“Great location, great value”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great location, great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn - Birmingham City Centre quite a few times. The locaion is excellent, very close to the Bullring, the train stations, parking and the bus routes.

There was a bit of a queue at reception when I arrived on this (and previous) stays, but the receptionist made a call and someone else came and helped, which reduced the queue quickly

The rooms are a mixed bag, sometimes a nice recently refurbed big room, sometines a big but tired room and sometimes a small (average) room. On this stay it was the latter, a perfectly reasonable and modern room. Nothing special but nothing less than you'd expect.

I also had a drink and something to eat in the bar, which is a nice room and had a nice outdoor area. They also have a couple of big screen TVs so we watched the tennis :-)

I'd really recomend this hotel as I've always enjopyed my stays and have never had any problems.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JezN
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear JezN

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well. Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write.

Managemen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Included this as my first stop as were touring some of the big cities. Stayed for two nights; good customer care on arrival, room available pretty much straight away. Rooms were average in size but clean and what you would expect at staying at a holiday inn. Bathroom consisted of a bath and a shower. Overal good for a short stay but could not stay here for longer then that as had no amenities such a fridge etc

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear highflyer8806

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I would also like to inform you that we are currently installing mini bars in all rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Check In
Check in was very efficient and they offered us a deal if we pre-booked breakfast for £10.50 per person which I thought was a good deal.

Room
We booked an executive room which was on the 8th floor. It had views over the back of the hotel so you could not hear any road noise outside. The noise inside the hotel, however, was a different story. You could hear people going down the corridor really easily and hear people in their room upstairs which did keep me awake.
The bed itself was very large (a zip link bed) and the bathroom, even though we were told it just had a shower, had a bath in it as well which was a welcome addition.
The WiFi was free in the room and it had a flat screen TV with all the usual range of freeview channels.
We were given bathrobes and slippers as it was an executive room and we were told we would have "free chocolate and orange juice" which amounted to a Mars bar and a small can of Britvic orange which for 2 people I found very strange - I think this was probably a bit stingy on Holiday Inn's part.

Breakfast
Breakfast had a wide selection of items including cereals and a full cooked breakfast. If you are looking for a continental-style breakfast (e.g. croissants, etc.) you will be disappointed as there were only croissants and pan au chocolate. The service in the restaurant was good and the waiter managed to keep his cool when a guest on the table behind us was extremely rude and borderline racist with him.

Security
Being a city centre hotel, security is always a concern but there is security on the main door and you can only get in at night if you have your key card which was very good.

Location
It is located a couple of minutes walk from the Bullring and from Broad Street so is very convenient. The only issue is that they do not have their own car park and if you park in the NCP behind the hotel it is £20 per night - something worth considering.

Room Tip: I had room 804 which was at the back of the hotel so had no external noise. This also has a bath.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear flyman2009

We are delighted that the room you were allocated was to your satisfaction. I am also so glad everything went well and our staff have looked after you.Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write.

Regarding the noise from neighbour room; please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests do get a great stay and undisturbed sleep overnight. As you notice we have put posters in all bedroom floors to eliminate this kind of incidents to occur.

Swansea, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Have just returned from a two night stay and I couldn't fault this hotel, it was clean, comfortable and the staff were great, especially Jason on Reception, he's a legend! I would definitely recommend staying here, it is tremendously well located for everything Birmingham has to offer. The only confusing thing was the car parking, I telephoned the hotel prior to my visit and was told to park in the Arcadia car park, which is across the road from the hotel near the Chinese quarter, as the hotel give a discounted rate at this car park; £2.00 off the car park charge per 24 hours. On checking out, the receptionist told us to show our hotel invoice to the car park attendant to validate our car park ticket before payment, however when we got to the car park the attendants kiosk was closed and there was no-one around to ask. We ended up paying full price, which was only £13 per 24 hours, but it was a tad confusing. Most hotels I've stayed in offer a ticket validation service at reception for off-site car parking, therefore this process was quite unusual. However, as for the hotel itself, I could not fault it and will definitely be staying here again :-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Welshlad15,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted that you were happy with all aspects of your stay In relation to the car park. Being a City Centre Hotel, we do not have our own car park. But we offer a competitive rate of £10 currently per 24 hours in a nearby secure car park. The Carpark offers a telephone number that you can call, Once you called them they will be with you in 2 minutes If you contact the Hotel directly for your next visit, we will be delighted to give you the necessary information.

I will also re-direct your comments to Reception.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

A swift, professional check-in to what seems to be a well rehearsed operation. A request made via email was honoured to my satisfaction - this made the start to my stay all that more enjoyable. There was a wedding at the hotel, but no noise could be heard from the ground floor reception area, showing that their facilities cater for all, bearing in mind that customers who wish to relax and sleep are first and foremost.

The room itself is spacious, with excellent views of the downtown area. The bathroom is compact, but has everything you need for a good soak. A lot of storage available for lengthy stays. The bed, very comfortable and large!

If I had one piece of parting information for the room, it would be for a mini refrigerator. It's nice to have an option to drink something and store your own personal purchases.

I would recommend you to stay here. It is minutes walk from New Street station and Bullring, 5 minutes walk from Moor Street station and other local attractions.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cubdoc
Fabio B, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Cubdoc,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. It is always good to receive such feedback and it does give that little extra incentive to do it even better the next time. I would also like to inform you that we are currently installing mini bars in all rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I had to come to Birmingham. I didn't want to, but I thought I would just stay in my room. So its noisy - I've just stayed a monday night (not Fri Sat) and the noise outside was horrendous. I did not sleep. I thought I'd watch TV but the TVs are all poor quality reception and clunky operation (hotel lock handsets). I thought I'd just watch a DVD or use my Xbox. No. The TVs are all locked out. Oh well, I'll use the gym. Its been closed for a while? So basically I'm going to spend my evenings just going the cinema over and over so I don't have to stay in my room.

I got to the restaurant as it opened and the food already looked warmed up and poor. There was little choice. the milk tasted 'odd'.

Every time I approach staff its all very much, that's how its done here, rather than oh let me see what we can do.

Lastly, I waited behind a huge queue of people to check in, while some staff stood around asking our surnames and then announcing it to the check out desk when we finally got there. I can say my own surname. I was stood there for 35 mins thinking "why don't they jump on a computer and try to whittle down this queue faster?" then a supervisor came and asked one "why don't you jump on a computer and try to whittle down the queue?" He began to, the supervisor disappeared and so did he.

I'm one of those people who will just try bear things and not say anything. I'm that gutted to stay here I just tried to cancel the rest of my stay and I was going to walk to one of the huge choice of hotels nearby. However, I'm booked in with a conference so have to stay all week. Gutted. I'm seriously considering paying for another hotel independently.

I normally don't mind a peaceful little break for a week, but I hate this.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the front - the main road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Finsbury R,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your visit to Holiday Inn Birmingham City. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay.

We do not have a leisure facility on site and never advertise to have one. I am sorry that you may have been given the wrong impression about the leisure facility. We are currently upgarding all our TVs with Samsung Smart TVs which will give all our guests a much wider choice of TV and Radio channels as well as direct access to internet which is also offered as complimentary at this property.

If you contact the Hotel directly, we would be in a better position to address all your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre.

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

East Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel before, and returned because of it's central location. This was the first time we had dinner in the hotel, and were impressed with the enthusiasm of the restaurant staff.
As before, the staff on the reception desk were friendly and helpful.
We were upgraded to an executive room, which was very spacious.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the floor that is just above reception. The ceilings seem very low.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear looklovely