“One Business Trip - Excellent”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #63 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Lincoln
“One Business Trip - Excellent”

Stayed for one night.
Check-in very easy and staff very polite and informative.
Large spacious clean room.
I was on the busy main road side but could not hear the traffic when windows shut.
Room was too warm for me on arrival but air-con worked very well and was quickly at a more cooler temperature.
Bed was comfortable and bathroom/shower very clean and everything worked well.
Plenty of clean fresh towels.
The bar area was fine and has an outside seating area. Prices were reasonable as well,
Only had breakfast (self service) but this was very good. Food was well cooked and presented well. Staff were attentive and soon sorted a minor hiccup with by booking (breakfast included)
I will happily stay here again when in the area for work or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 3astwood
Fethi H, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear value Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I will pass on your positive remarks to our staff about our friendly service.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre,

Fethi hmaissi
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Lovely Staff, had a nice chat to them!
Rooms & TV were a bit dated compared to other holiday inn's, But still very clean!
Great location!!
Breakfast was better than most!
Parking Free from 6pm - 8am.
Would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo Anne L S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre. I am so glad you were happy with all aspects of your stay.

Kind Regards,

Fethi hmaissi
Yorkshire
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed from 3rd-5th May 2013 for the Red Dwarf Convention.
Staff were very helpful and made us welcome. This is an excellent location for anyone visiting Birmingham and is near the "Bull Ring" and the station.
The central lobby is very impressive and well maintained.
The rooms, however could do with some refurbishment. The bathroom has a great layout and I love the little extras, tissues etc. The toilet is very narrow and kept getting blocked. (Think Greek Loo and you get the general idea!!)
There is not much space for storage; just one small wardrobe with a few hangers but no drawers.
TV was fab but we were busy doing the whole Convention thing so did not really use it. The room was cold but the staff provided us with additional heating in the form of an oil heater plus a blanket for the bed. The bed was Queen size and firm. This is ok for me but the pillows were also firm. It would have been nice to have the option of some additional soft pillows.
The room was very clean and street noise was not a problem as we were on the 8th floor. The food could have been better at the Buffet and Breakfast but the service could not be faulted.
I would stay again but would eat outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the higher floors and keep the windows shut to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roaminglady52

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City. It is always most encouraging to receive such feedback from our customers.
Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre. I am glad you liked the service you have recieved.

Regarding the quality of the food; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay . I will pass your comments to our team to see if such problem s doesn’t occur in the future.

Thank you once again, for your constructive comments.

Tenbury Wells
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently stayed for a Red Dwarf weekend. We were there three days / two nights. Lovely hotel. Our room was a tad small but it suited our needs fine. Great shower. Very friendly, attentive staff. Reasonable prices for everything in the hotel. Great food.

Close to the train stations and the Bull Ring

Only two negatives: 1. It's right in the centre of a city that no-one in their right mind would ever visit. Birmingham is, for the most part, a giant [--]. 2. The NCP next to the hotel charge an extortionate fee. We paid sixty pounds for the time we were there. With my wife being disable we couldn't really park elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Peter J
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear value Guest,

I look forward to seeing you again soon at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre,

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with a friend as we were attending something at the HMV institute. Found it to be very nice, booked a twin room which had 2 single beds these were of a good size and very comfortable. The room was very big, with a nice big tv on the wall and good sized bathroom.
I Like the idea of the dove hand soap and Lux shower gel thought it was a good alternative to bog standard hotel toiletries - also saves on wastage. Very good lighting in the room also.
Most the staff I came across seemed friendly especially the gentleman on the door at night.
Ordered room service and the quality was faultless. Didnt eat breakfast so can not comment on that although I noticed a 241 offer for it on the weekend.

People complaining about the noise from outside.. Did you not know you booked a city centre hotel??

Thank you for the nice stay, never seem to be dissapointed with a Holiday Inn Hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank klm29
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.
We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well. I will pass your comments to our team.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The hotel is very conveniently situated about a 5 minute walk from New Street station and it is just a short walk to the main shopping areas and restaurants of the city centre as well as to the cultural areas around the Museum and Art Gallery, the Town Hall concert hall, the Repertory Theatre and the Symphony Hall and Convention Centre. There are also several convenience stores and mini supermarkets no more than 1 minute's walk from the main entrance.

My room was at the back and looked out over a rather grimy back street and the entrance to a multi-storey car park; although it was reasonably quiet most of the time, there was a lot of noise especially early in the morning as dustbin and delivery lorries loaded and unloaded at the hotel's service entrance which was located on the same street. Three years ago I stayed in the same hotel and my room then faced out over the roof of its meeting-room suites and I found it considerably quieter as a result.

The room was spacious and modern in design, with a large and comfortable double bed and a good-sized bathroom with shower only. However, I could have done with rather more shelving and storage space - there was really just a hanging rail and a high shelf above it, and a desk with just one drawer containing the hairdryer. And my room three years ago not only had a bathtub - which I would have appreciated given how cold it was during my stay - but also felt a lot cosier and more comfortable, with more cushions and a comfortable chair rather than just a hard wooden chair. Perhaps that room still does have such facilities, but I certainly missed them during this stay. The flatscreen TV was excellent, however, with access to the full range of digital freeview channels.

The heating in the room was very effective when it worked but seemed to be switched off centrally overnight. One night I returned to a freezing room at 11 pm after having been out all day since 9 am, and with all electricity and heating switched off as part of the usual energy-saving measures taken by most chain hotels these days; unfortunately, all my heater would produce were blasts of cold air, although at 7 am next morning it began once again to generate real heat.

I had the breakfast buffet every morning with a reasonable range of tasty hot and cold choices (although not quite as good a range as in some other Holiday Inns I have sampled recently). Bear in mind that it is cheaper to buy breakfast vouchers for your entire stay at the time of check-in than to charge breakfast to your room when you turn up in the restaurant.

I also had dinner in the restaurant one night and in the bar the other night. I had remembered the restaurant as particularly fine (and unusually so for a Holiday Inn) during my last stay, with many very appetising and imaginative dishes. Perhaps these are still on offer on weekday and Sunday evenings but on Fridays and Saturdays the only option is to have the dinner buffet for an all-inclusive price. This was perfectly adequate but I felt that the salad bar was very meagre and the desserts looked better than they tasted. My dinner in the bar was also adequate, though the bar area could get very noisy.

The hotel was very well maintained and the staff all very helpful and friendly.

This hotel offers good value and a very convenient location. But it felt a bit less upmarket than on my previous stay and so I might investigate some of the other options, such as the Radisson Blu next door, when I next have to stay in Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ak0usila0s
Dear valued guest,
Stanstead Abbotts, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel is right in the centre of the city in a good location next to china town.
The rooms are really good and well presented.
There is a bar and restaurant on the first floor and staff are friendly.
Rooms on the upper floors keep you away from any street noise or the construction of the shopping centre above New st station.
I forgot they even have a choice of different pillows in the room which is a great idea.

Room Tip: If you are driving you will have to park down the road so drop your luggage at the hotel and they wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple