“Fantastic family break”
Review of Westmead Hotel

Westmead Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Superb weekend away. Great rate including a visit to Cadburys World. The staff extremely helpful and friendly. The room was spacious accommodating 2 adults and 2 children. Our bed was enormous! The restaurant was lovely with a good choice of food and I have to say the food was delicious. The staff loved the children. They even provided activity packs and chocolate in the room for the children. All in all a lovely experience and will definitely book again.

Room Tip: I asked for a newly renovated room but apparently the hotel has very nearly finished the refurbishme...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 13, 2013

First of all I am remiss in not writing this review sooner. The hotel location is great for those in need of easy drives around the south side of Birmingham, and with easy access to the M42, its a perfect roadway location (its not to close to the roads so there is no road noise to speak of.)
There is ample parking, the lobby is excellent, and the rooms remind me of American hotels. Beds were comfortable, tea and coffee in room, free wi-fi (yes free, unlike the big chains in the UK who should be embarrassed!) excellent breakfast choices and a friendly bar with dinner available at night as well as a restaurant. The staff were excellent and always trying to help and the manager even came over to identify himself and offer his condolences when he heard why we were there.
Prices were good for the rooms and the food and drink, however the real value was the staff, who were unlike the staff in many English hotels I have stayed at in that they were polite, helpful and would always make themselves available to assist with anything.
I could not find fault in this hotel, all elements of the hotel were very good to excellent and I plan to use it exclusively when returning to the same area on future visits to see family. Thanks to all the staff that made our stay most welcome.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were arranging a birthday surprise for our 9 year old to Cadbury World and wanted to stay over after a day of eating chocolate all day!
We found this hotel on the Internet and it had a special offer of 1 night accommodation and included entry tickets to Cadbury World.
We arrived at 11.30 and the room was ready to check in, so we walked around, got familiar with the property and then drove about 10 mins to CW.
We had booked dinner for that evening, it was a set menu with a good selection, but it was not set in stone, Jamie was our host for the evening and nothing was too much trouble, he was welcoming and informative about everything on the menu.
The food was great, a good wine list and a lovely setting for dinner and to celebrate my daughter 's birthday.
The room was perfect for us, we had 2 twin beds made up into a Super King and 2 small camp beds for my daughters, it was ideal, bathroom was an adequate size, heating was just right and tea/coffee facilities was just perfect.
All in all, the weekend was great, good location and great hotel with lovely staff. Thank you!

Room Tip: Maybe if there are many families or groups, request a room away from them as it can be a little nois...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 1Fiona-AW
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We havent actually stayed here but have had saturday and Sunday lunch as the hotel is only a short drive from where we live.

The Hotel itself is a little dated but the staff are always really friendly and the food is reasonably priced for hotel food. The Sunday lunch is a carvery and it is always fairly quiet in the restaurant which we like.

All in all s lovely place to go and chill out :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CnD08
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I recently went to the WestMead Hotel for a special Valentine Meal on the 14th February 2013. We had done this the previous year and were very pleased with the quiet restaurant and quality of food, so we decided to repeat the experience. However, this year, was a disaster from start to finish. Firstly, we were asked to pay up front for our meals before we even had them. I do not think this is good customer practice for several obvious reasons. I expressed my concerns about this before the meal to the hotel manager via email. The manager assured me that if we could not make the meal or were not happy with the food we would be given a voucher. I do not think this is good enough. Customers should be entitled to their money back and not forced to go back to the restaurant again. However, I accepted this and we went along to the valentine meal. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by a young girl who asked us our names and pointed to where we would be sitting. I was shocked to see that we would not be sitting in the restaurant and our table was situated, along with many other tables, in the bar area. There were lots of people dining and the tables were close together and it was quite noisy. People were constantly moving back and forth along the small gap between our table and the others. We felt cramped and felt like we were in a gold fish bowl with no privacy at all. It seemed as if the hotel had just crammed in as many customers as possible without any regard for the customers concerened. I was very disappointed at this and it was nothing like the previous year. Had I known this I would not have paid £25 pounds each for the meal. For starters I had the avacado with cheese which, I have to say, was pathetic. I managed to find a very small piece of avacado underneath the salad and ate my starter in a matter of seconds. My husband had the fish cake which seemed to be at least more filling. For our main meals we both had the rib eye steak. I ordered my steak medium. When my steak arrived and I cut it up ( a steak knife was not provided) the steak was very pink in the middle and the blood was oozing out. My plate was a wash with blood and I felt quite sick. After this I could not eat my steak at all and I left it. My husbands steak was well done so he was Ok and ate his meal. I ate the mash and veg which was ok. For dessert we asked if we could have cheese and biscuites as this was not on the menu. We were told we could have this but we would have to pay extra, which I was not happy about at all. We were served our cheese platter without any butter or a knife to use and we had to ask for this. No grapes were provided with the platter which is normally the case. What annoyed me more than anything else was that we were asked by a waitress if we wanted to pay for our wine at the end of the meal or pay as you go. We thought this a bit odd but said we would pay as we go. Whilst my husband was eating his starter the waitress came over and asked my husband to pay for the wine. My husband had to stop eating and pay for the wine. I was very angry at this but said nothing as I could see myhusband was already angry. What kind of way is this to treat customers? It is rude to iterrupt people to ask them to pay for an item whilst they are eating! I left the hotel hungry as I all had eaten was the cheese a tiny bit of avacado. When you pay £25 pound for a meal plus extra for dessert you should not leave the hotel hungry as I did. I am very disappointed with the meal and the whole way the tables were laid out. I will never go to the hotel again, not even if they paid me!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank diamondlady11
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had been to this place with my wife just few months before, to meet a friend. Each activity from check in to check out, was very smooth and pleasant. We didn’t knew, much about the place, one of my colleagues advised me to stay here. Thanks a lot to him. We booked our room on the second floor, so could not catch good views of that place. But, the size of the room was good and possessed things of need not gilded and stuffed with useless things. Food was perfect, but a little expensive than other places. Our stay was very comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Second stay at the Westmead - little apprehensive ... would it be as good as last time ?
Absolutely. The staff at check in were friendly and helpful; super meal in the restaurant, large clean bed rooms and a comfortable bed finished with a great breakfast the following morning.
Really enjoyed our stay again - would recommend the hotel strongly based on our two visits. Special mention for Jamie in the restaurant who typifies everything good about the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends