“Great hotel...excellent location..what more do you want!”
Review of Westmead Hotel

Westmead Hotel
Ranked #48 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel...excellent location..what more do you want!”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a well earned break....it was delightful, great staff, great food and an excellent location as you can easily get into Birmingham City and also the Countryside, so is a great base for exploring!
I would definitely recommend a visit and will be staying again.....probably on business next time - see you soon!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I recently attended a wedding in august, I turned up and wondered why so many people were dressed in dark clothing as I thought I was attending a wedding and had to question if I had turned up to the right place? I was aghast to find out that there was a wake at the same time as the wedding!!! This made me feel slightly uncomfortable so I can't imagine how the bridal family must have felt. The hotel was itself nice but this was overshadowed by a wedding and wake being held at the same time. There was no separation between the wedding and wake so we were always crossing paths. This is obviously poor management and anyone thinking of holding a wedding there please think twice. I know in the hotel business you have to provide a good service and make as much money as possible but this was not good service and the making money in such a way was one step too far...........

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
West Midlands
Reviewed August 30, 2010

A few weeks ago it was our beautiful friends wedding here at the Westmead hotel; it was something that she had been planning for quite a while. It was the event of the year and something that we had all been looking forward too so very much.
As we pulled in to the hotel we noticed that the decking area outside (which was the main smoking area) was packed with people from another party. It wasn't long before we all realised that the other party was in fact a funeral/wake.
As you can probably imagine the laughter we shared on the way to the venue was soon silenced by this fact.
We were a little early but recalled that the bride had previously mentioned that there was a separate bar within the hotel and decided we would go for a drink before hand. However it soon became apparent that the other party's function was taking place in the bar and over spilled into the lobby area and onto the decking areas outside. We decided to hang around outside until nearer the time that the ceremony was due to begin. It was only then that we saw one of the bridesmaids who guided us to a separate room where our wedding party had been allocated space for pre-ceremony drinks. Little did we know this whilst we were standing outside!!
Ok, so we had a waiter that was happy to serve us drinks rather than go to the bar....which I’m sure you would agree is the least they could do but I actually felt quite sorry for this waiter running back and forth from one end of the hotel to other end where the bar was located.
Eventually we were called into the ceremony venue (which was 20 minutes late in starting and this was not down to the Bride or Groom!). The Ceremony was beautiful and I cannot fault the service.
After the ceremony it was time for the wedding photos, which is when I felt for the funeral party as a lot of the photos were taken in the lovely garden area which just happened to be right opposite the decking area where some of the funeral party were sitting.

I could go on to mention that there were wedding crashers on the evening from the other party but luckily they kept themselves to themselves and this really didn't affect anybody.

Although the management had contacted the bridal party a couple of days before the ceremony to advise that there would be another party at the venue on the same day but assured the bride that this event would take place earlier in the day and would NOT affect their party what so ever. When pressed on what kind of party this was, the bride was told it was a 'family celebration' and still to this day the hotel management will not admit that the other party was a wake or admit to there being any problems with the service provided.

I also feel sorry for the other party who had to watch on as the happy couple were photographed and smiled with joy. This cannot have been easy considering it is now understood to have been a young lad’s funeral that day. I wonder if they were told that the wedding was just a 'family celebration'?!

I appreciate times are hard in the current economical state and to turn away business is hard to do but when you are tarnishing your own reputation, surely it is better to do the right thing and not ruin everything your business promises to offer?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Valshas2010
Consett
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I stayed at the Westmead Hotel for a weekend break. We had an excellent time throughout. Good welcome at reception, spacious & clean room and the best thing about the whole stay was the lovely staff throughout the building. Everyone seemed well trained and extremely helpful, nothing seemed too much and especially the restaurant staff at dinner time were great.
We had dinner at the hotel on the first night and the food was excellent, breakfast was nicely cooked in the mornings and had a very good variety too.
Overall a great short break - just what the doctor ordered (o;

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John_Gregory
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I recently attended a wedding at the Westmead Hotel and to my horror when we pulled up at the hotel there was a wake in the bar area and veranda outside. We did not know where to put ourselves as we entered the hotel as it was obviously a funeral as everyone was dressed in black and there was a very solemn atmosphere. It was extremely sad at what should have been a happy wedding, I felt extremely saddened for the family at the wake.
Extremely bad judgment by the management. I WILL NOT BE RECOMMENDING THIS VENUE TO ANYONE FOR ANY OCCASION AS THE MANAGEMENT HAVE NO RESPECT.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank shosh35
Solihill
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I attended a wedding here in August an although I have to say the room and service were very good I was appauled when we arrived to find that the hotel had booked a wake at the same time as my friends wedding!!! The rooms really were not big enough to accomodate two large events but this aside I feel the management should have thought carefully about having a wedding and wake at the same venue, unfortunatly it seems pound signs overuled peoples feelings on this occasion and did dampen the day.

• Stayed August 2010
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I stayed in this hotel because it was near to a training centre I was attending; it was comfortable and had a good room service menu, which is also their lounge menu. The restaurant has a separate, more expensive, menu. The bar/lounge is comfortable and spacious.
I was disappointed not to have any air conditioning as the room was warm and made sleeping difficult as the duvets are very heavy.
The staff was always helpful and polite.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business