“Great value and well looked after during wedding”
Review of Westmead Hotel

Westmead Hotel
Ranked #50 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We were really pleased with the overall value for money we recieved from the hotel during our wedding day, and the night before when we enjoyed a smaller meal with family friends.

Food - really good for the price on both the nights we ate, puddings were especially good, (though some people found the chocolate cake a little dry). Breakfast was well presented, tasty and the pastries were good too.

A small number of the glasses and ome of cutlery had smears on and lipstick marks, this was changed quickly when we asked.

Rooms - all our guests were pleased with their rooms and we have recieved no complaints. Everyone was amazed at the quality and size for the price. There were a few problems with room key cards though.

Staff - generally great, bar and serving staff made a real effort and there were nice touches - like putting flowers in water over night. Occassionally the reception staff could have been friendlier and some of our guest were not given the correct room rate when booking. The hotel corrected this very quickly where possible.

This venue is not for everyone, places to pose for photo's are limited and there are no grounds, so it depends what matters to you. I would recomend checking the place out, but it will depend on how worried you are about value for money on your wedding day v that perfect country house hotel.

Overall really pleased, and would recomend as a venue for weddings and a place to stop over as it is just of the M42. It can be a bit tricky to spot though, look out for the tree lights and the sign.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2011

We had an excellent New Years Party 2010, Nothing was too much trouble, Ben & his team are very welcoming, some nice touches High Tea, Champagne and canapés and next ay day breakfast was served until mid day which was very welcome as we partied until 02:30am, Looking forward to next New Year

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We attended a wedding here in December. On arrival at the hotel we went into the Lobby Bar until the function room was ready. My partner was at the bar for 15 minutes waiting to buy a drink. there was one bar staff serving. Every glass he picked up he was having to check if they were clean as most had lipstick marks!!!

We were supposed to sit down for the meal at 3, but didn't till 4.40....which is disgusting to have to wait that long (no fault of the Bride and Groom) the hotel had messed it up.

We booked a room at short notice (about 5) which was great, the function itself was lovely decorated beautifully until I looked at my glasses and two out of three had lip stick marks on them... After the meal and the speeches we went up to our room about 9 o'clock and to my horror we walked into a dirty room it had not been cleaned from the last occupants, dirty dinner plates on the floor, towels all over the floor. I went straight down to reception where they admitted they had made a mistake but I mean come on we got the room at 5 and this was now 9pm. They gave us the room opposite which was fine clean and tidy. We put the heating on through out the night as it was cold. It kept waking us up making clunking noises. In the morning we awoke opened the curtains to find a lovely view of a BRICK WALL literally it was like something from hotels from hell. The shower was freezing too.

In the brochure it said breakfast finished at 9.30 so we arrived at the restaurant for 9.10. The manager asked us to take a seat in the hotel bar until a table was ready and we would wait no more than 10 minutes. At 9.25 other hotel guests were arriving and being seated straight away. I approached one of the other waitresses and explained that we had been waiting and she was seating other guests. Her reply was "Well, I didn't know" and walked off out the back. I sat back down in the bar and continued to wait. At 9.40 we were still waiting. I then spoke to another waitress and explained the situation she also said I didn't know you were waiting and apologised. We were eventually seated at 9.50. We ordered 3 rounds of toast and coffee before deciding on breakfast. A huge pot of coffee was brought to the table with enough milk for 2 drinks. Then the toast arrived 2 slices of what can only be explained as warm bread.... We had ordered 3 rounds!!! I asked for toast again and then received 3 slices which weren't much better. Then realised there were no butter on the table and had to wait fore that as well whilst the toast was going cold. We finally ordered breakfast and waited over 20 minutes for that. They got my order wrong too. I was disappointed with the Bride and Grooms breakfast too there was nothing special about it what so ever.

Overall I would recommend no one to book a wedding here and don't even bother staying.

I did ask to see the manager on checkout so I could let her know my feelings. Your wedding day is supposed to be the most memorable day of your life. There didn't seem to be any special extras like breakfast or the wait on the day to be seated for the meal. I'm not sure of the Bride and Grooms experience I know if it had of been my wedding day I would have been very disappointed. The manager did say that the Hotel caters for 80 wedding a year ~ to my response "Well you should be experts at it then" she then continued to explain that the problems that occurred the previous day (late Meal) was the fact that she wasn't there. (Funny that because she sold us the room at 5)!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicolajane
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We booked this hotel due to the good reviews on here as we had a conference in Birmingham. The hotel was fantastic, a pleasure to stay in and one of the best ones I have been to in Birmingham. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and catered to our every need.

The food was outstanding, fantastic variety and the restarant staff were excellent.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2010

The Hotel has a great setup for a group of family friends to stay. There is a cosy lounge area to put your feet up for few and staff service was very helpful and jolly. I was particularly shocked with how finger licking good the food was for dinner. Plenty of parking space also.

Reviewed October 1, 2010

We had our wedding here on 24th September, we had only decided to get married 7 weeks before and had to find a venue pretty quickly!! As my husband is in the army and is due to go to Afghanistan in October, we needed to find somewhere that could help us arrange it before he goes.
It took just one phone call and visit to Ben, and that was it!! As soon as I walked in I knew that was the perfect place for our wedding, nothing was too much trouble. Janine the wedding co ordinator is absolutely amazing, and by the time the wedding was here I felt like she was a good friend of ours, she even helped me carry my dress from the car!! (it needed 2 of us!!)
If anyone is looking for somewhere to have their wedding, then I would strongly recommend The Westmead Hotel.
They gave us our perfect wedding day.

Thank you to all that helped us.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

The minute we walked in to this hotel we were
with friendly, professional and helpful staff. Who made our mind up to decide to have our Wedding event spent here within 10 mins of viewing and talking to different members of staff. Throughout the year leading up to the day we had lots of information sent to us regarding the full breakdown of the wedding package. The wedding coordinator phoned us on many occasions to run through the planned day and altered any changes without question.
The Wedding Day itself was perfect and ran without any issues whatsoever and was carefully managed by the Master of ceremonies (Liam) who did a flawless job to ensure everything ran as smooth as possible. Even the lady in reception gave my wife her hair grips ( long story!).
The room we had for the day was decorated beautifully and the food & drink was outstanding and served in a speedy organised way. We also noticed we the Bride & Groom were always served first, which was a really nice touch.
The bridal suite was warm and very welcoming to spend the night in (We loved it)
The following day we had breakfast which again was excellent all round.
So to you Ben, you run an excellent hotel with the best working staff i have seen in a long time. So please pass our regards to you and all your staff for there hard work to make our Wedding day the best day of our lives.
Matt & Jo Hardy

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
The Eaton Hotel
#12 of 118 in Birmingham
Ladywood
Hampton by Hilton Birmingham City North

Been to Westmead Hotel? Share your experiences!