“Convenient hotel but in need of attention to detail”

Ibis Birmingham Bordesley
Ranked #72 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I tend to give my ratings taking into account the price paid and how the hotel is marketed. This is a hotel on the outskirts of Birmingham where you get to stay for approximately £40/night. For that price, I do not expect a spa or 5 star hotel amenities!

What I did get for my £40 was a comfortable and squeaky clean room. I emailed ahead of time to ask a few questions and they were answered promptly and cheerfully by Damien. Getting to the hotel isn't that easy on foot (I was coming from New Street station) so would suggest a taxi if you don't know the area. My welcome at reception was warm and the friendliness continued with the chatty guy in the lift who was repairing a sign.

My room was basic but had everything I needed. It was spotless with a little pod bathroom making great use of space-the shower was particularly spacious. A kind of universal cleaning gel was provided for the sink and shower. I loved showering there: great power! My bed was comfortable (would have preferred a top sheet though) and liked the free and fast wifi. The TV had basic channels but enough to amuse me for the night.

No mini fridge but tea and coffee making facilities. When I went downstairs to ask for a few more tea bags and milks, the lovely guy on reception gave me lots so I was extremely content! They also helpfully booked a taxi for me the next morning which was bang on time/early.

Minor complaint: hairdryers are not provided in rooms but are meant to be available at reception. They were all gone when I tried to get one on a Sunday evening. Not ideal! Had to go to my job interview with slept-in hair. Not part of my initial master plan. I really think they need to invest in a few more.

FYI:
-no irons in the room but there's an ironing room on level 2
-there is no room service but you can get a (limited) range of meals downstairs and are free to take them away with you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Marc L, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Ibis Birmingham Bordesley. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

On arriving at the hotel we were told by reception that they didnt have a reservation for us and explained that we may have got the wrong ibis hotel so she checked around other ibis hotels to tell us that nowhere had our reservation.i had booked our stay 3months prior to arriving at the hotel. As i couldnt remember which company i had booked through the receptionist told me there was nothing she could do so myself, my husband and 2 friends had to sit in the lobby and search on the internet for 2 hours for the company we booked with. (Bearing in mind we was in a rush as was going to the NIA arena shortly) we came to the decision that we would just have to stay at this ibis hotel and pay an extra £25 per couple then what we was originally supposed to be paying (£39). Later on that evening i then recieved a voicemail on my phone asking what time i would be arriving at the ibis budget city centre hotel so i went down to reception to explain and the guy rang the hotel to cancel our stay and make sure we werent charged for not turning up. The next morning while checking out i explained to the recpetionist who was on the previous day what had happened and i told her we wasnt happy paying the extra money when it was her mistake for not checking all hotels properly. She told me there was nothing she could do and to take it up with the other hotel. Room service was also appauling, why call it room service when we have to go down to reception to get our food and extra teabags etc ourselfs. The only thing good about the hotel was that the room was clean. Overall i would never stay at this hotel and would never reccomend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013
Marc L, General Manager at Ibis Birmingham Bordesley, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations, and I feel I can clarify some concerns for you including why our guests are invited to reception for additional teas and coffees as Ibis Hotels offer don't offer room service. I would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on 0121 5062600

Marc Lock

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This hotel was lovely to stay in. We only stayed one night, but it was very clean and comfy and we had a good night's sleep in the huge bed. The staff were very helpful and friendly, always smiling. The continental breakfast was tasty and good value.
we will definitely stay here again when we return to Birmingham in a couple of months.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple