“Noisy, busy, clumsy”

Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel 3 nights this week, on business. Despite having requested a quiet room, I was placed on the first floor where partygoers accessing the car park kept me awake until 2am every night. This was followed by noisy drivers dragging their delivery cages at the back door, a couple of floors above my window. Just as I thought it couldnt get any worse, the glass recycling unit started sorting their millions of glass bottles, at the back door of course, this morning at about 5am. Luckily, they were gone by 6am. So, I was able to sleep between 11 and 5 and then between 6 and 6.30 in my "quiet room". I can't even begin to imagine what staying in a noisy room must be like. My kind boyfriend attempted to buy ear plugs from the vending machine, but this being the holiday inn, the machine didnt work out of solidarity for the lift that didnt work either throughout the entire week. The economic downturn has started to hit the hotel really badly and the service is simply appalling. Expect paper napkins (not very environmentally friendly) and a huge television, rendered useless as you cant see it from the bed. A piece of advice: do not attempt to move the bed or the fluffs of dust and grime will come and eat you!.....

Room Tip: There must be a reason why when all other hotels are full, this one has always got availability!. Do...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DieKabine
Joanna O, Marketing Executive at Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2016

Dear DieKabine,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay, as that is not up to our normal standards. We will share your feedback with our staff and make the necessary changes. We hope you choose to stay with us again, so we can show you our true level of service.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre

Reviewed December 15, 2011

We arrived at 9 am and they gave us a room and looked after our bag the following day.Take ear plugs. It is noisy at night if you want to get a good night sleep.

We stayed in a standard room which was fine. It was clean and small. The ironing board simply stands up in the room . No wardrobe.

The bathroom is in need of replacing.

I think we paid £60 for the night not including breakfast. Note if a priority club card memeber you have to pay for an upgarde. At other Holiday Inns I have had an automatic upgrade - even to a suite in Belfast!

Would only stay here again if it was cheaper than other travel lodge style hotels. Nothing to make you go back for.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear emmalucy,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your stay. I am very sorry to hear that several things throughout your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

Four of us stayed here while the Christmas market was on in the town. Afterwards, it would have been lovely to come back to the hotel for a quiet drink together. However, the bar was closed as the manager had decided to make money by letting it to a Christmas party (despite the bar being present on the web site which I thought made it a contractual provision) and we were dumped in the basement, in a conference room. It took half an hour to get served - due not to the waiter but to the appalling lack of forethought which made him queue for beer in the bar - and most residents who joined us left at once. Convivial evening ? Not a chance.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Dear styxton,

Reviewed December 8, 2011

I regularly stay in this hotel and I am always pleased.

It is walking distance from New Street station, close to The Arcade (which is full of bars and restaurants) and near the 02.

The rooms are spacious, clean and modern. Great for both a romantic break or a girly weekend away.

Room Tip: Book with - booking.com Thats how Iget a good deal.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Annahoj1020,

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I needed a City Centre hotel close to New Street Station for a one night business stop-over and in every respect this Holiday Inn met the requirement.
Check-in was very efficient and I was quickly in my room. The room I was allocated was clean although it could have done with a little more light and had I wanted to work it may have been difficult. My only real issue with the room was there were no drawers so a lot of my clothes and papers remained in my suitcase overnight. Fine for an overnight stop, but it wouldn’t have been so good if I had been there for several days.
Room service menu is limited; I opted for a burger which was served promptly and was well cooked and the portion sizes were good.
Despite a number of people saying the hotel is noisy, I had no problem getting off to sleep and slept through to 6:15 when the alarm clock went off.
Breakfast was the usual buffet. The choice of cereals was limited and the orange juice and coffee (self service) were poor quality. But this was more than made up for by an excellent hot buffet.
And at the end of the stay check-out was very quick and I was on the platform at New St in under 15 minutes of leaving my room.
This is perhaps not my number 1 choice in Birmingham, but for somewhere for one night close to the station it meets the mark.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear Andy_L680,

Thank you for providing us with such detailed feedback about your stay. I am very sorry to hear that several things throughout your stay did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

The convenient location of this hotel is the only thing that I liked. Although there was nothing particularly wrong with the place everything was only just acceptable and for this sort of money I would normally expect a lot more, even in a city centre location. Disengaged staff with no real desire to help ( or in some cases even be there ! ) I got the feeling they were just completing a process rather than delivering customer service. The rooms were very clean but at first it seemed there were no windows until I discovered that they were behind two enormous wooden boards, my room had a horrible view too. The dinners weren't great, very mass produced and no imagination, there were loads of staff wanderig around but trying to get one of them to take my order or ask for anything was almost inpossible without having to stand up and go over to one of them. The breakfasts were a similarly average affair. Decor wise this hotel is a bit dated but everything works.Just don't expect much, if all you need is a clean place to sleep then it is fine but for anything else I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get one that doesn't look over the rear
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear PRR79,

Thank you for your candid review. We apologize that your recent stay did not meet expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our services. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We were on the 7th floor, lift was old and could do with a little maintanence. We decided to have a meal in the resturant but the desserts was not half as good as the choices on the in room menu so we decided to order cheescake x2 to the room and was charged £14.50 for the priviledge. We was absolutely disgusted as on the menu it stated £4.50! We wouldn't mind only it tasted as if it had beed sat for 2 weeks before it was served! We stayed for 2 nights, the first night wasn't too bad noise wise (sunday night) but monday night we got a grand total of 1 hour sleep after all the clubbers went home at 5am the noise began in the hotel!!!! After we complained at reception and all they said was we have had a battle with them to keep the noise down! No apologises and no compensation or any sign of making it better! I will not be staying again!

• Stayed: November 2011