ordered room service and the quality was faultless. Didnt eat breakfast so can not comment on that although I noticed a 241 offer for it on the weekend.

People complaining about the noise from outside.. Did you not know you booked a city centre hotel??

Thank you for the nice stay, never seem to be dissapointed with a Holiday Inn Hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank klm29

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.
We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well. I will pass your comments to our team.
Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write.
Kind Regards