“Great for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
essex
“Great for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

Stayed at Westmead Hotel for three nights in half term with my husband and one child. All in all we had a good stay, a few niggly problems: TV wouldn't work properly and took two phone calls to get in sorted, the beds although nice and big are very uncomfortable, when we ordered a portion of fries from the hotel bar they said there was no tomato ketchup!! how odd we thought.

The hotel is modern and very clean(slightly chilly perhaps but we did go in February). The rooms had good heating and were large enough as was the bathroom. Plenty of towels and complementary toiletries if you needed them. As i said the bed was lovely and big but really not very comfortable.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis, which i'm pleased we did because although breakfast was good it cost £13!! which i didn't feel was worth that.

The hotel is a little way out of Birmingham but not too far, and was great for Cadburys World. All in all a good stay espicially for the money we paid.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Derbys
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

We chose this hotel due its location to our workplace the next day.
From the outside it looks quite nice but actually it is really basic for the price and feels very unwelcoming.
Upon arrival the lady on reception was neither friendyl or unfriendly...can't say I blame her though. The reception area is souless.
The rooms whilst very big are very basic. There is a tv but it's an old style tv with only 5 channels...not great for a business trip where there is little else to do.
My colleague was given the intenet access number...it was free but it didn't work, so was useless really.
Whilst we were in the bar, some people who I guess are the owners arrived from outside with a dog. I guess they were owners as one of them walked behind the bar helping him to snacks....very strange and not really very appropriate...especially the dog.
The bed was huge and very comfy and I slept really well.
The breakfast was ok....bowls of chopped fruit, danish pastries, cereal and a cooked option for a pricely £11.50. I thought considering the room rate, this was over the top and unnecessary.
Probably won't stay again in a rush and probably wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

My Partner treated me to a overnight stay, 4 course candle lite dinner and a champagne breakfast at the westmead and i can honestly say it was the best valentines i have ever had. We paid just 99 pound for all of the above and it was the best money we have spent.

All the staff were so helpful and nothing was too uch trouble. The atmosphere was lovely and our room was beautiful with rose petals on our bed and champagne and chocolates in the room.

Well worth a visit. We will definately be returning.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2011

We were really pleased with the overall value for money we recieved from the hotel during our wedding day, and the night before when we enjoyed a smaller meal with family friends.

Food - really good for the price on both the nights we ate, puddings were especially good, (though some people found the chocolate cake a little dry). Breakfast was well presented, tasty and the pastries were good too.

A small number of the glasses and ome of cutlery had smears on and lipstick marks, this was changed quickly when we asked.

Rooms - all our guests were pleased with their rooms and we have recieved no complaints. Everyone was amazed at the quality and size for the price. There were a few problems with room key cards though.

Staff - generally great, bar and serving staff made a real effort and there were nice touches - like putting flowers in water over night. Occassionally the reception staff could have been friendlier and some of our guest were not given the correct room rate when booking. The hotel corrected this very quickly where possible.

This venue is not for everyone, places to pose for photo's are limited and there are no grounds, so it depends what matters to you. I would recomend checking the place out, but it will depend on how worried you are about value for money on your wedding day v that perfect country house hotel.

Overall really pleased, and would recomend as a venue for weddings and a place to stop over as it is just of the M42. It can be a bit tricky to spot though, look out for the tree lights and the sign.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

We had an excellent New Years Party 2010, Nothing was too much trouble, Ben & his team are very welcoming, some nice touches High Tea, Champagne and canapés and next ay day breakfast was served until mid day which was very welcome as we partied until 02:30am, Looking forward to next New Year

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

We attended a wedding here in December. On arrival at the hotel we went into the Lobby Bar until the function room was ready. My partner was at the bar for 15 minutes waiting to buy a drink. there was one bar staff serving. Every glass he picked up he was having to check if they were clean as most had lipstick marks!!!

We were supposed to sit down for the meal at 3, but didn't till 4.40....which is disgusting to have to wait that long (no fault of the Bride and Groom) the hotel had messed it up.

We booked a room at short notice (about 5) which was great, the function itself was lovely decorated beautifully until I looked at my glasses and two out of three had lip stick marks on them... After the meal and the speeches we went up to our room about 9 o'clock and to my horror we walked into a dirty room it had not been cleaned from the last occupants, dirty dinner plates on the floor, towels all over the floor. I went straight down to reception where they admitted they had made a mistake but I mean come on we got the room at 5 and this was now 9pm. They gave us the room opposite which was fine clean and tidy. We put the heating on through out the night as it was cold. It kept waking us up making clunking noises. In the morning we awoke opened the curtains to find a lovely view of a BRICK WALL literally it was like something from hotels from hell. The shower was freezing too.

In the brochure it said breakfast finished at 9.30 so we arrived at the restaurant for 9.10. The manager asked us to take a seat in the hotel bar until a table was ready and we would wait no more than 10 minutes. At 9.25 other hotel guests were arriving and being seated straight away. I approached one of the other waitresses and explained that we had been waiting and she was seating other guests. Her reply was "Well, I didn't know" and walked off out the back. I sat back down in the bar and continued to wait. At 9.40 we were still waiting. I then spoke to another waitress and explained the situation she also said I didn't know you were waiting and apologised. We were eventually seated at 9.50. We ordered 3 rounds of toast and coffee before deciding on breakfast. A huge pot of coffee was brought to the table with enough milk for 2 drinks. Then the toast arrived 2 slices of what can only be explained as warm bread.... We had ordered 3 rounds!!! I asked for toast again and then received 3 slices which weren't much better. Then realised there were no butter on the table and had to wait fore that as well whilst the toast was going cold. We finally ordered breakfast and waited over 20 minutes for that. They got my order wrong too. I was disappointed with the Bride and Grooms breakfast too there was nothing special about it what so ever.

Overall I would recommend no one to book a wedding here and don't even bother staying.

I did ask to see the manager on checkout so I could let her know my feelings. Your wedding day is supposed to be the most memorable day of your life. There didn't seem to be any special extras like breakfast or the wait on the day to be seated for the meal. I'm not sure of the Bride and Grooms experience I know if it had of been my wedding day I would have been very disappointed. The manager did say that the Hotel caters for 80 wedding a year ~ to my response "Well you should be experts at it then" she then continued to explain that the problems that occurred the previous day (late Meal) was the fact that she wasn't there. (Funny that because she sold us the room at 5)!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicolajane
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

We booked this hotel due to the good reviews on here as we had a conference in Birmingham. The hotel was fantastic, a pleasure to stay in and one of the best ones I have been to in Birmingham. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and catered to our every need.

The food was outstanding, fantastic variety and the restarant staff were excellent.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business