“Not the friendliest of welcomes”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #63 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Not the friendliest of welcomes”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I booked over the phone thinking I was calling the hotel direct to find I was through to a reservation centre with someone who didn't speak very good English and couldn't understand me.

I checked in the lady who checked me in had no customer service skills as such!
Did not smile once, seemed like she didn't want to be there! Didn't say a lot! And very slow I was there for ages!

I asked if they had a bar to which I was told yes! But as it was late I can't pay cash and have to leave a security swipe to open a bar fridge in my room!
So I didn't bother and went to a bar which wanted my business!

I was charged £55 for one night stay which is good value!

I travel to birmingham a lot and never stayed here before, so thought I'd give it a try!

Location is ok although the exterior and road it's situated on is grotty!
The reception is located round the back down some alley way it looks like I couldn't initially find the entrance!
Nice welcome with two big bins outside!

I enquired about parking and its majourly over priced so i parked in the Arcadian which was cheaper!

Was placed in room 101 which is right on the end, of what is a very noisy road traffic noise, horns and shouting all night! In what looks a dodgy area!

I only stayed 1 night however on receiving my bank statement have been charged twice!!!! So I have paid £110 for one night!
For that price I could have stayed at a better hotel!

Currently querying this with management!

Spoke to someone and let's see if they call me back today after 3pm

Apparently I extended the stay at 2pm ish although when enquiring this earlier on in the night was told I couldn't extend as they were full??

So how have I been charged twice!
We shall see if this gets sorted!

On another note rooms seem very basic considering!
No proper wardrobe
I had one spare pillow and one soft one and a hard one!
With no instructions on how to get which ones you wanted and the spare pillow had no indication of which it was so how your pillow menu works I don't know as couldn't find it!

Could not seem to get the heating to work so was very cold room all night. Weirdly every time I changed the temperature up! It automatically reset back to another temperature lower than what I requested and you can't select the function of heat/fan or air con as it says on the instructions!

Room was big although shower room seemed small with grubby shower curtain and the first hotel I've stayed in with 2 seperate shower/bath taps and two shower heads etc!

Corridors seemed gloomy and dull and I received no instructions how to get to my room so walked to the wrong end of the long corridor initially!

Free wi-fi is useless and keeps cutting off and had to enquire about how to use it! Instructions for this are not clear enough and had been failed to be told at reception on check in which I would have thought be standard procedure as I'm not a mind reader yet!

I'd definitely only stay here as a last resort in the future! Didn't eat or drink here as no one seems bothered here I felt like I was an inconvenience!

So if this payment is not sorted I shall be enquiring with my bank as this was unauthorised!

• Stayed March 2013
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre.

With regards to the noise from outside; I have taken this matter up with the Local Authorities as we do not have any control over the environment outside the building, yet it is also a great concern to us. As being a commercial property, there are set procedures when dealing with those incidents which require a lot time and forms to be filled in. To support our case with the Local Authorities, I will be sharing your invaluable comments with them. Being a City Centre property, you would expect to have some outside noise. Even though, we have experienced similar incidents last year, we can not inform all customers of what could happen, as this is not a regular issue.

Regarding the Bar; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and a great service from our team. Unfortunately we don’t accept cash after 11pm so that we have only residents at the bar. Thank you once again, for your constructive comments.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great stay,service is top nosh,rooms are not average but suitable for the price.all modern which I think is important furnishes ae lovely.checkin upon arrival was easy staff were nice.
Again very nice all round and would defiantly recommend to anyone who's on a nice tightly budget

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.
We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well. I will pass your comments to our team.
Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre is strategically located within 10 minutes of brisk walking to the bustling Birmingham New Street station with regular services to and from London (1 hour 20 minutes away by Virgin Trains) and other parts of the UK, and also to the futuristic Bullring Shopping Mall anchored by Selfridges and Debenhams department stores.

The Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre reminds me of the Holiday Inn Los Angeles International Airport, which while totally serviceable, provides a quick and comfortable transit stop rather than a relaxing vacation residence, and lacks facilities such as a pool and a gym.

Staff are generally friendly, but service can be tardy, as perhaps can be expected of a busy hotel. A call for an ice bucket was not fulfilled despite a reminder after an hour’s wait, and we had to personally make a trip down to the lobby bar to bring up the ice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear valued guest,
Regarding the ice; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great service from our team I will pass the comments to my team to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.
Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

As per all the Holiday Inn's I have stopped in they have shown great service, great value for money and lovely rooms. This one is just as I would have expected. The only thing that lets this one down is the hideous views of the building work, the roofs and the ring road in Birmingham, but it can't really do anything about that. If you want a business hotel though to work in it can't be beaten.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Kind Regards,

London, England
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed her 6 April. Great location right in the Centre easy access to the train station. We parked in the car park just near to the hotel for ease but the hotel does have a discount with another NCP car park. On arrival greeted by very friendly and helpful reception team who gave us all the information we required for our stay. We were in Birmingham to go to the WBA v Arsenal game. Very easy to get to WBA, trains available every 10 minutes. Large, clean rooms with very comfortable beds and good sized bathrooms. Would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Kind Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is what you would expect from a Holiday Inn. Good service clean rooms and a good location .
Situated just near the train station and Bullring . Loads of option to eat around.
Good clean rooms most of them re furbished now.
Recommended .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear value Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I will pass on your positive remarks to our staff about our friendly service.

I look forward to seeing you again soon at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

First discovered the Bar here last Grand National Day (2012) and its a little oasis of calm in the city centre where you can have a good value bite to eat and drink in comfort with excellent personal service! I've dropped in now and again for a drink and this year reserved a table for the folks and I to watch the race in comfort (mothers too embarrassing to be standing in the bookies shouting at the screens!) and we spent a leisurely afternoon grazing and drinking and waiting for mothers winners to be come in! This is just a comfortable, reliable bar service grazing food (father ended up taking the other half of mothers pizza home for supper - though he's not keen on leftovers!). Thanks to Geoff and the team for looking after us - and we will be popping back before next years race! (oh and they both had winners - 3rd and 4th this year!)... go here for a little peace, good prices and an out door terrace!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family