“Comfortable but challenging!”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #67 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed last night in this hotel whilst in Birmingham on business. It is in a central location, with very helpful staff and the rooms are comfortable and very clean. The beds are comfortable too, and the pillows are divine! The room was very warm and the windows opened, but only a little.
The hair dryer which was attached to the back of the wardrobe and the lead had to be really stretched to get anywhere near a mirror. Quite a challenge! To be fair, my colleague said her hairdryer was just in a drawer so she could plug in at a location of her choice.
All in all, a pleasant stay and handy for China Town with some lovely restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear mariamcb,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction.

Regarding the hair dryer; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We will be looking into this issue

Kind Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,618)

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had an overall pleasurable business stay at Holiday Inn CC in Birmingham. Location is quite central next to the New Street train station, room was very good, breakfast was acceptable. The view from the window is however rather depressing, industrial and overall non-spectacular, which is not miraculous considering the exact location of the street.

I got the quite nasty surprise from the receptionist that "there are no power plug adapters beyond reception desks", but of course "they offer them from the machine in the hotel" for 7 pounds...so don't forget to get your adapters beforehand!!!

Also be aware of the weird location of the build-in hairdryer - deeply hidden in the wardrobe next to the room's door and NOT in the bathroom...

Lucky me, all night long doors have been slamming - no idea if that's usually like that or not...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear lucyset,

We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction.

Regarding the noise from the corridor; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and undisturbed sleep overnight. As you notice we have put posters in all bedroom floors to eliminate this kind of incidents to occur.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great location close to Birmingham New Street railway station and the shops / Bullring. Not the best looking hotel from the outside, reception functional and efficient. Well priced for a city centre hotel. No real issues with the room which was a good size and had been recently refurbished. It certainly had all you would need - safe, ironing board, tea and coffee, flat screen TV, comfy bed, etc. For some reason hotels are pulling out their baths when they refurb and the Holiday Inn has followed the trend - shame really as showers are not everyone's 'cup of tea'. As others have commented the worst thing was the noise from the street at night, I was on the 1st floor and even with double glazed unit's and heavy curtains the noise finds its way through. I couldn't get into the hotel restaurant (too busy to accommodate me at the time I wanted to eat) which was a pity, but there are plenty of food establishments a stones throw away. Breakfast was ok with all you'd need to set your day up - would have liked hot plates and much hotter food, but have become accustomed to luke warm buffets!

Room Tip: Rooms are OK - just take the ear plugs!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear RandRI,

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city center

We are working very closely with local authorities and Southside BID (Business Development District) to address those issues such us noise. We do have wardens working 24/7 to deal with some of the issues We have recently refurbished all our rooms with double glazed windows. The council have also red routed all Smallbrook Queensway.

Regarding the Restaurant; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and a great service from our team I will pass the comments to my team to see if such problems doesn’t occur in the future.

Thank you once again, for your constructive comments.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Close to the railway station and the shops. Our room was very small, tea and coffee making facilities and glasses were situated underneath where you hung your clothes. The hairdryer was positioned where it was almost impossible to look in the mirror. No bath only a shower, but the shower curtain didn't reach the shower tray so when you had a shower the floor got soaked. Worst thing was the noise from the street at night, we were on the 5th floor. We didn't have any food at the hotel so can't comment on that. The price wasn't bad, check in and check out went smoothly, also when we arrived back in the evening the doorman checked that we were actually staying at the hotel so security good. Rooms were clean and tidy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear janhooper50,

Thank you for taking time to write your review.

Our hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the city center. Concerning the Room, I am sorry to hear your comments. Please contact me on your next visit to Birmingham.

Thank you once again, for your comments.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

City centre hotel next door to the Radisson. Five minutes from Birmingham New Street station.
The room was better than expected considering the external appearance of the hotel.
My main problem is the noise from the street. I had a room on the 5th floor and was very surprised by how poor the soundproofing of the windows (which looked relatively new was). There is continuous noise day and most of the night. I have stayed quite a few times at the Radisson next door where soundproofing is excellent, so the poor quality in this hotel was a surprise.
I would only ever stay here again if I can be guaranteed a room away from the street.

Dear MMmd

Thank you for taking time to write your review.

Thank you once again, for your constructive comments.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

If I'd had a choice I'd have arrived by train into Birmingham New Street Station - but on this trip I had my car with me and I foolishly parked in the NCP car park neighbouring the hotel - warning - the NCP car park is rather expensive. The lady at check-in suggested a better, less expensive car park located close to the hotel in China Town (APCOA - Wrottesley Street) which is £10 for 24hours if you show your hotel bill to the parking attendant. I decided to take the hotel's advice and went to move my car from the NCP - which charges £6 for the first 0-2 hours (ouch) and £20 for 24hours.

I had an executive room on the 6th floor which was comfortable, big and very clean. I ate in the hotel restaurant in the evening and enjoyed a very good risotto. Breakfast had the usual hotel offering.

Wifi is complimentary throughout the hotel - a good point and unusual for Holiday Inn. I enjoyed a comfortable sleep even though my room overlooked a central road.

I'd recommend this hotel for value and service - just be careful of the parking.

Dear WB3,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well. I will pass your comments to our team.

Being a city centre hotel, the parking is limited at the site, but with plenty of car parks within walking distance. As you mentioned, we do have a concession with Apcoa car park as you know (currently at £10.00 per 24 hours). If you contact the hotel, we would be more than happy to give you directions, for your next visit.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I don't really ever stay in holiday inn's and I wasn't expected such a nice hotel. The room we stayed in was huge, one of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. The staff were friendly and polite, would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Michelle75120

Dear Michelle75120,

Thank you for your lovely review on your recent stay with us, I am so glad everything went well. We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back again soon.

It is very encouraging to receive your comments.

Thank you again for your review.