“Good Exec Rooms”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here in March on business. Found this hotel to be consistent with the Holiday Inn experience. You know what you're going to get and this is a plus if you're out and about sometimes. As much as I prefer the quirkier end of the market for leisure, for business I prefer to go somewhere I know that the service and sleep quality is going to be decent.

It's a city centre location, less than 5 minutes walk from the Train Station, so if you're going to travel by train this is easy. Car Parking is expensive. £20 overnight not included in the room rate so think twice before you park. Also, the car park doesn't exactly feel too secure. There weren't any issues whilst I was there, but it's a small and narrow car park, multi-storey, and people tend to drive like idiots up the ramp. Take care when walking down.

The breakfast is pretty good, although for some reason they have put in a coffee machine, rather than serving hot drinks to the table. Not something I've experienced elsewhere, but not a barrier to a warm cup of caffeine in the morning!

Quick check-out and hassle-free. Hope you enjoy this hotel. Let me know if this review was helpful to you.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Can be good view if the weather is good and tends to be less noisy. Main inter...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,662)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a good hotel for the NEC and city centre. The Bull Ring is literally a 2 minute walk up the hill. The Bull Ring itself is huge and takes all weekend to walk around, is all undercover and there's loads of places to eat and drink with plenty of options to quell your designer cravings.

The NEC is the next stop up on the train and is about £9, The train station is 2 minutes up the hill again, You go out the hotel to the main road turn left and go up the hill, the train station is on the left and the Bull Ring is on the right.

Back to the Hotel, the room was plenty big enough for the three of us, we had a bathroom and a shower room. It was a little noisy from the traffic outside and a few night time clubbers, but it’s the city centre, don't you expect that? And certainly wasn't bad enough to keep you awake. The food was good and reasonably priced but for breakfast you have to get the 2 for 1 or you'll end up paying £15 per head, but this needs to be booked before midnight the day before.

The hotel is easy to find and is right next to an NCP car park, but the hotel has a deal with another one 5 minutes around the corner that offer guests a discount.

All in all, it's a good pleasant hotel, the staff are friendly, everything is clean tidy and well tended. We will use it again if we go back to Birmingham.

Room Tip: Its got 9 floors, so the higher to go the quieter it will be, you need to book a hotel parking space...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre. I am so glad you were happy with all aspects of your stay, and I will pass these on to all the staff at the hotel.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here last year when we were in Birmingham for a car show in the NEC. The Hotel is literally a 2 min walk from the main train station, the shopping centre and loads of restaurants. We were only here for two nights and spent most of one day at the show out at the NEC so the stay was a bit short! The rooms were very modern (Think the rooms must have been revamped recently) but from the outside the hotel looks old - not the most attractive of buildings..! The breakfast was not included in our booking and we were given the option of booking it when we arrived at the hotel...it was a bit overpriced so on the two mornings we decided to head down to the centre and eat there. Overall we really enjoyed the trip and would stay here again if we ever go again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rossie87

Dear Guest,

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city centre. I am so glad you were happy with all aspects of your stay.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent as it is two minutes walk from Birmingham New Street railway station so it is perfect for the business traveller. The bar is superb with a lovely terrace overlooking the city skyline. The room was fairly clean, though the bath could have been better . So, what was wrong with it?

When I checked in I found out breakfast was not included, which for the price of the room was disgusting. It does seem rather greedy to charge exceedingly expensive prices and expect people to pay extra for breakfast, particularly when the standard room is no different from one in a Travelodge but a lot more for nothing extra. I am not criticising Travelodges by the way, but for the price I paid I expected more. The room was not bad, but it lacked a filled minibar which was mysterious as there were clean tumblers nearby.

The restaurant was closed by 9:30 p.m. (which is surprising as it is a hotel aimed at business travellers). The buffet food warmers looked distinctly empty but I checked with restaurant staff and I was informed it was closed. I find this unsatisfactory for a hotel of The Holiday Inn's noticeable size.

This led me to venture outside the hotel for a restaurant. This was difficult as the hotel is surrounded by casinos and fast food outlets, so a decent restaurant is hard to come by. Eventually I came across Maharaja, a wonderful Indian restaurant which was lovely. So, if you are looking for a nice restaurant pop-in here. It has a warm welcome, decent prices and the chicken korma is excellent. It is located two minutes walk from the hotel on Hurst Street.

If you visit the bar after 11 p.m. you HAVE to put any drinks on the room which I find astonishing. Apparently, the bar manager told me it was to ensure it is for hotel guests only, but that is kind of odd. I mean, as the customer, shouldn't I choose how I pay?! And if you are hoping to use the hotel's free wi-fi, you will have to get your wallet out and pay for it as the publicised free internet doesn't seem to work.

Oh, if you are hoping for a good night's sleep then choose a room at the rear as the front rooms overlook the busy street and it is noisy. And, pack your own blanket as I got cold and there are none in the wardrobe (which you would expect).

Overall, the hotel is of an okay standard, I think the room I had was overpriced as it did not seem much different from a Travelodge, but it didn't seem cost effective to have a hotel with a restaurant that closed by 9;30 p.m. a bar where you have no choice to put it on the room after 11 p.m. and Wi-Fi which doesn't work. The Management need to do more to make this hotel more welcoming to the customer. Overall: disappointing.

Room Tip: If you are hoping for a good night's sleep then choose a room at the rear as the front rooms ove...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear valued guest,

With regards to the noise from outside; I have taken this matter up with the Local Authorities as we do not have any control over the environment outside the building, yet it is also a great concern to us. As being a commercial property, there are set procedures when dealing with those incidents which require a lot time and forms to be filled in. To support our case with the Local Authorities, I will be sharing your invaluable comments with them. Being a City Centre property, you would expect to have some outside noise. Even though, we have experienced similar incidents last year, we can not inform all customers of what could happen, as this is not a regular issue.

Regarding the Bar; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and a great service from our team. Unfortunately we don’t accept cash after 11pm so that we have only residents at the bar. Thank you once again, for your constructive comments.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

One night stay for visit to Hipadrome theatre just 5 minutes walk. Room clean but not anything exceptional, probably comparable to Premier inn standard. Breakfast very good selection. Staff seem very polite.
Down side we were at the back of the hotel and unless you are very tired may have a sleepless night with traffic noise, my wife and daughter slept well but it was late and they were tired.
All in all I would go back again.

Room Tip: may be the higher you go the less traffic noise. we were on floor 3 and the noise was continuous all...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Regarding noise in the back of the hotel; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and a great service from our team I will pass the comments to my team to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

You are either lucky with this hotel or not. I had a big room on the 8th floor with a bed big enough for a family (does it need to be this big!) however it was at the front of the hotel which gets very noisy during the night. The food is good and I had a nice greeting on arrival. The decor is unfortunately poor and in need of a renovation. Wifi is given free of charge although it is not the best I have seen but free is free I suppose.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is excellent ,the rooms are really nice .There is a large screen TV, fridge, iron and ironing board etc.The beds are very comfortable and you even have a choice of pillows if you require from a list ..At reception pre order your breakfast its buffet style good quality and loads of choice.£15.00 for 2 people but well worth it.At night the drinks are a bit expensive buts its a hotel. So what do you expect.When in the city centre would definitely use this hotel again

Room Tip: Rooms on the back I think will be the most quiet as away from traffic.I use earplugs always so no pr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple