“Great Base”

Ranked #64 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Base”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for NYE and I have to say what a great location for a hotel it's easy to get to the Bullring or any bars and clubs without any use of taxi's which is great when it's NYE. Staff were friendly and were well prepared for the night. Security out front to stay any strays trying to come into the hotel late at night and breakfast didn't start until 10 on new years day which was great as we didn't get back in til about 3am!!! Would thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone wishing to explore Birmingham

• Stayed December 2012
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear GC1982,

Thank you for your great comments regarding your stay with us on New Years Eve.
I was working myself on New Years Eve and therefore I am glad you felt everything ran smoothly at the Hotel, meaning you could enjoy bringing in the New Year!!

Reception Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night and as soon as we arrived at reception the staff were great and checked us straight into our room even though we were early arrivals. Our room was lovely and very well laid out and our breakfast was well worth the price with everything we liked on it. We would definitely stay in this hotel again but would stay for longer than one night next time. We also found it really easy to find and only a short walk from the train station. It's in a really good location for getting around all of the local shopping and eating places.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sonia G,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay with us in December.
I am so glad you were happy with all aspects of your stay, and I will pass these on to all the staff at the hotel.
I look forward to seeing you again.

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here twice while attending a training course in October 2012. The first visit was great - nice room, decent shower, slept well. However, on my second visit I was woken up at 5am by the bin men tipping huge amounts of glass into the wagon, and it lasted for what seemed like forever (I'm not good in the morning at the best of times). My colleagues also found it difficult to sleep because of the traffic noise.

The rooms were nice and the staff were friendly, but if you're a light sleeper this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Kmjas,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in October.
I am pleased you had a good first stay with us, and I apologise for your broken sleep on your second stay. I believe the bottle bins were from a neighbouring Hotel, and it is unacceptable that they are being emptied at that time in the morning. I will pass this information on to my General Manager, who can speak directly to the neighbouring Hotel about collection times.

Reception manager
UK
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed at this Holiday Inn at least twice in the last few years. Every time I stay here I've been lucky to get my Platinum Priority Club upgrade. Now I've stayed at many Holiday Inn hotels in the UK and, as far as I can recall, this is the only one where you actually feel you are in an executive room. They are very large - almost the size of a mini suite - and very well equipped and furnished - with the largest bed I think I have ever seen in a UK hotel.

[At other Holiday Inns, I've often struggled to see what was "executive" about their premium rooms.]

The staff always seem pleasant, friendly and efficient. The buffet breakfast was very good and on a par with those elsewhere.

The location is quite central, so if you need to be in more of the downtown/business district, then this is a good choice. Many of the other chain hotels are elsewhere in the city. For great food and drink, just take a 10-minute walk to the Mailbox building and head up and out of the rear entrance to find a series of canal side venues.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear BritTraveller68,

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay with us in December.
I am pleased you have been so impressed with our Executive Rooms, and that we have been able to upgrade you as you are a Priority Club Platinum Member. I will pass on your positive comments to our staff, and hope to see you again in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here with my other half for two nights between Christmas and New Year and we had a great time. The room was really nice, the whole hotel was nice and clean, and the staff members we dealt with were all very friendly. In terms of location, it's great, in the heart of the city and only a short walk to whatever shops, theatres, and nightlife you care to visit.
The one let down was breakfast, things were left on the hotplate for far too long, especially the hash browns which were as hard as nails, and there wasn't a service for tea and coffee, just a horrid coffee machine and a large pot of hot water which was lukewarm and half empty on the first day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fethi H, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I will pass on your positive remarks to our staff about our friendly service. As you say, our Hotel is in the perfect location for travellers to Birmingham.
Regarding the breakfast quality ,please accept our sincere apologies.

I look forward to seeing you again soon at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre,

kind regards
Fethi Hmaissi
Operations Manager
aldridge,walsall
Reviewed December 30, 2012

stayed over on a sat night,great location near china town hich was our destination,for £55 the double room was spotless,nicely decorated and roomy.Nice big t.v. and even though the room was facing the main road the bed was comfy enough to give me a good nights sleep.The staff were very friendly and attentive ould definitely go back again 10/10

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear mancitymad65,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us in April. I will pass on your positive remarks to our staff about our friendly service. As you say, our Hotel is a perfect location for travellers to Birmingham.

Fabio Barros
Operations Manager
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here on a Saturday night . Arrived at the hotel at 7pm , in the rain and in a bit of a tired mood and the girl at reception was so friendly and lovely, she managed to put a smile on my face and made me feel very welcome. That's how all hotel receptionists should be , it makes a huge difference! Top marks for customer service received.

Check-in was swift and I arrived to my room on the 5th floor, right in front of the lift. Room was spacious and cosy , bed was big , all facilities very good and couldnt be happier. Loved the shower - very powerful! Great choice of pillows.
As a solo female traveller , I would say this hotel is very convenient , as it's close to New Street station. After 23.00 only hotel residents can come in, which is a plus.
Perfect location for most things : the station , Bullring , HMV Institute etc.

A few things I didnt like , even though I would stay here again.

Lack of a hair dryer .
Found a few hairs on the duvet cover
Bed too hard for my taste
A bit noisy if your room is right next to the lift.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Miss Voyageur,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in December.
As Reception Manager, i am so pleased that we managed to put a smile on your face when you checked in with us. I know that the journey to any Hotel can be difficult at times, with the traffic, weather, and the unfamiliarity of the city to some guests.
I will pass on your comments regarding the bed and duvet to Josie Stolban, our Head Housekeeping Manager, who will I'm sure deal with the issues you raised.

I am glad you would be happy to stay again, and I look forward to seeing you.